Progress on Picaxe-18M2?

artswan

The Picaxe-18M2 is suppose to be released this month. Has anyone heard anything on the progress? Is it on schedule? I am very excited to try it out! :) Has anyone heard anything about a Picaxe-08M2 being produced?

westaust55

18M2 will arrive when it arrives.
July was a forecast not a Guarantee and still 18 days of July to go . . . .

08M2 where have you heard about that.
The only references here so far, are tongue-in-cheek humour :eek:

artswan

18M2 will arrive when it arrives.
July was a forecast not a Guarantee and still 18 days of July to go . . . .

08M2 where have you heard about that.
The only references here so far, are tongue-in-cheek humour :eek:
Logicator mentions the Picaxe-08M2 in some of their latest literature:

www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/cat_06.pdf

It's suppose to be base on Microchip's new 12F1822:

http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en544839

.. up to 32Mhz clock speed, operates on as little as 1.8 Volts, comes in 2 variants... the usual M2 stuff.

:)

Art

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
That's a typo in an out of date version of the Logicator sheet (now updated). The only part in the M2 range at present is the 18M2. We are also proposing a 14M2 and 20M2 at some point in the future, but no details on a release date yet.

Last edited:

lbenson

Quite a nice chip there, the 12F1822, with USART/SPI/I2C, etc, but still only 3.5K flash and 256 bytes EEPROM, the same as the 08M's PIC12F683, so no apparent relief for the 08M's biggest drawback--lack of program space. I'd love to hear otherwise.

Ah ... a proposed 14M2. That would be very nice if it had additional program memory relative to the 14M.

Last edited:

artswan

That's a typo in an out of date version of the Logicator sheet (now updated). The only part in the M2 range at present is the 18M2. We are also proposing a 14M2 and 20M2 at some point in the future, but no details on a release date yet.
Any plans for an updated 8-pin Picaxe then?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
If the technology becomes available we constantly review all options for all sizes. But nothing at present for 8 pin.

Dippy

Yeah, there's a new one in about 3 weeks.
100k code space, 2 usarts , 16bit ADC, RTC, built-in 2.4GHz RF . Runs at 128MHz using a ds core and uses 1 uA. Oh, and it has 9 pins and writes the code for you.
It's called the PIC-WHY-CAN'T-U-JUST-WAIT-LIKE-EVERYONE-ELSE-AXE. :)

Dave E

I love the 08M! Best BASIC language micro on the market.

Most of my projects use an 08M somewhere. Even when it is not the main controller. They are so small and cheap that you can use them for anything. The ONLY drawback, IMHO, is the program memory space.

I vote for an 08M2 also.

Dave E

John West

100k code space, 2 usarts , 16bit ADC, RTC, built-in 2.4GHz RF . Runs at 128MHz using a ds core and uses 1 uA. Oh, and it has 9 pins and writes the code for you.
Plus, those 9 pins provide up to 40 individually programmable I/O's! Oh, and it runs directly on sunlight.

It's ready for production right now with the exception of one little tiny bug - it keeps saying "I'm sorry Dave. I can't do that." But 3 weeks oughta allow time to fix that. We hope.

Dave E

Well I guess I can cut one pin off.

artswan

Good! Parallel tasking too? :)

Oh, and I want a new RCTIME command for capacitive sensors.

:)

artswan

16-bit and 32-bit Picaxes? It's time to take the high ground!! :)

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The 02M2 is going to be the real challenge but it could be done. Microchip may one day produce suitable silicon. The download interface would almost certainly have to change :)

westaust55

The 02M2 is going to be the real challenge but it could be done. Microchip may one day produce suitable silicon. The download interface would almost certainly have to change :)
IO Options for the 02M2 are:
1. reed switch across the 2 pins and the user uses a magnet
or
2. parasitically powered with programming and slave device control all via the Dallas/Maxim 1-Wire comms scheme :cool:

Last edited:

fritz42_male

IO Options for the 02M2 are:
1. reed switch across the 2 pins and the user uses a magnet
or
2. parasitically powered with programming and slave device control all via the Dallas/Maxim 1-Wire comms scheme :cool:
Ahhhhh binary programming - wave the magnet back and fro to enter the individual bits of each byte of programming!

