picaxe 08M2 reads 2.4ghz r.c. transmitter/receiver to control model tug LEDs

Wrigley

Hi all
This is my first post and I thought I'd send this fairly straight forward program. This reads the radio control from pretty much any make of transmitter, in this case it's a Planet T5. The receiver outputs 1 to 2mS pulses every 20mS (at about 4 volts) with 1.5mS being the centre position of the joystick.
When these are connected to the picaxe input pins a number from approx 100 to 200 into the locations of your choosing. I say approx because the tolerances vary from make to make.
This circuit will turn on and off my model tug boat LED's. If the pulse is less than 1.4mS they turn off and more than 1.6mS turn on.
I'll attach the file but I have drawn the circuit diagram on Nano CAD and it won't let me save as a pdf.
If any one does wish to see it let me know and I could photograph it and attach that.

Soon I will post my motor speed controller ESP that I have designed and built which will allow me to control the boat on the lake again using the 08M2.

Comments are welcome.

Attachments

lbenson

I have drawn the circuit diagram on Nano CAD and it won't let me save as a pdf.
Will it fit on a screen so you could take a screen shot of it? Always interested to look at circuit diagrams (and never heard of Nano CAD).

Wrigley

I was looking for a free autocad lite when this nanocad 5 came up free so I used it but some features don't work.
I've screen printed it but the text may be too small though. Thanks for replying.

PieM

On every cad system you can use Printer/plotter > internal PDF plotter.
nanoCAD is not the best for electronic schematic ! Diptrace is free, with Picaxe components.

Wrigley

Yes I tried that but when I clicked plot it said this is only available on the professional version. So I'll try the diptrace you mentioned thanks very much.

Last edited:

Volhout

A very similar project

Wrigley

Hi Volhout
Thanks for adding your project. I see that our circuits are similar.
I modified my project by adding a 12 volt change over relay because I discovered that new tug boat Towing Regulations state that when towing forward (Bow) extra lights on the front of the Masthead turn on (rear lights off).
And when towing in reverse (Stern) extra lights on the rear of the Masthead turn on (front lights off).

It's good to see some one else's circuit to control a similar thing. I've attached my modified circuit.
thanks again.

Attachments

Wrigley

Hi Volhout
I also posted an R.C. project on the robot section which controls a plastic crane where I have fitted mini steppers, servo and linear motors and control it with the joysticks. It took me 6 months to do it, long time.
Also I designed speed controllers for the propellers in miscellaneous section.