Pic Logicator curiosity

devian_t

I'm teaching myself on how to program PICs now(after BS2 and lots of PICAXEs). I bought pickit2 starter kit and trying their lessons. The lessons expect me to know all the jargon and things about pics. I don't even know the file register thing.

1. Does free pic logicator from picaxe website can program PICs(Not PICAXEs)?
2. Does the full version from economatics-education can program PICs?
3. Is there a converter of PICAXE program to PICs hex? (I really prefer Higher level programming language than assembly. :p )

westaust55

Have you read the flyer about Logicator?
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/cat_07.pdf

Indicates that a range of PIC chips as well as the range of PICAXE chips can be programmed.

2. Does the full version from economatics-education can program PICs?
See the Rev Ed website:
"The software download will run in 'shareware mode' until a licence key is purchased and installed. The shareware version is not restricted in any way (apart from a nag screen), however if you use the software regularly you should register the software (£15, approx. $20).
‘Logicator for PIC® micros’ is the new name for ‘PIC-Logicator’ and is now developed, published and supplied directly by Revolution Education Ltd. "

On the economatics-education website it states:
"Dedicated user project technical support, including user forum at www.picaxeforum.co.uk"

So you are not getting anything more from the software by buying from economatics-education other than a site license at £199 instead of £15. and they are pointing you right back here to this Rev Ed forum for technical support

3. Is there a converter of PICAXE program to PICs hex?
There is an Assembler mode built into the existing PICAXE Programming Editor

You will need to buy the Rev Ed hardware to program the PIC chips in assembler.

My understanding (I may be corrected here :eek:) is that Logicator has a subset of the PE BASIC commands. Even the PE to assembler may only support a subset of BASIC.

devian_t

Have you read the flyer about Logicator?
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/cat_07.pdf

Indicates that a range of PIC chips as well as the range of PICAXE chips can be programmed.

See the Rev Ed website:
"The software download will run in 'shareware mode' until a licence key is purchased and installed. The shareware version is not restricted in any way (apart from a nag screen), however if you use the software regularly you should register the software (£15, approx. $20).
‘Logicator for PIC® micros’ is the new name for ‘PIC-Logicator’ and is now developed, published and supplied directly by Revolution Education Ltd. "
It doesnt say what range of pics you can program. On the program itself there are no PICs just PICAXE chips.

westaust55

Some history about Logicator here:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=62473

The V2 manual (now out of date) shows the use of PIC chips and PICAXE chips (ot the time) including creation of assembly code for PIC chips.
Supported PIC chips were:
16F84, 16F84A, 16F627, 16F628, 16F872, 16F873, and 16F876.
Analogue outputs not supported for 16F627 and 16F628.

If you say you cannot identify any raw PIC chips in the latest version of Logicator, then maybe up to Rev Ed support to advise further.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member

No. The free Logicator software has to be registered and have a license purchased and you will also need to purchase a BAS800 programmer. You will also need to edit a configuration file to enable programming of PICmicro devices.

3. Is there a converter of PICAXE program to PICs hex? (I really prefer Higher level programming language than assembly. :p )

Purchase and installation of the BAS800 programmer enables an option within Programming Editor to convert Basic to Assembler however only a limited subset of Basic Commands are supported. This is provided as an educational tool, and is not a comprehensive, commercial-style Basic to Assembler compiler.

devian_t

Thank you guys!!

I was looking for a shortcut. I guess I have to learn the commands. Do you guys have a suggestion of a great tutorial for me to start with?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
For PICmicro programming there are a lot of resources at www.microchip.com and quite a few will be found via Google or your favourite search engine. The PICkit2 should have resources and other information on its accompanying CD.

Beyond information on PICmicros and the general development process you'll probably want to choose a programming language and toolset and then concentrate on forums and information which relate to those.

westaust55

No. The free Logicator software has to be registered and have a license purchased and you will also need to purchase a BAS800 programmer. You will also need to edit a configuration file to enable programming of PICmicro devices.
@hippy,
Are you saying that what is stated on the Rev Ed website under the Software section is not correct?
"The software download will run in 'shareware mode' until a licence key is purchased and installed. The shareware version is not restricted in any way (apart from a nag screen).

Purchase and installation of the BAS800 programmer enables an option within Programming Editor to convert Basic to Assembler however only a limited subset of Basic Commands are supported. This is provided as an educational tool, and is not a comprehensive, commercial-style Basic to Assembler compiler.

To see the PIC types the can be programmed:

Code:
; *********************
; Configuration options
; *********************

[OPTIONS]
; Change this option to 1 to show the PIC16Fxx types 
; to be used with the old version 1 programmer.
DISPLAY_PICS=1
; Change this option to 1 to use the old command 'END' 
; instead of the recommended command 'RETURN'
USE_END=0

; **************************************
; List of supported PICAXE and PIC types
; **************************************

[PICAXE]
0=PICAXE08
1=PICAXE08M
2=PICAXE14M
3=PICAXE18
4=PICAXE18A
5=PICAXE18M
6=PICAXE18X
7=PICAXE20M
8=PICAXE28
9=PICAXE28A
10=PICAXE28X
11=PICAXE28X1
12=PICAXE40X
13=PICAXE40X1
14=PIC16F84
15=PIC16F84A
16=PIC16F627
17=PIC16F627A
18=PIC16F628
19=PIC16F628A
20=PIC16F872

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
@hippy, Are you saying that what is stated on the Rev Ed website under the Software section is not correct? "The software download will run in 'shareware mode' until a licence key is purchased and installed. The shareware version is not restricted in any way (apart from a nag screen).
It does seem so, the restriction on not being able to select PICmicro devices in the shareware version is not stated on that page. I'll pass a request on to have the description on that page clarified and updated.

I'll also seek clarification on what PICmicro hardware programmers are supported. It is my understanding that PICkit2 is not directly supported by Logicator for PIC and PICmicros shareware nor licensed.