Problem : Shell failed

nwl

Hi,
I'm a teacher and have a number of students that have downloaded Mac Axepad and AXE027 USB plug in on their macbook pro. They encounter the following error whenever they attempt to download:

Please send this information to picaxe@rev-ed.co.uk

Within : ExecuteThis(*,MODE_DOWNLOAD,"Compilation")

Problem : Shell failed - bash: /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe14m2: No such file or directory

Application : MacAXEpad
Version : 1.5.1
Platform : Mac OSX 10.12.6

X2 Conversion Wizard Version : 2.0.5 (2011r2)

I have sent this to picaxe but any assistance on fixing the problem would be fantastic.

Thank you

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

"No such file or directory" indicates AXEpad tried to run a compiler to do a compilation to create what would then be downloaded but the operating system could not find that compiler where it was expected to be.

Installing AXEpad should put everything where it is meant to be with the correct permissions to be visible and able to run. It is therefore not clear why that has not happened.

The first step would be to determine if the directory AXEpad expects the compiler to be in does exist and whether the picaxe14m2 compiler executable is within that.

Added: If you have the full error report and/or the information provided through the Help -> Configuration Details menu option that may prove useful in determining where the issue may lie.

Last edited:

nwl

Thanks for your help.
We have tried reinstalling software, this is occurring on a number of the students MacBook machines.
The full error message is below.

Problem : Shell failed - bash: /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe14m2: No such file or directory

Platform : Mac OSX 10.12.6

Build Environment : 2011r2
Build Date : 2014-12-10 15:10:08

Includes CEF Version : 1.6.3
TextStorageType : 1

Current Mode : 14M2
Current Port : 00002014

No user supplied MacTempPath

MacStripped Paths ...

Temporary Path : /private/var/folders/ql/_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/

Raw ( internal ) paths ...

Application Path : 5D14DBF3-DECE-4057-9368-59A5D4792BBB:d:MacAXEpad.app:Contents:MacOS:
Compiler Path : 5D14DBF3-DECE-4057-9368-59A5D4792BBB:d:MacAXEpad.app:Contents:MacOS:compiler_mac:
Documents Path : Macintosh HD:Users:JamesZ: Documents:
Temporary Path : Macintosh HD:private:var:folders:ql:_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:
Settings Path : Macintosh HD:Users:JamesZ: Library:preferences:

MacStripped compilation file details ( example filenames only ) ...

/private/var/folders/ql/_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.bas
/private/var/folders/ql/_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.err
/private/var/folders/ql/_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.asm
/private/var/folders/ql/_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.lst

Compilation file details ( internal - example filenames only ) ...

Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:ql:_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.bas
Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:ql:_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.err
Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:ql:_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.asm
Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:ql:_zbdrgk15j5484f2tz4r8jqc0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.lst

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks; all that seems to be correct and consistent.

So, back to whether the compiler path exists, whether the picaxe14m2 executable exists within it - /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac

nwl

Hi Hippy,
I've checked the compilers and they are all in location Contents-MacOS-Compiler_MAC
Very strange and frustrating as it has occurred on a number of student machines.
Any ideas?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If the compilers are in the directory they are expected to be then bash should be able to find them and execute them.

It may be that there is some other reason that 'bash' reports "No such file or directory" other than the file or directory not being there. It would be worth checking the file permissions for the the compilers. These need to have the 'executable' / 'run as program' permission set.

It will be worth seeing if you can run the compilers manually from the bash command line.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I've checked the compilers and they are all in location Contents-MacOS-Compiler_MAC
A thought; is that where the compilers actually are or is that just your ( or you Mac's ) representation of where they are ?

The underlying operating system is extremely picky about naming, directory separators, and case of names. If things are not exactly how they should be then the operating system will not find items; though a name may be similar, it isn't an exact match. For example "Compiler_MAC" is not the same as "compiler_mac".

On a Mac things can become complicated and confusing because there can be differences in the way things are represented. The operating system sees them one way but some system and user programs may show them some other way.

Samuelsoul

Dear nwl... have you succeeded in solving the problem? if so, how?

I'm an enthusiastic newbie who is completely stuck after putting everything together! I've downloaded and run the software but I get EXACTLY the same error (see below)! The application (within which the picaxe28x1 is located) is in the folder "download" but the path in the error report says /d/... I guess this is a relative link to a file "within the same folder" as the MacAXEpad, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I have found the folder, and the file. It is indeed the right link (except from /d/ part).

Anyone any idea how I should tackle this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Sam

------------

An unexpected internal problem within MacAXEpad was encountered.

Within : CheckFirmware("28X1 / 40X1","0000101D")

Problem : Shell Failed
bash: /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1: No such file or directory

Platform : Mac OSX 10.13.6

Build Environment : 2011r2
Build Date : 2014-12-10 15:10:08

Includes CEF Version : 1.6.3
TextStorageType : 1

Current Mode : 28X1 / 40X1
Current Port : 0000101D

No user supplied MacTempPath

MacStripped Paths ...

Temporary Path : /private/var/folders/t4/yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/

Raw ( internal ) paths ...

Application Path : 18254EF0-842C-47E5-91D6-FC3EA1D133F2:d:MacAXEpad.app:Contents:MacOS:
Compiler Path : 18254EF0-842C-47E5-91D6-FC3EA1D133F2:d:MacAXEpad.app:Contents:MacOS:compiler_mac:
Documents Path : Macintosh HD:Users:samsol: Documents:
Temporary Path : Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:t4:yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:
Settings Path : Macintosh HD:Users:samsol:Library: Preferences:

MacStripped compilation file details ( example filenames only ) ...

/private/var/folders/t4/yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.bas
/private/var/folders/t4/yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.err
/private/var/folders/t4/yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.asm
/private/var/folders/t4/yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/Temp16807.lst

Compilation file details ( internal - example filenames only ) ...

Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:t4:yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.bas
Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:t4:yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.err
Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:t4:yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.asm
Macintosh HD: private:var:folders:t4:yfxlg10n21dc0grm0_zqdvqm0000gn:T:TemporaryItems:Temp16807.lst

tmfkam

My only suggestion would be to try moving the MacAxePad application into your Applications folder. I do use MacAxePad on my iMac and have no problems with it.. I don't use it for the 20X1 though, so perhaps try some simple program for another processor?

If all that fails, try the Windows version (V4) in a WINE environment?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Anyone any idea how I should tackle this issue?
Only to reiterate the earlier advice -

Checking the file permissions for the the compilers. These need to have the 'executable' / 'run as program' permission set.

Seeing if you can run the compilers manually from the bash command line.

We are not sure what the exact issue is but a number of people have reported similar. Unfortunately none have reported back on our suggestions for resolving the issue.

MacAXEpad is the same as it ever was and that was working perfectly. In fact it still all seems to be working apart from the bash error when it comes to invoking the compilers.

AXEpad checks for the presence of the compiler in the directory it expects it to be in before trying to invoke it so there is no obvious reason why it doesn't execute when invoked. The most likely possibility is the compiler is there but is not executable with bash reporting a somewhat misleading "No such file or directory" rather than "file not executable".

We don't know why this is the case but presume Apple have changed something, or there is a settings which some people have set, meaning the files are not installed with the executable permissions they should have.

If that is the case then manually setting the executable permission should resolve the problem.

Samuelsoul

thanks tmfkam and hippy

i have tried some of your suggestions:
1. selecting other types of picaxe compilers (instead of 28x1/40x1) didn't change anything: same error but at the end of the bash file path you see the selected compiler
2. moving the picaxe app to application folder yielded the same results (so no results :))
3. I have extended the permissions: the app and its content have read/write permission for me, admin and everyone else: no changes

A) would AXEpad.ini and some adjustments there be of any help here?

B) @hippy: "Seeing if you can run the compilers manually from the bash command line." how to do this?

C) Can I try other stuff before getting fuddled in WINE?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
1. selecting other types of picaxe compilers (instead of 28x1/40x1) didn't change anything: same error but at the end of the bash file path you see the selected compiler
That at least proves everything is consistent, an error with one should also be an error with the others, as it is.

2. moving the picaxe app to application folder yielded the same results (so no results :))
That would be expected. The problem is most likely not that bash cannot find the compilers as it reports, but simply cannot execute them.

3. I have extended the permissions: the app and its content have read/write permission for me, admin and everyone else: no changes
But did you add executable permissions ?

A) would AXEpad.ini and some adjustments there be of any help here?
No.

B) @hippy: "Seeing if you can run the compilers manually from the bash command line." how to do this?
Unfortunately I have no Mac experience so cannot say how to do that. There should be some command line application or command line terminal as there is for most Linux-based systems.

C) Can I try other stuff before getting fuddled in WINE?
There's not really a lot else to try. I would say exhaust efforts in getting MacAXEpad to run before moving on to try something else.

Samuelsoul

But did you add executable permissions ?
Through terminal I found that the compiler file has rwxrwxrwx permission which means read/write/execute for owner/admin/other!

Unfortunately I have no Mac experience so cannot say how to do that. There should be some command line application or command line terminal as there is for most Linux-based systems.
On MAC I have a unix based terminal which appears to be 99/9% the same as linux. what script should I run?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Ok, through that terminal, navigate to the directory which contains the compilers; issuing "ls -l" ( ell ess space minus ell, don't include the quotes ) should show the compilers and those "rwxrwxrwx" permissions.

Then try "./picaxe28x1 -h" (without the quotes), and report back.

Hopefully that should run the compiler, show some copyright and other info.

Many thanks for your help in trying to get this resolved.

Samuelsoul

Ok, through that terminal, navigate to the directory which contains the compilers; issuing "ls -l" ( ell ess space minus ell, don't include the quotes ) should show the compilers and those "rwxrwxrwx" permissions.

Then try "./picaxe28x1 -h" (without the quotes), and report back.

Hopefully that should run the compiler, show some copyright and other info.

Many thanks for your help in trying to get this resolved.
this is the output:

PICAXE-28X1 (40X1) Compiler
Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Usage:
./picaxeXXX filename.bas

Optional switches:
-s Syntax check only (no download)
-f Firmware check only (no download)
-cPortName Assign USB port device (default /dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D)
(alternately use #com directive within program)
-d Leave port open for debug display (b0-13)
-dh Leave port open for debug display (hex mode)
-e Leave port open for debug display (b14-b27)
-eh Leave port open for debug display (hex mode)
-t Leave port open for sertxd display
-th Leave port open for sertxd display (hex mode)
-ti Leave port open for sertxd display (int mode)
-p Add pass message to error report file
-h Display this help

Examples:
20X2 chip on USB with AXE027 USB cable
./picaxe20x2 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D test.bas
28X1 chip syntax check without download
./picaxe28x1 -s test.bas

what can we do now?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That seems to prove the compiler is installed, is executable, and does indeed run. Which leaves the question as why bash can't seem to find the directory, file or execute it.

Issuing a "pwd" and letting us know what directory path that shows might help clarify things.

If you want to amuse yourself, check the compiler further, you can create a "test.bas" file in the same directory as the compilers containing one line, adding a return or two at the end -

Do : SerTxd( #w0, $20 ) : Pause 1000 : w0 = w0+1 : Loop

You might be able to do that with just the following command -

echo -e "Do:SerTxd(#w0,$20):pause 1000:w0=w0+1:Loop\n\n" > test.bas

You should then be able to compile that and get no errors with -

./picaxe28x1 -s test.bas

And you might even be able to download that program to your PICAXE with -

./picaxe28x1 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D test.bas

That might depend on whether you have access to whichever group the serial cable belongs to.

If it works you should be able to download it and watch its output with -

./picaxe28x1 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D -t test.bas

Not exactly sure how one ends that once running on a Mac; Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z ? Might be worth checking that via Google, make sure you've got everything saved in case it requires a re-boot to make it end.

Added: It would be worth trying to see if you can create the test.bas and compile that, even download it, because that might help with the next set of tests I am thinking about.

Last edited:

Samuelsoul

//pwd gives:
/Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac

//as proposed: test.bas was created:
Sams-MacBook-Air:compiler_mac samsol$ echo -e "Do:SerTxd(#w0,$20):pause 1000:w0=w0+1:Loop\n\n" > test.bas

//and successfully compiled:
Sams-MacBook-Air:compiler_mac samsol$ ./picaxe28x1 -s test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.
Memory used = 15 out of 4096 bytes.

//but not too successful in downloading it:
Sams-MacBook-Air:compiler_mac samsol$ ./picaxe28x1 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

line# 0, col# 0

Error: Can't open port /dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D.
(err=2: No such file or directory)

Sams-MacBook-Air:compiler_mac samsol$ ./picaxe28x1 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D -t test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

line# 0, col# 0

Error: Can't open port /dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D.

//in the folder /compiler_mac there are two additional files (as expected): a test.bat and test.err with foregoing comment and error msg respectively.

what next?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It's all looking good so far. I would suggest seeing if you can also compile outside the directory the compiler is in ...

Code:
cd /Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS
./compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./compiler_mac/test.bas
Code:
cd /Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents
./MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas
Code:
cd /Applications/MacAXEpad.app
./Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas
Code:
cd /Applications
./MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas
Code:
cd /
./Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas
And finally, using what MacAXEpad thinks it's looking at ...

Code:
cd /
/d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas

Samuelsoul

//it solidly compiles the file, except when we mimic the reality of MacAXEpad :(

Sams-MacBook-Air:compiler_mac samsol cd /Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS
Sams-MacBook-Air:MacOS samsol$ ./compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./compiler_mac/test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

Sams-MacBook-Air:MacOS samsol$ cd /Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents
Sams-MacBook-Air:Contents samsol$ ./MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

Sams-MacBook-Air:Contents samsol$ cd /Applications/MacAXEpad.app
Sams-MacBook-Air:MacAXEpad.app samsol$ ./Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

Sams-MacBook-Air:MacAXEpad.app samsol$ cd /Applications
Sams-MacBook-Air:Applications samsol$ ./MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

Sams-MacBook-Air:Applications samsol$ cd /
Sams-MacBook-Air:/ samsol$ ./Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s ./Applications/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

Sams-MacBook-Air:/ samsol$ cd /
Sams-MacBook-Air:/ samsol$ /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas
-bash: /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1: No such file or directory

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
//it solidly compiles the file, except when we mimic the reality of MacAXEpad :(
That's actually excellent news. Seems we may have identified what the problem is if not the exact cause yet.

It seems that MacAXEpad is using and expecting a "/d" directory when everything is under "/Applications". Not sure why but that gives us something to go on.

It also gives us a potentially easy fix. Linux has the ability to give a directory multiple names by use of symlinks. So if you have an existing directory called "/Cat" you can create a directory called "/Dog" which points to "/Cat". Then, whenever you access either "/Cat" or "/Dog", you will see the files which are actually under "/Cat".

So the easy fix would seem to be to create a "/d" directory, which (probably) doesn't exist, which points to "/Applications". Once that's done MacAXEpad should see everything in "/Applications" under "/d", even if that's not where things are.

First step is to do ...

Code:
cd /
ls -l d
If that does not show "No such file or directory"; stop, don't go any further. A "/d" directory or file already exists and this trick won't work. We'll need something else.

If it does say "No such file or directory" then "/d" doesn't exist so we can go ahead and create it. This might fail, but start with ...

Code:
cd /
ln -s /Applications /d
If you get a "Permission denied" you need super-user privileges so try -

Code:
cd /
sudo ln -s /Applications /d
That might ask for a password. If so I'm not sure what it would be but I would try your usual or administrator password.

Added: You might have make sure you logged into your Mac as an administrator before being able to use sudo in a terminal - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202035

If it completes without error, probably without any message, you can re-issue an "ls /d" command and you should now see the same files as you see with "ls /Applications".

And if so; MacAXEpad may now, with a bit of luck, start working without error.

Samuelsoul

//Following your procedure the /d is created and it indeed shows the exact same content as Applications, and as expected:

Sams-MacBook-Air:/ samsol$ /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -s /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

//At this point I went back to MaxAXEpad to execute "servo 0, 150 wait 3" commend but I get

"Download for PICAXE-28X1 / 40X1 on 0000101D Failed
Error: Can't open port/dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D.
(err=2: No such file or directory)"

//when using Options --> Firmware, I get:

Firmware check error
Can't open port/dev/tty.usbserial-0000101D.

are we one step closer?

Samuelsoul

//In case you would be interested in the content of /dev:

Sams-MacBook-Air:/ samsol$ cd /dev
Sams-MacBook-Air:dev samsol$ ls -l
total 0
crw------- 1 root wheel 18, 1 Aug 24 09:44 afsc_type5
crw------- 1 root wheel 10, 0 Aug 24 09:44 auditpipe
crw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 9, 3 Aug 24 09:44 auditsessions
crw------- 1 root wheel 22, 0 Aug 24 09:44 autofs
crw------- 1 root wheel 34, 0 Aug 24 09:44 autofs_control
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 33, 1 Aug 24 09:44 autofs_homedirmounter
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 32, 1 Aug 24 09:44 autofs_notrigger
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 0x000001b1 Aug 24 09:44 autofs_nowait
crw------- 1 root wheel 23, 0 Aug 24 09:44 bpf0
crw------- 1 root wheel 23, 1 Aug 24 09:44 bpf1
crw------- 1 root wheel 23, 2 Aug 24 10:54 bpf2
crw------- 1 root wheel 23, 3 Aug 24 09:53 bpf3
crw------- 1 root wheel 23, 4 Aug 24 09:53 bpf4
crw------- 1 samsol staff 0, 0 Aug 24 09:54 console
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 1 Aug 24 09:44 cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 3 Aug 24 09:44 cu.SamSolsiPhone-Wir
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 0 Aug 24 09:44 disk0
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 1 Aug 24 09:44 disk0s1
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 2 Aug 24 09:44 disk0s2
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 3 Aug 24 09:44 disk1
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 4 Aug 24 09:44 disk1s1
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 6 Aug 24 09:44 disk1s2
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 5 Aug 24 09:44 disk1s3
brw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 7 Aug 24 09:44 disk1s4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 24, 7 Aug 24 09:44 dtrace
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 25, 0 Aug 24 09:44 dtracehelper
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 0 Aug 24 09:44 fbt
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 Aug 24 09:44 fd
crw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 13, 0 Aug 24 09:44 fsevents
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 19, 17 Aug 24 10:54 io8log
cr--r--r-- 1 root wheel 19, 15 Aug 24 09:44 io8logmt
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 19, 16 Aug 24 11:03 io8logtemp
crw------- 1 root wheel 6, 0 Aug 24 09:44 klog
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 0 Aug 24 09:44 lockstat
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 0 Aug 24 09:44 machtrace
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 3, 2 Aug 24 11:03 null
crw------- 1 root wheel 7, 0 Aug 24 09:44 oslog
crw------- 1 root wheel 8, 0 Aug 24 09:44 oslog_stream
crw------- 1 root wheel 11, 0 Aug 24 09:44 pf
crw------- 1 root wheel 11, 1 Aug 24 09:44 pfm
crw------- 1 root operator 20, 0 Aug 24 09:44 pmCPU
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 0 Aug 24 09:44 profile
crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 15, 1 Aug 24 11:04 ptmx
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 0 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 1 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 2 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 3 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 4 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 5 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 6 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 7 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 8 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 9 Aug 24 09:44 ptyp9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 10 Aug 24 09:44 ptypa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 11 Aug 24 09:44 ptypb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 12 Aug 24 09:44 ptypc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 13 Aug 24 09:44 ptypd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 14 Aug 24 09:44 ptype
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 15 Aug 24 09:44 ptypf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 16 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 17 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 18 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 19 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 20 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 21 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 22 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 23 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 24 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 25 Aug 24 09:44 ptyq9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 26 Aug 24 09:44 ptyqa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 27 Aug 24 09:44 ptyqb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 28 Aug 24 09:44 ptyqc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 29 Aug 24 09:44 ptyqd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 30 Aug 24 09:44 ptyqe
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 31 Aug 24 09:44 ptyqf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 32 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 33 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 34 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 35 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 36 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 37 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 38 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 39 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 40 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 41 Aug 24 09:44 ptyr9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 42 Aug 24 09:44 ptyra
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 43 Aug 24 09:44 ptyrb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 44 Aug 24 09:44 ptyrc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 45 Aug 24 09:44 ptyrd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 46 Aug 24 09:44 ptyre
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 47 Aug 24 09:44 ptyrf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 48 Aug 24 09:44 ptys0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 49 Aug 24 09:44 ptys1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 50 Aug 24 09:44 ptys2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 51 Aug 24 09:44 ptys3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 52 Aug 24 09:44 ptys4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 53 Aug 24 09:44 ptys5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 54 Aug 24 09:44 ptys6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 55 Aug 24 09:44 ptys7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 56 Aug 24 09:44 ptys8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 57 Aug 24 09:44 ptys9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 58 Aug 24 09:44 ptysa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 59 Aug 24 09:44 ptysb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 60 Aug 24 09:44 ptysc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 61 Aug 24 09:44 ptysd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 62 Aug 24 09:44 ptyse
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 63 Aug 24 09:44 ptysf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 64 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 65 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 66 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 67 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 68 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 69 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 70 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 71 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 72 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 73 Aug 24 09:44 ptyt9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 74 Aug 24 09:44 ptyta
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 75 Aug 24 09:44 ptytb

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
are we one step closer?
If Syntax Check works as expected from within MacAXEpad I believe we are. It would seems to now be a case of having to gain access to the serial port, or it might just be the default serial port name isn't what your AXE027 has.

With the AXE027 cable plugged in, from terminal "ls /dev/tty.usb*" should indicate what it's name is, and you should see the same using the Options -> Ports -> List Serial Ports ( or similarly named ) menu option.

I will have to read the provided AXEpad documentation to see what the procedure is for setting the serial port, what the commands are for adding the user to the dialout group. If you find that before me just go ahead and try it.

Samuelsoul

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 76 Aug 24 09:44 ptytc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 77 Aug 24 09:44 ptytd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 78 Aug 24 09:44 ptyte
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 79 Aug 24 09:44 ptytf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 80 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 81 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 82 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 83 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 84 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 85 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 86 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 87 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 88 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 89 Aug 24 09:44 ptyu9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 90 Aug 24 09:44 ptyua
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 91 Aug 24 09:44 ptyub
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 92 Aug 24 09:44 ptyuc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 93 Aug 24 09:44 ptyud
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 94 Aug 24 09:44 ptyue
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 95 Aug 24 09:44 ptyuf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 96 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 97 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 98 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 99 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 100 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 101 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 102 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 103 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 104 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 105 Aug 24 09:44 ptyv9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 106 Aug 24 09:44 ptyva
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 107 Aug 24 09:44 ptyvb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 108 Aug 24 09:44 ptyvc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 109 Aug 24 09:44 ptyvd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 110 Aug 24 09:44 ptyve
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 111 Aug 24 09:44 ptyvf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 112 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 113 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 114 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 115 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 116 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 117 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 118 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 119 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 120 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 121 Aug 24 09:44 ptyw9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 122 Aug 24 09:44 ptywa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 123 Aug 24 09:44 ptywb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 124 Aug 24 09:44 ptywc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 125 Aug 24 09:44 ptywd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 126 Aug 24 09:44 ptywe
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 5, 127 Aug 24 09:44 ptywf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 14, 0 Aug 24 09:44 random
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 0 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk0
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 1 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk0s1
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 2 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk0s2
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 3 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk1
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 4 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk1s1
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 6 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk1s2
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 5 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk1s3
crw-r----- 1 root operator 1, 7 Aug 24 09:44 rdisk1s4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 0 Aug 24 09:44 sdt
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 Aug 24 09:44 stderr -> fd/2
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 Aug 24 09:44 stdin -> fd/0
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 Aug 24 09:44 stdout -> fd/1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 0 Aug 24 09:44 systrace
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 2, 0 Aug 24 09:44 tty
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 0 Aug 24 09:44 tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 2 Aug 24 09:44 tty.SamSolsiPhone-Wir
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 0 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 1 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 2 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 3 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 4 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 5 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 6 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 7 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 8 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 9 Aug 24 09:44 ttyp9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 10 Aug 24 09:44 ttypa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 11 Aug 24 09:44 ttypb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 12 Aug 24 09:44 ttypc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 13 Aug 24 09:44 ttypd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 14 Aug 24 09:44 ttype
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 15 Aug 24 09:44 ttypf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 16 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 17 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 18 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 19 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 20 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 21 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 22 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 23 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 24 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 25 Aug 24 09:44 ttyq9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 26 Aug 24 09:44 ttyqa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 27 Aug 24 09:44 ttyqb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 28 Aug 24 09:44 ttyqc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 29 Aug 24 09:44 ttyqd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 30 Aug 24 09:44 ttyqe
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 31 Aug 24 09:44 ttyqf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 32 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 33 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 34 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 35 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 36 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 37 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 38 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 39 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 40 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 41 Aug 24 09:44 ttyr9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 42 Aug 24 09:44 ttyra
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 43 Aug 24 09:44 ttyrb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 44 Aug 24 09:44 ttyrc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 45 Aug 24 09:44 ttyrd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 46 Aug 24 09:44 ttyre
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 47 Aug 24 09:44 ttyrf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 48 Aug 24 09:44 ttys0

