PICAXE handling GPS for robot boat

Robin Lovelock

The best place to ask micromite questions is TheBackShed, in the Microcontroller forum, here: http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16
Many Thanks lbenson. I saw your visit to www.gpss.co.uk/micromit.htm and I took a quick visit to this forum. I must admit that I much prefer direct email, and in recent years have been very lax about checking even this Picaxe Forum - valuable in getting advice from people like Hippy. I see that TheBackShed.com was set up by Glenn Littleford, in Toowoomba, and I see that, like Geoff in Perth, Oz, There are a few of my old GPSS users within walking distance. I've just got back from Roy. who got me started on Picaxe, and maybe he will choose to follow up - although he has already done the important work for me. Now I just want a ready made board that will connect with those specified GPS, Compass, TTS, and servo - some of which might go on the same board. Anyone is welcome to make direct email contact with me.
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

Robin Lovelock

Many Thanks lbenson. I saw your visit to www.gpss.co.uk/micromit.htm and I took a quick visit to this forum. I must admit that I much prefer direct email, and in recent years have been very lax about checking even this Picaxe Forum - valuable in getting advice from people like Hippy. I see that TheBackShed.com was set up by Glenn Littleford, in Toowoomba, and I see that, like Geoff in Perth, Oz, There are a few of my old GPSS users within walking distance. I've just got back from Roy. who got me started on Picaxe, and maybe he will choose to follow up - although he has already done the important work for me. Now I just want a ready made board that will connect with those specified GPS, Compass, TTS, and servo - some of which might go on the same board. Anyone is welcome to make direct email contact with me.
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk
WHAT A LOT HAS HAPPENED SINCE THAT LEAD TO THE BACK SHED FORUM ! :)

But I reckon Revolution Education and the Picaxe will get as much if not more opportunities for publicity, following what is going on now.

Please visit my www.gpss.co.uk and follow the links through the expanded "Holiday" page, and through to the "Team Joker's Sailing Saucer" video just uploaded.

It's best that you find it before the wife does - I'm clearly in for it :)

I'm looking forward to when the google youtube video translation process gets around to this video: so our overseas friends can read the subtitles.

That reminds me: I need to add an American translation flag, even if google translate does not yet support it :)

Love and Strength ! :)
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

manuka

Robin: Totally the wrong forum to ask this mate! Although apparently now available in the UK, the rapidly evolving Micromites are a "down under" design. Google ... Stan

Robin Lovelock

Hi Guys. Maybe someone can help me, and maybe I can return a favour !

This is a long email, because I thought, for those interested, I'd include that sent today to the Microtransat group.

The reason for this posting is that I was hoping to order some more old 28X2 boards, already assembled, to pass on to others to get started.

Who knows, someone among you may wish to join "Extended Team Joker" and load my autopiloit software, not changed in years.

If they want to contruct their own little robot boats, that's up to them: join the club :)

Instead of soldering up the boards themselves, and loading my old - but well tested - autopilot software,
they may be happy - at a sensible price - to sell the assembled boards with my software inside them.

How nice to see this forum still there, after so many years.

I chuckled when I saw the last exchange on this thread - my talking about the Micromite product.
Yes, we've used that, because it's so much easier to program, but that's not a reason to change computers used in aircraft, ships, and missiles :)

I'll end with my email sent out this morning to that Microtransat forum of guys interested in Trans-Atlantic attempts.

Thanks John ( founder member of Snoopy's Team-Joker in 2008 ).

I'll put in more detail after your email, with some links - yes, they are relevant.

Everyone: all this is public and can be passed to whom you wish, but please you common sense in disclosure of email addresses.

No problem with mine

On 09/06/2021 23:13, John wrote:
"a decade ago" ? It was 2008 and how you got me started is at the bottom of www.gpss.co.uk/rb08to10.htm

"moved on" ? I've stopped chuckling after seeing that article - I guess they could try putting putting sails on it ?
Should block the Suez Canal nicely when something breaks
Relevant link ? www.gpss.co.uk/easams.htm - not Royal Navy stuff but system for radar tracking in the Gulf.

"See yah Friday" - yes, our little "Grumpy Old Men" Pub Lunch at The Weatsheaf next to Virginia Water lake.
www.gpss.co.uk/walks.htm - around Virginia Water Lake - local Royalty, The Beatles, Diana Doors, etc.

I've not asked again in recent years, but in 2008, I nearly got permission for us to use Virgina Water Lake for testing Snoopy's boats.
Back in 2001 I had got the OK for geocaching there, when that GPS treasure-hunting hobby started: www.gpshobby.info

Many within Microtransat, and some in Team-Joker, have been more interested in learning new skills such as engineering.
I think I addressed that in the recent update to the top of the "Snoopy" page www.gpss.co.uk/autop.htm

For me, there are not enough hours in the day, but I'm afraid that I'm more interested in technology
where the military have always been several decades ahead, even if exploiting consumer stuff.
e.g. biological "drones" where the platform is an animal, fish, or even an insect, such as a dragonfly.
Our new cat Tody has been checking out some of the stuff: www.gpss.co.uk/tody.htm

To end on a more serious note, I've been thinking of us "getting some new blood" into Team-Joker,
since, as we all grow older, our priorities change. After the TV and radio publicity in 2012,
I was asked to give a chat at a local private school - but it's always seemed to me that
the model sailing boat clubs, locally or overseas, have the most relevant "talent".

Most of the electronic stuff is easy and "off the shelf" - if you choose the right bits and software.
It's the simple things like the boat itself, water proofing, mechanical linkages, that are the key.
And - of course - lots of testing before deployment !

The partial eclipse should have started by now for some of us

Take Care.
Robin
www.gpss.co.uk

1020 BST ( 0920z GMT/UT/GPS Time ) Thursday 10th June 2021

Robin Lovelock at 22 Armitage Court, Sunninghill, Ascot, Berkhire, England, UK.
Landline UK (+44) 01344 620775 Mobile 07736 353 404
Unchanged for decades and public on "Contact" page www.gpss.co.uk/contacts.htm