PL-2303 USB to Serial Adapter

ruffhead

Hi,
I am in the process of buying a dell laptop computer, OS can be windows XP or vista, can I use PL-2303 USB to Serial Adapter on a vista machine ?. Not really worried if not, as i can opt for a windows XP machine.

regards
john

moxhamj

I don't know but maybe someone has tried this. When I install an OS I run through a checklist of things that need to work - quick test to printer, network etc. Try to find any bugs early on. If it needs an uninstall then do it early before you have spent too much time installing software. Will Dell give you both XP and Vista or do they make you choose just one? I've had a number of split partition computers over the years - it makes changing OS less painful. If you have XP then maybe get Vista and install XP if it doesn't work.

Vista has been round a while now - I'd probably take the risk and go Vista as bugs have probably been ironed out.

craigcurtin

Careful about which Dell you get if you want to go back to XP

Make sure before you plonk your hard earned down that if you are getting a machine with Vista that the drivers are available to go back to XP - many of the newer machines make it very difficult to track down XP drivers etc. It can be many hard days work - trust me i have had to do this for a couple of clients on different Dell and HP laptops recently

Craig

ruffhead

before you plonk your hard earned down

Hi,
I will be requesting the installed operating system be Windoze xp.
Hopefully no worries then as I have XP on my desktop computer with no worries, having said that here comes Murphy' law
thanks
john