Programming Editor on Ubuntu/Wine

matherp

Has anyone got the programming editor fully working under Ubuntu (9.1)/Wine(1.2)?

I'm nearly there but just can't make the download work. The editor runs perfectly and sees com1 as a valid serial port (normal 16550A uART) . When I try and download a program or test the serial port the program in the picaxe chip stops operating so the serial port is definitely being accessed but the programming editor then hangs. I've tried setting the serial port to all sorts of speeds in the wine system.reg

Thanks

Peter

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't know if anyone has succeeded or if it is possible. Wine does remarkably well with most programs but those using serial ports often seem to have problems. You could try using a USB serial port which may bypass whatever issues wine is running into.

Alternatively there is AXEpad which should work natively under Ubuntu; does on version 8.04 ( Hardy Heron ) and 9.10 ( Karmic Koala ).

Bobbinz

I had the same problem when trying to program on Ubuntu: AXEpad works very well, and is possible better than Programming Editor itself.

matherp

Thanks for the info

I've installed AxePad and that works fine - now the only thing left is to get my parallel port Velleman oscilloscope working and I'm free of Bill forever:)

Best Regards

Peter

geoff07

The current version of Ubuntu (10.04, not yet tried 10.10) does not work with PE using the current version of Wine (1.3 from the Ubuntu repo). It installs (when a missing dll is provided) but then crashes. I think earlier versions did work so it may have got broken.

PE does run well under Virtualbox 3.2.10 (with Ubuntu hosting XP) as you might expect, including USB, with no apparent additional cpu loading.

For me, AXEpad is very slow and feels like it is running on an emulator - e.g. slow response when scrolling, for example, even on a quad cpu fast AMD box. But it does have a config file and so can be adjusted, which is good.

Last edited: