Piezo Sensors

rq3

I've borrowed some technology from the auto industry, which uses piezoelectric sensors to determine if an engine is "knocking", or "pinging", so as to adjust the ignition timing to avoid this potentially damaging condition.

My application was to use a common piezo disc to detect the contact of a 3D printer nozzle to its printing bed, without responding to motor noise, acoustical vibration, and the like. It turns out that the solution is mechanical, rather than electrical (or actually a combination of both), but the results are...astounding.

By adhering a small 1/2 inch diameter steel ball to a standard 41mm diameter piezo disc, and supporting the disc by its rim, it becomes very insensitive to acoustic vibration (motor noise, guitar strums, etc.), but very sensitive to axial taps. Gramps Dulcimer Hammer, from a while back, immediately comes to mind as a possible application.

The piezo disc output is diode clipped, low pass filtered, and input to a Picaxe 8M2 ADC. The circuit triggers to do whatever you like at an ADC input above a chosen level.

The 3D printer community has used piezo sensors for many years, with various contortions of clamps, bending, mechanical triggers, torsion, and the like, but I have never seen the addition of a "seismic mass" like mine. It appears to open a entire new realm for these very inexpensive devices.

The posts I made over the past few weeks regarding ADC response times, etc. were in regards to this project, and I really appreciate all of the detailed responses. I hope this very simple, yet apparently functional, modification to a common device helps someone. I can calibrate my 3D printer by nozzle contact alone to levels that the firmware on the printer is incapable of reporting (less than 5 microns, the resolution of the kinematics). A single sensor is adhered under the heated bed of the printer, and detects a BB dropped anywhere on the bed, but does not respond to motor noise or movement.

Attachments

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

I have not used piezo sensors with a PICAXE. However, a few years I saw this prize-winning artwork, "Connect" in Madrid, Spain created by Andreas Muxel. It used one of those A****o things to control it. The suspended steel balls referred to in the web article are suspended from a piezo sensor, in turn suspended from a stepper motor. The piezo sensors detect that the "analogue bar with magnets attached" has moved from one ball to another. A very clever machine and mesmerising to watch in action. There is a video about mid page which shows the machine in action, including close-ups of a piezo sensor.

Having said all that, it should be possible to monitor the piezo with an ADC input. Whether the PICAXE is fast enough is another question...

premelec

From Nov 11 2008 correspondance I had with another PICAXE user:
Hi Premelec,
M2727 here, I was interested in the description of that
motion detector you described in the Boiler thread.

Do you have any details of the Make, Model or Manufacturer of
the unit you describe (piezo with shot mounted on the disc as a sensor)

Thanks,

Michael
Hi, It was just a common looking disc about 1 inch in diameter with gold plate contacts and a lead ball about 1/8 inch diameter glued to the middle... the lead ball came off easily but the unit had wear and came from a bin back of a shop that makes tracking GPS vehicle equipment... anyhow one of the URLs in previous discussion on piezos had a very simple motion circuit - used in a toy I think it was - there are solid state tilt switches coming on the market now that we aren't supposed to play with mercury but they are still expensive...

I've taken apart a lot of stuff over 65 years and don't recall seeing a lead ball glued to a piezo before! [though plenty of intertial and mercury switches]. Anyhow if you can locate the simple toy circuit that should work for a vibration out signal with a weight on the piezo... putting the lead up on a lever arm would make the assembly more sensitive but perhaps also more fragile... have fun!

rq3

From Nov 11 2008 correspondance I had with another PICAXE user:

Hi, It was just a common looking disc about 1 inch in diameter with gold plate contacts and a lead ball about 1/8 inch diameter glued to the middle... the lead ball came off easily but the unit had wear and came from a bin back of a shop that makes tracking GPS vehicle equipment... anyhow one of the URLs in previous discussion on piezos had a very simple motion circuit - used in a toy I think it was - there are solid state tilt switches coming on the market now that we aren't supposed to play with mercury but they are still expensive...

I've taken apart a lot of stuff over 65 years and don't recall seeing a lead ball glued to a piezo before! [though plenty of intertial and mercury switches]. Anyhow if you can locate the simple toy circuit that should work for a vibration out signal with a weight on the piezo... putting the lead up on a lever arm would make the assembly more sensitive but perhaps also more fragile... have fun!
premelec, that's fascinating. I know just about every modern car engine has a knock sensor based on a mass loaded piezo (which is where I got the idea). I'm just surprised that the 3D printer community hasn't stumbled across this in the past 10 years or so. It makes an astonishing difference in the response of the disc.

premelec

I didn't know about knock sense units... considering where I had picked up the one I found likely was being used for a general vibration sense unit... [BTW I don't remember original boiler discussion] M2727 said:

"There is a vibration analysis tool that uses a piezo with a weight
glued to it and a 2 transistor amp into a comparitor, 4 LED disp.
It is patented in the USA and AUST. I helped design it.
That was my main interest, I thought you may have come across
a cheap Chinese knock-off from your original description."

I guess the patent has expired...