PICAXE Rebooting when Command is given

mccheesy

I've run into a problem with my personal project that's using a PICAXE 20M2 that I don't quite understand.

The project was tested on a solderless breadboard with all the same components, the same code, power supply, etc, and it worked just fine.

Now that I've moved the components to a stripboard that I've soldered the components to, the PIC will reboot when I give it an IR input from a remote control. The puzzling part is that the initialization code works just fine, with LEDs powering on via pwm and a piezo buzzer outputting a tune.

Doing a search online results in people saying to make sure that the battery/power connections are secure and to have a decoupling capacitor across the PICAXE power leads, both of which I have done even on the breadboard.

I'm using a 20M2 in a socket powered by 3 AA batteries (I've tried fresh AA's to no luck) and a 100nF capacitor across the power and ground of the PICAXE.

EDIT: Duh! Accidentally left Serial In floating! I soldered my serial download jack in, which has a 10K resistor and connection to ground that solves that.

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

I'm glad you solved the problem.

There is something about posting a problem that helps to get it solved. More than once I have posted asking for help, on this and other forums, only to realise where I had gone wrong minutes later. It must be something to do with maximising my embarrassment!