Samuelsoul

crw--w---- 1 samsol tty 16, 0 Aug 24 11:04 ttys000
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 49 Aug 24 09:44 ttys1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 50 Aug 24 09:44 ttys2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 51 Aug 24 09:44 ttys3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 52 Aug 24 09:44 ttys4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 53 Aug 24 09:44 ttys5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 54 Aug 24 09:44 ttys6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 55 Aug 24 09:44 ttys7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 56 Aug 24 09:44 ttys8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 57 Aug 24 09:44 ttys9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 58 Aug 24 09:44 ttysa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 59 Aug 24 09:44 ttysb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 60 Aug 24 09:44 ttysc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 61 Aug 24 09:44 ttysd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 62 Aug 24 09:44 ttyse
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 63 Aug 24 09:44 ttysf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 64 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 65 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 66 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 67 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 68 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 69 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 70 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 71 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 72 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 73 Aug 24 09:44 ttyt9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 74 Aug 24 09:44 ttyta
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 75 Aug 24 09:44 ttytb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 76 Aug 24 09:44 ttytc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 77 Aug 24 09:44 ttytd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 78 Aug 24 09:44 ttyte
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 79 Aug 24 09:44 ttytf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 80 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 81 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 82 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 83 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 84 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 85 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 86 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 87 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 88 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 89 Aug 24 09:44 ttyu9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 90 Aug 24 09:44 ttyua
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 91 Aug 24 09:44 ttyub
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 92 Aug 24 09:44 ttyuc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 93 Aug 24 09:44 ttyud
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 94 Aug 24 09:44 ttyue
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 95 Aug 24 09:44 ttyuf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 96 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 97 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 98 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 99 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 100 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 101 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 102 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 103 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 104 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 105 Aug 24 09:44 ttyv9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 106 Aug 24 09:44 ttyva
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 107 Aug 24 09:44 ttyvb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 108 Aug 24 09:44 ttyvc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 109 Aug 24 09:44 ttyvd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 110 Aug 24 09:44 ttyve
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 111 Aug 24 09:44 ttyvf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 112 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 113 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 114 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 115 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 116 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 117 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 118 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 119 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 120 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 121 Aug 24 09:44 ttyw9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 122 Aug 24 09:44 ttywa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 123 Aug 24 09:44 ttywb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 124 Aug 24 09:44 ttywc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 125 Aug 24 09:44 ttywd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 126 Aug 24 09:44 ttywe
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 127 Aug 24 09:44 ttywf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 14, 1 Aug 24 09:44 urandom
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 3, 3 Aug 24 09:44 zero

//very very sorry about the endless posts - feel free to delete if not needed!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Don't worry about the cross-posts; it happens. The data is useful.

The cable should be appearing as "/dev/tty.usb*" but nothing of that name seems to be there. Not finding it seems to be the correct error message.

So it now becomes a mystery as to why the cable isn't recognised.

Samuelsoul

//the first one didnt work, 2nd one did:

Sams-MacBook-Air:dev samsol$ ls -l /dev/tty.usb*
ls: /dev/tty.usb*: No such file or directory
Sams-MacBook-Air:dev samsol$ ls -l /dev/tty*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 2, 0 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/tty
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 0 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 21, 2 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/tty.SamSolsiPhone-Wir
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 0 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 1 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 2 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 3 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 4 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 5 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 6 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 7 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 8 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 9 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyp9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 10 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttypa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 11 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttypb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 12 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttypc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 13 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttypd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 14 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttype
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 15 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttypf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 16 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 17 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 18 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 19 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 20 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 21 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 22 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 23 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 24 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 25 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyq9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 26 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyqa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 27 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyqb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 28 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyqc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 29 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyqd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 30 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyqe
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 31 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyqf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 32 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 33 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 34 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 35 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 36 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 37 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 38 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 39 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 40 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 41 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyr9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 42 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyra
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 43 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyrb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 44 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyrc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 45 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyrd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 46 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyre
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 47 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyrf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 48 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys0
crw--w---- 1 samsol tty 16, 0 Aug 24 11:23 /dev/ttys000
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 49 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 50 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 51 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 52 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 53 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 54 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 55 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 56 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 57 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttys9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 58 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttysa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 59 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttysb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 60 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttysc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 61 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttysd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 62 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyse
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 63 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttysf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 64 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 65 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 66 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 67 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 68 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 69 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 70 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 71 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 72 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 73 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyt9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 74 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyta
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 75 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttytb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 76 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttytc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 77 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttytd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 78 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyte
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 79 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttytf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 80 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 81 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 82 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 83 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 84 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 85 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 86 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 87 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 88 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 89 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyu9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 90 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyua
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 91 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyub
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 92 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyuc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 93 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyud
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 94 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyue
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 95 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyuf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 96 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 97 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 98 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 99 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 100 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 101 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 102 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 103 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 104 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 105 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyv9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 106 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyva
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 107 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyvb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 108 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyvc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 109 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyvd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 110 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyve
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 111 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyvf
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 112 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 113 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 114 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw2
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 115 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw3
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 116 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw4
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 117 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw5
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 118 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw6
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 119 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw7
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 120 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw8
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 121 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttyw9
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 122 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttywa
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 123 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttywb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 124 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttywc
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 125 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttywd
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 126 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttywe
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 4, 127 Aug 24 09:44 /dev/ttywf

//btw Options -> Port -> shows (greyed-out) /dev/tty.usbserial- (editable) 0000101D

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Looking through the list, everything is owned by "root" except -

crw--w---- 1 samsol tty 16, 0 Aug 24 11:04 ttys000

So that might be your serial port. From the terminal I would try -

Code:
/d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe28x1 -c/dev/ttys000 /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/test.bas

Samuelsoul

Version 3.1
Copyright (c) 1996-2014
Revolution Education Ltd

Compiled successfully.

Connect power now!
Searching for hardware on /dev/ttys000.

line# 0, col# 0

Error: Hardware not found on /dev/ttys000!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That's looking good. "Hardware not found" means it found something which it can use but the PICAXE is not responding to the download initiation. Try turning the PICAXE power off and only turning it on when it shows "Connect power now".

I'll look at what needs to be altered in the axepad.ini file to allow it to use /dev/ttys000.

Please could you explicitly confirm that you can now do a Syntax Check within MacAXEpad and that works as expected.

Samuelsoul

To poweroff I take out one battery, and put it back when it says "connect power now" but no effect! also unplugging the cable out of laptop/board doesnt change anything! btw the comment connect power now! comes together with Searching for hardware on /dev/ttys000. then it thinks a bit before giving the error.

syntax check seems to work on the servo 0, 150 wait 2 --> "Syntax Check for PICAXE-28X1 / 40X1 Successful -- Memory used = 10 out of 4096 bytes."

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
To poweroff I take out one battery, and put it back when it says "connect power now" but no effect! also unplugging the cable out of laptop/board doesnt change anything! btw
It depends what is being unplugged. Unplugging the jack plug won't change anything, neither will unplugging the USB end of the cable and reconnecting it. But if the USB end of the cable is not connected when the download is performed that should revert to "Can't open port ... No such file or directory".

It may be worth trying an "ls -l /dev/tty*" both with and without the cable plugged into the USB port. If the results are the same it likely means the cable is not being recognised. If something appears which isn't present when not plugged in; that probably will be the AXE027.

the comment connect power now! comes together with Searching for hardware on /dev/ttys000. then it thinks a bit before giving the error.
Yes, that's correct. It's allowing time for the PICAXE to be powered up and to respond before reporting it can cannot find any PICAXE hardware.

syntax check seems to work on the servo 0, 150 wait 2 --> "Syntax Check for PICAXE-28X1 / 40X1 Successful -- Memory used = 10 out of 4096 bytes."
Is that syntax check successful using MacAXEpad ?

Apologies if this all sounds pedantic but we are trying to keep an exact track on what does and doesn't work. We don't want to presume something is working when it isn't, as that will just take us down dead ends which may be what has happened in the past. Looking back at past discussions it seems we may have been led into believing things were other than they actually were. That meant avenues which could have been pursued weren't.

So far progress appears to be -

Code:
Progress                   Command Line   MacAXEpad

Compilers execute       :  Yes            ?
Redirection of /d works :  Yes            ?
Syntax check works      :  Yes            ?
AXE027 detected         :  Not sure       Not sure
Download works          :  Not yet        No
Having it confirmed Syntax Check works within MacAXEpad means all those "?" can become "Yes" and we have probably solved the compiler related issues and can concentrate on download cable and PICAXE hardware issues.

Once we have command line downloading working we can move on to making that work with MacAXEpad which should mostly be an axepad.ini change. Once that's done, you will have something usable as it should have been from the start and used to be, and we can look at why the /d issue is arising and what we can do about that.

Once again, many thanks for your assistance, help and perseverance.

Samuelsoul

It may be worth trying an "ls -l /dev/tty*" both with and without the cable plugged into the USB port. If the results are the same it likely means the cable is not being recognised.
result is exactly the same! with a cable plugged in the laptop, without that, with cable plugged in but battery out and with battery in; all the same.

Is that syntax check successful using MacAXEpad ?
yes in MAcAXEpad using F4

we have probably solved the compiler related issues and can concentrate on download cable and PICAXE hardware issues.
Im all ears (eyes in this case) :p

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
result is exactly the same! with a cable plugged in the laptop, without that
That's not such good news. It sounds like the AXE027 is not being recognised, not being detected by your Mac.

If you have any other laptops or PC's, Mac, Windows or Linux, can borrow one or use a friend's, it would be worth trying it on those to see if it is detected there.

And if you have any other AXE027 it's worth trying those, borrowing someone else's.

yes in MAcAXEpad using F4
Many thanks for that. Seems we are now at ...

Rich (BB code):
Progress                   Command Line   MacAXEpad

Compilers execute       :  Yes            Yes
Redirection of /d works :  Yes            Yes
Syntax check works      :  Yes            Yes
AXE027 detected         :  No             No
Download works          :  Not yet        No
Going further will rely upon getting an AXE027 detected.

Last edited:

eDev

Hi, Hippy!

While I have a similar problem, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the AXE027 cable as I can start AXEPAD in my MAC PowerBook and use the terminal to verify that correct I/O is occurring with a PICAXE 08M2. Therefore the AXE027 drivers are making correctly.

My take on this issue is that it seems that instead of a relative path you folks are using a hared coded absolute path in the form of "/d/MacAXEpad.app..." Would it be possible to remove the leading "/d/" and change this simply to "MacAXEpad.app..." (or perhaps "./MacAXEpad.app" (Heck, try both - they're cheap!)) thus making it location independent (i.e. PWD)?

I don't know about earlier Mac's but there is no /d/ directory on my system (OSX 10.14.0).

BTW: Inspection of the MacAXEpad.app shows all the expected paths and files...

TYPICAL ERROR:
Problem : Shell failed - bash: /d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/picaxe08m2: No such file or directory

FYI:
Platform : Mac OSX 10.14.0

Also, if you can make this change I'd be glad to beta test it for you kind folks! ;-)

Thanks for your time and efforts,

Dan

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
My take on this issue is that it seems that instead of a relative path you folks are using a hared coded absolute path in the form of "/d/MacAXEpad.app..."
No; we definitely don't use hard-coded paths. I checked the code which chooses and executes the compiler and it's effectively -
Code:
fExe = GetCompilerPathAndFilename(sPicaxeType)
if fExe = Nothing
  Error("Not found")
  Return
if Not FileExists(fExe)
  Error("Does not exist")
  Return
sCommand = ToText(fExe) + " " + ToText(fBas)
Shell(sCommand)
So we are basically finding where the compiler is and then double checking that it was found and is actually there, before forming a text command which can be passed to the shell to be executed.

If we had not correctly found the compiler then we would be seeing an error given before the shell is invoked. We don't get that which indicates we got finding the compiler correct.

Given it is okay there, but not when it gets passed to the shell suggests that the FileExists() function isn't working correctly, the ToText() conversion is not quite right, or something is happening when the command is passed to the shell.

But that all used to work - and nothing has changed with that code - so it appears something has changed with the Mac OS which is giving us a different outcome.

Added :If we look at what nwl posted in Post #3 above, Samuelsoul in Post #8, and what others have reported -
Code:
Application Path : 5D14DBF3-DECE-4057-9368-59A5D4792BBB:d:MacAXEpad.app:Contents:MacOS:
Compiler Path : 5D14DBF3-DECE-4057-9368-59A5D4792BBB:d:MacAXEpad.app:Contents:MacOS:compiler_mac:
That is the raw path information Mac OS is providing to MacAXEpad. The ":d:" is clearly there, which is where the Mac OS is telling us where MacAXEpad and the compilers are. Once the disk identifier is stripped off and ":" are converted to "/" as the shell requires we get -
Code:
/d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/
/d/MacAXEpad.app/Contents/MacOS/compiler_mac/
Which is what we are using. So "/d" may not exist but Mac OS is telling us that is where MacAXEpad and the compilers are. And our FileExists() gets told the file is there when using the raw Mac OS provided information.

Would it be possible to remove the leading "/d/" and change this simply to "MacAXEpad.app..." (or perhaps "./MacAXEpad.app" (Heck, try both - they're cheap!)) thus making it location independent (i.e. PWD)?
There might be some kludge we could use but "./" is unlikely to work as there is no guarantee that when we invoke the shell we are at the top of the MacAXEpad.app directory tree, and it is almost certain we are not.

That's why we do use absolute rather than relative paths so it should not matter where we are when we invoke the compiler.

Using absolute paths is the correct way of doing things. The problem appears to be that the absolute path is not correct once the the shell gets it. And we are not sure why or what the correct fix would be.

Last edited: