"PROGRAMMER NOT RESPONDING on COM5" problem

fran1942

Hello, I am getting "Programmer not responding" messages when I try to hook up my PICAXE -08 Proto Board Kit to my HP DV6 laptp.
I am using an ATEN UC-232A USB-SERIAL converter cable attached to the Picaxe board.

My USB-SERIAL converter is being recognised by the computer. Windows beeps when I plug it in, and it is correctly allocating it to a COM port (in this case COM 5).
The problem seems to be connecting to the Picaxe board. I have tried connecting with the Serial PIC programmer and the Picaxe Progrmmming Editor - both give the same result.
The driver I am using for the ATEN UC-232A converter is 3.1.0.0 dated 08/06/2007.
I have checked with a voltmeter that the board is receiving 5V.

Can someone please help, as I am dying to get started with Picaxe programming !!
Maybe I did not put the board together correctly, or there is a problem with the USB SERIAL converter settings/driver ?
I also noticed there is a little light on the USB-SERIAL converter plug that connects to the picaxe serial connector. That light never glows.
I have attached a couple of pics of my setup.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jamster

Many people have had problems with USB to serial conenctors and the fact that the light dosn't come on is a bad sign.

Most find that the best option is to get yourself an AXE027.

Jamster

fran1942

error messages

Hello, thanks for the comments.
The problem turned out to be my bad soldering on two connections..
For the record, I would say that the ATEN UC 232-A would be OK with PICAXE.
However, I still bought an AXE027 to be on the safe side.

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

Great to read that you have solved your problem.

Have a great time experimenting and building projects with PICAXE microcontrollers