Programming Editor Wishlist

SAborn

Gee, how long is your titles, as mine shows the path and the title with half the caption space to spare.

westaust55

Well I never knew that !
That's a helpful tool, but to take it one stage further when pressing the "The detailed help and examples" button it's a shame it doesn't take you to the relevant section" in the manual rather than just taking you to the start of the manual.
I foresee that could be problematic with the PICAXE manual 2 pdf.
The PE's quick syntax checker would be limited to links into the version of the manual provided with the PE.
What happens when the manual is updated at a time between PE versions when pages are inserted so a later command in the manual is in effect pushed back a page or two?

The PE, via the Toolbar HELP button, also offers direct access to the PICAXE Manual 2 and other documentation but going to the first page of each document.
Then there is also the online BASIC commands "manual" available from the top of these forum pages at: http://www.picaxe.com/BASIC-Commands/A-Z/

westaust55

Another small issue, when having multiple editor windows open I would like to be able to see the name of the file in the caption of the window.
Actually it is already there but it shows the complete path which is too long to show the name also.
What is your screen resolution?
What level of directories are you working with?

An example and screen capture image may be worthwhile

Hendriks

screendump.JPG
Screen resolution is 1920x1200 but that is not really the point.
With multiple editor windows you don't make the windows wider then necessary. That's when the complete path sometimes doesn't fit in the caption. A small issue, really.

Buzby

I foresee that could be problematic with the PICAXE manual 2 pdf.
The PE's quick syntax checker would be limited to links into the version of the manual provided with the PE.
Hi Westie,

I'm not sure that will be a problem.
I regularly use PDF files which have 'live' index pages and bookmarks.
There must be a way for an external application, such as PE, to open a PDF at a specific indexed page.

The PDF files are my preferred help option, and as this is a PE Editor Wishlist, I wish that PDFs stay as the basis of the help system, and not be replaced by something based on 'Windows Help' etc.

Cheers,

Buzby

julio_gyn

I would prefer to have a CHM, you can have the same pages on a website and compile them to a good help and you can open it using bookmarks inserted before compile time, so, if you add pages you will end up on the same page requested

nick12ab

I'm not sure that will be a problem.
I regularly use PDF files which have 'live' index pages and bookmarks.
There must be a way for an external application, such as PE, to open a PDF at a specific indexed page.
The PICAXE manuals have 'bookmarks' already.

The Adobe Reader command line reference says that automatic jumping to pages or named references so if named references means the same thing as bookmarks then the manuals need no modification for jumping to the correct section of the manual.

Last edited by a moderator:

boriz

Editor wishlist:

Remember the last folder used. (I have to look for my Picaxe folder every time.)

Auto-load last saved program. (Most of the time, a blank document is useless and I load the last saved program then close the blank document behind.)

Auto-save when 'downloading program' to Picaxe. (Simple version control system.)

Option for no splash screen. (Just gets in the way.)

westaust55

The PICAXE manuals have 'bookmarks' already.

The Adobe Reader command line reference says that automatic jumping to pages or named references so if named references means the same thing as bookmarks then the manuals need no modification for jumping to the correct section of the manual.
good find nick12ab.

a web link such as : http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf#page=123
does take one to page 123 in the on-line pdf copy of the manual

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf#zoom=200
opens the document already zoomed to 200%

but using the BASIC command names as per the bookmark text opened the pdf but did not go to the page. For example:
http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf#clearbit
or
http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf#nameddest=clearbit

bfgstew

Maybe not the right thread to post this request, but if you don't ask, you don't get!

Parallel processing, multiple outputs?
I currently have a problem with this, I would like to see the ability to have 1 input and control multiple outputs. At present all I can do is e.g.

High B.7
Pause (VARIABLE TIME)
Low B.7
Pause (VARIABLE TIME)
High B.6
Pause (VARIABLE TIME)
Low B.6
Pause (VARIABLE TIME)
Low B.6
Pause (VARIABLE TIME)
High B.5
Pause (VARIABLE TIME)
Low B.5

Now to get B.5 to run as I want it I have to introduce math into the code but it is really complex due to the variable times for the pauses. So if it can be done so that when called the sequence runs, B.7 does its thing, then B.6 but B.5 has to wait for B.6 to finish before it does its thing, can it be done so B.7 and B.6 run but B.5 runs along side from the sequence start signal, this is because I need B.5 to sometimes be triggering before B.6, so you can see my dilemna? Hope that makes sense?

Stewart

nick12ab

Maybe not the right thread to post this request, but if you don't ask, you don't get!

Parallel processing, multiple outputs?
A new thread would have been better, but why don't you just use parallel processing? Or use the timers.

but using the BASIC command names as per the bookmark text opened the pdf but did not go to the page. For example:
http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf#clearbit
or
http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf#nameddest=clearbit
From here, named destinations are not the same as bookmarks but it will be possible to add named destinations with whatever software Rev-Ed use to create their manuals.

Buzby

Hopefully still not too late !

When the simulator executes an IRIN, it brings up a simulated remote control handset.
This only allows entry of the codes associated with each button.

Could we have a numeric entry box as well, so that the full range of codes can be simulated ?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Hopefully still not too late !
Not too late and all suggestions welcome. Even if things don't happen to make it into the initial release of PE6 they will still be borne in mind and considered for later addition.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Even if things don't happen to make it into the initial release of PE6
I'd say that is close then! I'd like to volunteer as beta/alpha tester.
I wouldn't read too much into a 'throwaway line' that was meant to indicate we're always open to suggestions.

Nor read too much into that! Development of PE6 is continuing.

AndyGadget

Another minor thing which I'd find useful to improve code readability is automatic formatting of pin, variable and constant names to match the case of the name in the 'symbol' statement. (OK, I'm a lazy typist!)

e.g.
symbol HiWaterLevel = b1

then typing
hiwaterlevel = 66
would be auto-corrected to
HiWaterLevel = 66

Buzby

I second that, and as a further idea, if you edit a symbol definition the change is propagated throughout the file.

I would find it very useful for the character count that shows up on the top right to include the position in addition to the line number and number of characters.

(line#,#ofCharacters,Position) instead of the current (line#,#ofCharacters)

Right now a tab counts as a single character so it's hard to tell if your line is going to wrap when printed.

Being able to set the margins for printing (to printer and to pdf) would be helpful as would having the print settings retained from the previous print.

BTW, I'd like to say that the current editor is excellent as it stands. I'm very impressed with is utility.

Jakob2803

It would be nice to be able to zoom the text, especially less than 100%.
How about a function where you could write something in a note and it would give you a +/- button that would collapse a part of the program you are writing, and let the note stay visible, like how there is a list of labels on the right side of the PE window, but inside the text pane. That way you could make a large program easier to overview.
Would be cool to divide the text into two or more collums, and when you scroll it scrolls both the collums?

Last edited:

Dippy

Andy and Buzby, yes a nice idea.
Both suggestions are already used with a few compilers already and , with my fat fingers, I find it very useful.

Buzby

A method of displaying a list of the commands and operations available to the currently active mode.

Maybe looking a bit like the Quick Syntax Checker, but instead of selecting an instruction you select the chip type, which then lists only the instructions for that chip.

jedynakiewicz

Proposed new command: pulse edge detection

I posted in the "Program Editor Software" section before I spotted this thread for the wishlist where it is perhaps better placed. My "wish" is for a command that detects a change in state of a pin rather than simply the present state, high or low.

I suggest a new command; "Edge". This would be similar to INPUT and testing for High or Low, but would detect only a rising pulse edge or a falling pulse edge as required. In other words, only a specific directional change in the state of a pin, not the actual state. It would need qualifiers to detect the rising edge or falling edge; perhaps also a time-out period. Most usefully, it could halt at that program point and wait for the required change of state in the input pin. The value of it would be that once the pin had gone either high or low its state would ignored until the specific change occurred again.

I thought of this possible command when trying to work out how to use the one-second pulse generated by the AXE033 module - I wanted a simple way to count up the pulses and then run a routine. Detection of the rising edge only would achieve this nicely and avoid the need for a program loop that toggles the direction of pulse detection.

An alternative command name could be "Change" with either ChangeHigh or ChangeLow to detect the rising or falling pulse edge.

TAMeyer

Beggining Block Command As The First Instruction: Makes File Unreadable by ProgEditor

Note: This is a reminder request, as the issue is also reported in the thread:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?19981-Possible-errors-in-Programming-Editor&highlight=collapse

-----
Using 5.51

No matter the line#, if “{“ is the first character in the program,the file becomes unreadable by the Program Editor.
Re-opening the file, the ProgEditor will only display the characters in the 1st block, all concatenated. Please see attachments.

>>>The file is recoverable with a standard text editor.

Placing a comment command “'” on the previous line solves the issue, but does nothing for an user's heart condition.

There is not any mention of this command in the manual that I can see.

Technical:
Your answer to “wile” makes sense.
It is the apparent loss of code that is the real issue here.

I looked for an answer to this but used the term “block*”as the search criteria. 500 results were returned.
Only in searching“collapse*” did I find “wile's” note, hence, the bump, perhaps helping someone else.

Thanks,

Terry

Attachments

erco

I'd like to be able address half an input or output port at a time. That is, split outpinsb into 4 upper bits and 4 lower bits, likewise for port C.

Parallax uses INA, INB, INC and IND (and likewise OUTA-OUTD) for pin groups 0-3, 4-7, 8-11, and 12-15.

Specifically, I'm using servopos commands on B.6 and B.7, while I'm varying the binary output to an decoder chip on pins B.0, B.1 and B.2. Can't use outpinsb without messing up servo timing. I did try ANDing the just-prior value of outpinsb with a mask to select only pins 0-2, but that is still too slow. It messes up the pulsouts and causes moderate servo glitching.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I'm using servopos commands on B.6 and B.7, while I'm varying the binary output to an decoder chip on pins B.0, B.1 and B.2. Can't use outpinsb without messing up servo timing
A solution at present might be something like -

Code:
For b0 = 0 To 7
  Gosub SetLsbToB0
Next

SetLsbToB0:
  If bit0 = 1 Then : High B.0 : Else : Low B.0 : End If
  If bit1 = 1 Then : High B.1 : Else : Low B.1 : End If
  If bit2 = 1 Then : High B.2 : Else : Low B.2 : End If
  Return

erco

@hippy: Thank you, that's succinct and very close to what I'm using. Often times you & dippy offer up lesser known pseudo commands for these oddball requests, so I just had to ask!

Peter Graat

I have, I think, found a small glitch. In my program I use capitals for all commands. This makes it much more readable. I recently discovered that I could use the directive #REM but #ENDREM isn't recognized. I had to use #endrem. Is this correct or do I have to use all directives with small characters?

Peter

nick12ab

I have, I think, found a small glitch. In my program I use capitals for all commands. This makes it much more readable. I recently discovered that I could use the directive #REM but #ENDREM isn't recognized. I had to use #endrem. Is this correct or do I have to use all directives with small characters?
It's a glitch with the syntax colour highlighting. All commands after the #endrem will still work correctly and simulation still works.

mrburnette

... would be nice option to have in PE if I could select ALL CAPS for reserved words or all non-caps for reserved words... some consistency. If not set, it just defaults to what is typed into the editor, like now.

macaxepad/serial-connection as VB/applescript/terminal/... accessable open source (?)

trying to connect my picaxe 08m's outputs
to the internet (a php file on my webspace)
i just started working with
visual basic (mac-compatible "real studio"'s demo version ), applescript, curl, terminal, x11 developing scripts
&
would love to have an "code-accessable", "open-source" macaxepad
or
something like "coolterm" that allows to save external text files,
change the timing of the outputs etc.
in order to customise the picaxe chips' serial outputs
according to my needs.

that would be really helpful -
especially for mac-users.

I would like to be able to highlight some part of the code or comments with a special color or format.
It should be something like:
1. select text
2. right click
3. highlight or bold or color change

No need for a full fledged text editor but it should definately make this part stand out of all the rest to give it an extra level of attention.
This would for example help to identify parts which have been modified for testing and need to be fixed in a later stage. Sort of a "remove before flight"-flag. Or it would also be helpful if somebody else than the programmer has to make some modification to the code (change parameters, constants etc) before downloading it.

nick12ab

Sort of a "remove before flight"-flag.
A similar system already exists - clicking in the margin of a line makes a 'breakpoint' (red rectangle) appear in the margin and pressing Ctrl+K makes a 'bookmark' (blue rectangle) appear in the margin. A breakpoint will pause the simulator at that particular line but a bookmark won't. Unfortunately I din't think either are saved so when the file is closed they are lost forever. However you can use the #rem and #endrem directives to comment out sections of code (which makes them green AND ignored by the compiler) and these do get saved.