Reminds me of the good ol' days of bootstrapping a PDP8 by toggling switches one by one!

One of our guys could enter the bootstrap from memory!

MurrayJ

Actually you are all wrong, the next chip will be a 0M2 - wireless programming and wireless input output pins. However attaching it to anything requires a roll of sticky tape, just like my good old 18X boards.

Rickharris

Ahhhhh binary programming - wave the magnet back and fro to enter the individual bits of each byte of programming!

Reminds me of the good ol' days of bootstrapping a PDP8 by toggling switches one by one!

One of our guys could enter the bootstrap from memory!

The ICL system 4 and te later PDP 8's I worked on had manual entry of the initial bootstrap so it could read the disc. Most of the engineers used to do it from memory - On the system 4 with it's 32 bit work it was somewhat like playing the piano. It just got drilled into your muscle memory without the need for concious though.

inglewoodpete

Tush, you had it easy... I remember how I enjoyed fiddling with my Colossus.
Tuck it away and do your homework, Dippy.

Back to dreaming about an 08M2. The self-write flash on the PIC12F1822 (an 8-pin PIC) is a step in the right direction. However, as mentioned previously, the 3.5kB flash is a bit of a limitation. This is no change to the 08M which, I understand, is largely used up already.

Marcwolf

Maybe not a PDP8 but I had to do that on a PDP 11/40 a couple of time to get the papertape working.

So.. its the 22 July and I am keeping my eyes out for the elusive 18M2

Take Care
Dave

John West

I expect the 18M2 will get here when it gets here - if not sooner!

And I live just a few miles from Sparkfun - so I hope they get in a batch right off. I'll park right out front of their office and be the first in line for an 18M2 - almost as if it were a new Windoze release!

fritz42_male

The ICL system 4 and te later PDP 8's I worked on had manual entry of the initial bootstrap so it could read the disc. Most of the engineers used to do it from memory - On the system 4 with it's 32 bit work it was somewhat like playing the piano. It just got drilled into your muscle memory without the need for concious though.
Never touched a System 4 - just a 1903T

On the down side, I had one of the first SInclair ZX80 kits - serial number 000012

Built it, got bored with it after 6 weeks and sold it. Wonder what it would be worth now?

Wrenow

Am I correct in presuming that when the 18M2 becomes available that there will be a relatively immediate announcement posted on the New Product Releases section for a heads' up?

Cheers,

Wreno

MFB

John West, As you live “just a few miles from SparkFun" please could you drop-in and ask why they offer such poor support for the PICAXE, and when do they plan to start providing example code for it like they already do for the Arduino etc?

John West

I can't wait! I can't wait!

I'm desperate for an excuse not to finish work on my 20X2 project.

Being truly lazy is hard work.

John West

I sent an email to www.techsupplies.co.uk last week to ask if there was any more news and the reply was they expect to have them ready by the end of next week :D

Don
I don't ask how they're coming as I don't want them to waste even a moment of their valuable development time on answering questions. I need chips as soon as possible that do most everything as simply as possible in order for me to maintain my mystique as a technical genius in front of my neighbors.

More smoke! More mirrors!

fritz42_male

Dippy
Can't - not enough water around. Winter has been very dry in Perth this year - Perth winters are hell. Cold nights, 19-24c days and clear blue skies. Ahhh why did I ever leave the cold nights, 19-24C, grey sky SUMMERS of Wales!

John West (like Tuna do you?)
Hurry too much and get a connection wrong and you'll get all the smoke you want.

Can't help with the mirrors though. :D

Haku

I hope it arrives soon! I've now got a project I want to do which can only run off 2x rechargable AAA batteries and the low power + multiple IO lines of the 18M2 is ideal.

Last edited:

Dippy

I'm sure the very next microsecond after it is ready that Rev-Ed will announce it.
I'm sure they are as keen as you.
Maybe a cold shower is in order Haku....

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The 20X2, 28X2-3V and 40X2-3V can work down to 1V8, the 08M, 14M, 20M, 28X1 and 40X1 down to 2V2.

When running on low voltages the maximum allowed operating frequency is reduced but all should run okay at their default speeds and often higher.