picaxe editor problems

william47316

hey guys, im having some issues with prog edit and some "off the shelf" USB serial converters and windows 7
i have two of these adapters one causes windows 7 to blue screen whenever i run the progedit software or initialize the port with the software and the other gives me a runtime error saying it cant read the port or similar when using the terminal window and presumably wont program either, i have tried both adapters in hyper terminal and appear to work ok, although a hard loopback test doesnt work, using a crossover serial null modem between an old toshiba 420 cdt (which i want to retire for both picaxe work and in general) and the adapter sends and receives fine

btw i am running the latest version of the progedit software and all drivers are current AFAIK, windows 7 home premium 64 bit as well
can someone see if this can be fixed or a workaround aside from using the adapters from rev-ed as i use mostly the header pin style programmer and hence those cables instead of the 3.5 mm stereo jack

BeanieBots

Issues with 'alternative' download cables crop up quite often.
Suggest you contact the vendor for help.

The AXE027 works and is supported here.
For the sake of 50p, make yourself an adaptor for 3.5mm to molex.

william47316

i guess that means im gonna have to use my aging toshiba 420cdt until it dies then. also the adapters cost $4.50 and $10.50 (new zealand dollars BTW) so they werent exactly cheap

william47316

i have found a solution, using a virtual machine. i have made up a windows XP virtual machine and installed the serial converter on that and it works fine