Picaxe Upgrade for $5 Line Follower

erco

I fabbed this Picaxe "shield" to upgrade a $5 Chinese line follower to programmable robot. It replaces the stock LM393 dual comparator. Pretty basic (no H-bridge so motor forward on/off only) but it's nice to have an upgrade path for students who have built one already. More to come.

erco

No, it was a quickie slam to prove a point but I can prolly sketch something up if you are interested. My intention was to get a few sensors on it, maybe even a mini breadboard area. Just trying to get some extra mileage out of these cheap line followers.

That could justify adding a 5V booster for some sensors, so it could get complicated...

Jeff Haas

If you have the time, just put enough together so I know how to connect a micro instead of the chip. I have one of these that would be good to repurpose for quick tests.

Jeff Haas

I took another look at your breakout board and compared it to the LM393 datasheet...here's what I got:

1 - Out to motor 1, in from 08M2 pin C.1
4 - GND, from socket to 08M2 pin 8

8 - VCC, from socket to 08M2 pin 1
7 - Out to motor 2, in from 08M2 C.2

Plus the parts for the download circuit. Is that it?

Then the code would drive the pin for each motor high to turn it on.

erco

Yep, that's it exactly, not much to it. I put a 14 pin socket on so it could also take a 14M2. I plan to add an IR receiver and a few extra connections for bump sensors, light sensors etc.

kranenborg

... I plan to add an IR receiver and a few extra connections for bump sensors, light sensors etc.
I would then suggest to use the IR receiver using interrupt-based control (since the IR protocol can trigger the interrupt, then one can simply read the code). Thus even a simple 5$ device can perform autonomously whilst also allowing IR-based control. For a code example, see this link

/Jurjen

Last edited: