Picaxe vsm relay simulation problems?

NOS9

Greetings everyone,

Recently i have been attempting to have a relay in my picaxe vsm simulation, which is triggered by a transistor on one of my micro-controllers out-pins, and it wouldn't work, even through it was clear that the transistor was turning on, but the relay would not trigger.

I thought it was doing something wrong, so i kept trying different things and questioning my memory of studying electronics. I tried searching google and this forum, but all of the help or questions were directed at physical picaxe circuits using a relay, or a single question of the same problem i had, but with no answer.

So i kept looking after giving up for the night, and sore a video showing a "Latching Relay Circuit.wmv" on youtube, and sore that this video was definitely using picaxe vsm. In this persons circuit simulation he is using a relay from the picaxe_parts library, so i tried it and it works exactly as i originally expected.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.... Is it standard for only picaxe_library parts to be simulated, or is there a problem?

I tried relays G2RL-24-CF-DC5 and JWD-171-25 and nothing happened. Not many young people have the determination to stick with something, so having problems with a simulation software designed for beginners & professionals, with no information or guidance its going to cause a lot of frustration and most will likely give up.

I hope this solution i found will be helpful to others, and i hope picaxe vsm continues to improves.

NOS9

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Is it standard for only picaxe_library parts to be simulated, or is there a problem?
All parts should be simulated so this suggests there's something different between the relay which does work and those which do not; perhaps there's not enough voltage across the relay coil taking into account the voltage drop through the transistor ?

The PICAXE library part has a 4V activating voltage, the other two are rated as 5V, so perhaps they really do need 5V across the coil for them to activaye ?

NOS9

After an hour at least of trying different ways to identify the problem, my head began to hurt. I tried different relays, i tried using a direct voltage supply of around 5.5v at first to 12v which i might not have done with a real relay, but i could not get any type of activity. I even tried changing some of the values of the relay properties, but nothing would result in the relay closing.

I am assuming i am doing something wrong, but i would great fully like to resolve the problem so i can use them.

I also apologise for coming on to strongly in my first post, it wasn't needed and i appreciate your reply.

NOS9