PICAXE VSM M2 Model Update now available

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We're pleased to announce the PICAXE VSM M2 models (v4.01) are now available - please see the model upgrade patch on the downloads tab at
www.picaxe.com/vsm
It's a very small download that will add the M2 model functionality to PICAXE VSM v4 (ISIS 7.10).
The patch will also add 18M2 support to the older version 3 (ISIS 7.08).

The M2 models are currently in beta release, but should support almost all user BASIC programs, including those that use parallel tasking.

SJDBtech

Hi there, I've downloaded and installed the latest version of Picaxe VSM, as well as the M2 patch, but I cannot seem to find the M2/X2 parts when I search for them in the software. Am I missing something? I can find the 08M, but not the 08M2, etc. Please advise. Thanks.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The new parts are in the PICAXE library (PICAXE_IC.LIB).
If you can't find them make sure you have the latest version installed - must be ISIS version 7.10 in Help>About.

If you have upgraded from an old PICAXE VSM version on Vista/7/8 also make sure Windows has not cached the old library
in the 'compatibility files' (also known as AppData\Local\VirtualStore) folder - use Windows Explorer to browse to either

C:\Program Files\Revolution Education\PICAXE VSM\LIBRARY
C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE VSM\LIBRARY

and click the 'compatibility files' button - if there are files in this compatibility folder you can delete all files that start with 'PICAXE' , this will force Windows to use the new 'master' library files again next time ISIS is run.

You can also repeat this procedure with any compatibility files that start 'PICAXE' within the MODELS folder, click the 'compatibility files' button on either of these
C:\Program Files\Revolution Education\PICAXE VSM\MODELS
C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE VSM\MODELS

Last edited:

darb1972

Hello Technical

I have a VSM licence and it is valid up until 29/6/2012 (been a "customer" for a number of years now). I regularly check for updates but it always says that there are no updates available at this time. I just read this post and checked my current version of VSM. It says it's "Release 7.4 SP2 (Build 6564). How do I go about getting onto the latest version (7.10) so I can then install the M2 patch? I thought while ever your licence was valid the updates happened automatically?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Please see the Update FAQ which are at www.picaxe.com/vsm
Once you have renewed (not necessary in your case as you are up to date) you can simply install the new version over the top of the old version.

Unfortunately the in-built ISIS update system is for the 'normal' ISIS, whereas PICAXE VSM is a 'special educational version' of ISIS.
It is indeed a bit confusing, but basically you can manually update from the files at www.picaxe.com/vsm