Polulu micro drive comunication

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please make your posts in the active forum - this thread has now been moved there.

You can just connect the pololu serial pin directly to any PICAXE output pin (and link both 0V rails) and then use the 'serout' command at baud rate 2400.

I'm a big fan of Pololu's Dual Serial Motor Controllers... I use them in all my designs. It is a pretty straight forward hook up and the documentation is quite clear... it even has a Parallax BASIC Stamp example code that can easily be translated to PICAXE BASIC... did you have a specific question?

tmack

That looks pretty neat. Could you could give us an example of picaxe code you use to drive 2 motors? I think I'm going to order one of these.

alexthefox

I'm a big fan of Pololu's Dual Serial Motor Controllers... I use them in all my designs. It is a pretty straight forward hook up and the documentation is quite clear... it even has a Parallax BASIC Stamp example code that can easily be translated to PICAXE BASIC... did you have a specific question?

hi, so if you know how to work, please can you write simple code to move forward and backward 2 motor?
maybe you help not only me.. thank again.

alexthefox

As I stated earlier, there is very good documentation that explains exactly how to use it (including sample code). You can download the documentation for free at http://www.pololu.com/products/pololu/0410/smc02b_guide.pdf

I think that the only change you need to make from the code provided is to change the pin assignments and use "parenthesis" instead of "brackets" for the SEROUT command.

in the manual, the speed of comunication is set at 9600 with code 84
serout PIN,84,($80,0,0,SPEED)

in picaxe, must to put the real value? like 9600?
thk

Wrenow

Uh, no, not exactly. And, "It depends."

What Picaxe are you using? The different chips have different optimum solutions. For instance the X1 chips support Hserout, the 08M is more limited in baud rate and does plain serout only. How to use the serial output is covered in the fine Picaxe manual (try section 2, page 142) linked above. If you have not already downloaded it and printed it off, you might find this a good time. Lots of good information there. Also, have you searched the archives here for serial communication - tons of examples and solutions to problems.

If you will let us know what you have tried, or what you propose to do, the more detail you provide will make it easier to provide an answer.

Cheers,

Wreno

You don't need/want to use HSEROUT with the Pololu Dual Serial Motor Controller... it takes care of managing the motors... the only thing it needs is a command to tell it what you want it to do... you communicate your commands by a simple serial string, which is easy for a microcontroller to send using the SEROUT command.