Picaxe 08 programming problems

TheCommiser

ive got a picaxe all wired up on a breadboard, all its got is 12v into a 12v regulator, and the the picaxe, connected to a laptop via the cable. whenever i try to download anything into it, it tells me that it cannot find hardware, but if i hyper terminal then it works fine... reseting by the way it tells me too doesnt seem to work either.... any help please

andrewpro

Umh....12 volts is bad. I hope your not putting the 12 volts to the picaxe? It takes, I believe, 5.5 volts at most, but that's one of the Max values, so not recommended. Usually 4.5-5 is the best.

andrewpro

could you expand more on the hyperterminal thing? Exactly what are you doing wih HT?

Are you using a homebrew setup, or a board from rev ed?

Are you using a homebrew cable or a pre-made one?

Have you tried any other chips or just this one?

ylp88

Which PICAXE are you using?

Have you got a resonator (or Xtal w/loading capacitors) connected?

Have you tied the reset line high?

Have you got anything else connected? If you have devices which are placing too much strain on the battery or power supply, the voltage may dip below +5V and cause odd results.

Keep in mind that you can tell HyperTerminal to activate a port with nothing connected to it and it won't give you any error messages.

ylp88

Edited by - ylp88 on 4/12/2005 1:22:14 AM

jmumby

Check that your port is turned on in BIOS some manufacturers turn them off by default!

Also if it is an HP like mine you will have to disable the com port and renable it to work. Mad but true.