Picaxe Laptop!

Brietech

Here is a DIY Picaxe-based "Laptop," built using an 18X chip and a 24LC512 i2c memory chip.

It runs a simple assembly-like language, and includes the following software:

* Text editor that can edit up to 4 different programs at a time
* File manager with space for 10 ~1000 line programs
* Interpreter for the tokenized "Chris++" Language
* "Compiler" that converts program text to binary tokens

It was a simple experiment to see if I could create my own "self-hosted" development environment based solely on a picaxe chip. The website for it can be seen at www.chrisfenton.com

Attachments

WOW!

I looked through your coding but didn't understand the programming language that the laptop programs....

Anyway, great job, looks like you must of put a ton of effort into this...

Last edited:

jessejay356

cool

Great project. I'd try to make it as small as possible next.. and have a keyboard port rather then building in the keyboard. Then you could have a Picaxe PDA. Add reminders, contact info and little vibrating motor/speaker and you could have a sweet little device you could put in your pocket and would be quite useful!

Brietech

If I took away the builtin keyboard, it would be more of a Picaxe Desktop =) A Picaxe pda would require a thinner screen than I happen to have lying around (a big reason for the thickness is the serial backpack on the lcd screen). It would also still need some sort of input (haven't seen someone do a touchscreen yet!).

XnederlandX - The "language" it uses is basically a copy of a simple machine language for a processor I built one time (plus a handful of useful features). At least, that is how it started out. The interpreter works more like a "virtual machine." The hardest part was cramming the text editor, compiler and interpreter all into the measly 2k of codespace on an 18X chip =)

jessejay356

Serial Display

Sorry, didn't see any pictures of what the back of the screen looked like to judge it's size. Yeah, you'd need a couple buttons to navigate/etc... you could even get cleaver and use gyros to navigate/etc... but that seams a bit silly... maybe fun though. Just making a suggestion, feel free to call me crazy/stupid! :)