picaxe 08m2 and C.0 out

billacj

I think my 08m2 chip is bad and made this little test routine to test each output. I don't find anything that says the 08m2 pin 7 / C.0 does not output high/low. C.0 is not responding using a LED and 330 ohm resistor to ground like the other 3 pins in this routing. Specs say C.0 is serial out (out/hserout/DAC) Correct ? Thanks, Bill

Code:
main: 
	high c.0
	high c.1
	high c.2
	high c.4	
	pause 1000
	low c.0
	low c.1
	low c.2
	low c.4
	pause 1000
	goto main

eclectic

Your program does indeed toggle an LED on Pin C.0

However, before the chip is declared "bad",
a few obvious checks.

1. Is the circuit is complete and sound.
(Perhaps try swapping LED's)

2. Has the Picaxe chip been in any "accidents"?

3. The pin must be working to some degree at least:- you can download a program.

e

Last edited:

IronJungle

For what it's worth, I totally abused a PICAXE 08M in my last project subjecting it to excessive draw over and over and over and over.
Once I found out what the problem was it amazed that still worked after the abuse I put it through.

The PICAXEs are not immortal, but they are pretty tough!

russbow

If "the other three pins are responding" then the 08m2 is programming ok.

The LED on c.0 will flicker during the programming sequence as it shared with the serial out. This should not be a problem.

If the LED does NOT flicker, I suggest you revisit the LED/330 ohm/pinc.0 and ground connection. Also change the LED for a known good one.

billacj

Thanks everyone, looks like static electricity damaged the chip. I was able to remove an 08 from another project and it work fine. At first I was thinking there was a note about the 08m2 and c.0 that was overlooked but this is it. Thanks for all the replies. The project is a small 2 input, 2 output controller for my old VW. Bill ....

manuka

billacj: I've been involved with 1000s of PICAXEs over the last ~10 years, & have not lost one yet. The little darlings are indeed near bullet proof.

inglewoodpete

To add my 20c to the feedback....

If you can program the chip, then there is nothing wrong with C.0. It is required for handshaking with the PC while programming.

Last edited: