picaxe control of cellphone using relays

lbenson

An instructable was published on Dec 1, "Make a remote controlled camera from a cellphone!" This was by "tanntraad"--I don't recognize him as a forum regular. A PICAXE 18 was used. I would love to see this done using serial commands as opposed to relays. There is a lot of information on the web about controlling Nokia phones, but the protocol seems very complex--most people are using PCs and some open source software, gnokii.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-remote-controlled-camera-from-a-cellphone!/?ALLSTEPS

peatmoss

I used a picaxe 08M to and vibration sensor to control a GPS tracking phone. The phone was a Motorola i415. The idea was to turn the phone on only when it was in motion to save the battery. I was able to extend the battery from 24 hours to 1.5 weeks.

When the phone boots it loads the Mologogo application which sends your GPS coordinates to the www.mologogo.com website where you can track it’s location in real time.

I believe I used a 2n4401 transistor to close the keypad to ground. The picaxe output pin was tied to the base of the transistor with a 1k resistor. The collector was tied to the key on the keypad and the base to ground. You could do a lot of cool stuff if you tapped into all the keys.