Picaxe Chip Labels

erco

I almost dropped my sweet tea & boiled peanuts when I saw "y'all" and South Carolina. I'm from Charleston originally. Pleased to make yo' 'quaintance, my good suh. And mighty fine labels there, hoss. Nice of you to share. Southern hospitality!

SAborn

GEE!!!

Do the South of the states really talk like that? and i thought it was only in moves they used redneck language?

Heck!! with a speech impediment like that, im surprised you can actually write a program for picaxe.

We live and learn!!

inglewoodpete

Yes they do talk like that. (At least, they did 30 years ago when I was there!)

I remember being amused ordering a meal in a fast food store (I was 30 years younger) and then hear my order translated to a different dialect when passed on to the kitchen/prep area behind.

westaust55

mikeyBoo

GEE!!!

Do the South of the states really talk like that? and i thought it was only in moves they used redneck language?

Heck!! with a speech impediment like that, im surprised you can actually write a program for picaxe.

We live and learn!!
That's one of the cool/fun things about this site: the diverse dialects of English.
You might be surprised that upstate SC has the 6th highest per capita concentration of engineers in the USA.
Texas & Alabama even more so.
We combine words into mnemonics for more efficient communication (kind of a space age French).
e.g.
h'nuh = come over here or it's right here
y'all = a grouping construct
o'vair = it's over there
We can talk California English (as in most movies) but it's fun to play with words.
Gotta' go fishin' now... Where's my banjo? G'day mate.

inglewoodpete

And now I've actually had a look at the PDFs. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the description of how you use them.

I use a lot of 28X2s but then, I've memorised most of the pin functions.

mikeyBoo

Do you have any labels for 08M2 SMD? :)
I assume you're joking, but if you have an electron microscope, scale the PDIP 08M2 to 50% & go for it! I would love to see a picture of the positioned label.
Went ahead & added the Picaxe-28X2 & Picaxe-40X2 to the labels pdf. However, since I don't have either, no guarantee about the fit.
Geez... another rainy day. No fishing.

Attachments

ZOR

As near to thread, can someone tell me why all IC's including Picaxe have so poorly printed type markings. I use a magnifying glass and tilt the chip slightly so it picks up more of a reflective light to read.

inglewoodpete

As near to thread, can someone tell me why all IC's including Picaxe have so poorly printed type markings. I use a magnifying glass and tilt the chip slightly so it picks up more of a reflective light to read.
Easy. They are designed by young people for young people. Like modern paper instruction manuals.

westaust55

Believe that in the past the IC's were identified by printing in white ink. Certainly were a lot easier to read back then.

In more recent times they are now laser etched. This results in small pits/grooves and the text appears grey and harder to read unless light angles are right.

Last edited:

srnet

In more recent times they are now laser etched. This results in small pits/grooves and the text appears grey and harder to rear unless light angles are right.
Yes, quicker cheaper than printing with ink.

And the reality is that for probably 99.9% of devices made these days, no-one actually needs to read the label.

CDRIVE

GEE!!!

We live and learn!!
No! Hollywood rarely captures southern dialects when casting stars to play the role. Once in a blue moon they'll cast a born Southerner to get it right. How strong a dialect is is related to metropolitan vs. rural areas. Lizard Lick Towing (reality TV?) follows two good old boys that spend there time prepossessing cars, tractors and boats. They are as authentic "good ol boys" as you can get. The repo scenes may be staged but they're genuine Crackers. I would imagine that telling them that they have a speech impediment would not be advisable if you enjoy eating solid food! :p

Chris

Goeytex

...And the reality is that for probably 99.9% of devices made these days, no-one actually needs to read the label.
Hmmm. With all due respect, that would be your "reality" certainly not mine nor that of many other engineers and technicians that I work with.

By that logic there need be no markings at all and 99.9% of end users would be happy with that. .... I think not.

CDRIVE

Believe that in the past the IC's were identified by printing in white ink. Certainly were a lot easier to read back then.

In more recent times they are now laser etched. This results in small pits/grooves and the text appears grey and harder to rear unless light angles are right.
In the 60's and probably long before that period electronics suppliers sold a white stick that was rubbed into the pointer grooves of Bakelite knobs and the excess wiped off. I wonder if would work with the shallow laser etching on the chips? My tired old eyes get tortured reading them!

Chris

srnet

By that logic there need be no markings at all and 99.9% of end users would be happy with that. .... I think not.
Which is exactly the case for most SMT ceramic capacitors of course, that does not seem to cause problems.

When a volume manufacturer loads up a reel of surface mount ICs, do they need to read the markings ?

Goeytex

I live in the research and prototyping world (as do many others) where volume generally is low. Not everyone is a volume manufacturer and loads up reels of components for runs of thousands. That is done after the prototyping work.

Shall we also remove the color bands from resistors? Even small 605 SMD resistors have readable markings.

On PICS I have seen well etched markings and poorly etched markings. I have a several Picaxe 20X2's that are unreadable at any angle (PIC18F14K22 ). Same with some 32-bit Pics.. One is readable and 3 are not .

Excuses aside ... this is clearly a Microchip quality control problem with the laser etching.

mikeyBoo

Transfer Tape Holder for making labels/construction decals

hi folks,
The attached pdfs show a transfer tape holder. Transfer tape is great for making labels & mechanical assemblies.
(The first post in this thread explains how to use the tape.)
If you work in a job shop, you may already know all this stuff, but it may be new info for some of the younger guys (& was a good excuse for me to clean up an old drawing).
My old tape holders are made from 1/4 inch polycarbonate (e.g. Lexan) or possibly acrylic. Poly taps better & won't crack as easily
(I often use it for making gears).
The tape core is from a fishing line reel, so if you fish, you probably have one.
Also threw in some ruler decals (in inches as mils, haven't done a metric ruler decal yet).
Keep in mind the plans are only as good as your printer accuracy (import to Inkscape for printer scaling if needed).
Drawing snap is 0.025 inch (0.005 for fine adjustments).
Enjoy.

Attachments