PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout Emulator

westaust55

EDIT: (9 Nov 2016)
The complete PEBBLE V3.1e software package is available for download from the PICAXE website
An updater file is available at post 768 (page 76) to update V3.1 to V3.1e

An updated description on how to add your own boards with a couple of minor corrections is provided at post 785 (page 79).

NOTE:At the bottom of this post is some guidance on using PEBBLE under Internet Explorer
(from my experience the same security issue does not occur with default setting under Mozilla Firefox)

V3.1 as at November 2016 includes the latest PICAXE M2 parts, some other useful logic chips and
language localisation with language translation files for Spanish, Czech and French (Francais).
Further additions in recent times include a family of bare and insulated 1 span wire links, extra track cuts, cross-overs and a new floating group for items not locked to the board hole pattern/grid.
Notes added explaining how to add your own boards and components.

Still using a single "PEBBLE" front html file for all users to start the program.
This front end selects IE or FF/other depending on the Browser found on your PC

See below for who is currently also hosting which version of PEBBLE.

Revolution Education (UK) on the PICAXE website is hosting V3.1e as a downloadable zip file at:

Robot Gear (Perth WA) is hosting V3.1e as a downloadable zip file and on-line version at:
Robot Gear are Perth based retailers for a range of PICAXE chips, interface chips and robot related components. See: http://www.robotgear.com.au/

Sedeap (Argentina) is hosting V3.1 as an online version at:

Slurp (UK) is hosting V3.1 as a downloadable zip file at:
Slurp also has a page on PEBBLE at the minisumo.org site at: http://www.minisumo.org.uk/wiki/index.php?page=PEBBLE

SinyaWeo (Czech) is hosting V3.1 as an online version at:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Internet Explorer SECURITY topic:
If your Windows security level settings are high, when you run PEBBLE you may be presented with a message like:
“to help protect your computer . . .

MS Internet Explorer stops the loading of the file and displays a warning line at top of the screen that say something like:
"To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted this webpage from running
scripts or ActiveX controls that could access your computer. Click here for options…”

You can permit this access each time you run PEBBLE by:
1. Clicking on the above line at the top of the window
2. click on “Allow blocked content . . .”
3. click on YES in the pop-up Windows security box

Alternatively you can make a permanent setting adjustment to IE by:
1. On the toolbar at the top of IE, click on the TOOLS menu header
2. Select “Internet Options”
3. Click on the “Advanced” tab
4. In the sub-window locate the Security section about ¾ way down the list
5. Tick/check the box “Allow active content to run in files on My Computer”

Setting your web browser to enable printing of the breadboard
(There are support notes on how to do this within the PEBBLE install package by clicking the
link below the PRINT SCREEN button on the menu area at the left of the PEBBLE screen)

Internet Explorer 7 and 8:
from the menu, select:
Tools / Internet Options / Advanced

in the Settings sub window,
scroll down to the 'Printing' section

click on the box for the
'Print background colors and images' Setting

close this help window and you can
now print the PEBBLE breadboard screen

and . . . Don't forget to turn off the
'Print background colors and images'
when finished with PEBBLE
to save printer ink​

Internet Explorer 8 alternate method
from the menu, select:
File / Page Setup

then click on the box for the
'Print Background Colors and Images' Setting

and . . . Don't forget to turn off the
'Print Background Colors and Images'
to save printer ink​

Mozilla Firefox V3.x.x
from the menu, select:
File / Page Setup

then click on the box for the
'Print Background (colors and images)' Setting

and . . .Don't forget to turn off the
'Print Background Colors and Images'
to save printer ink​

Above all else . . . Have fun . . . . . :) :) :) :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Looks great, but the LED popup images are missing from the zip (red_led_1 etc).

westaust55

Looks great, but the LED popup images are missing from the zip (red_led_1 etc).
Apologies for that :eek:

Proved to be a case of last minute tidy up of images and missed a couple of lines in the htlm script file. Have fixed and re-uploaded at post 1. :)

SilentScreamer

Lucking good, its nice to see its such a small file. I look forward to using it (Already got an idea for a project to test it with :D).

BUG: When you type into the text box to label components and press "Enter" the component disappears :eek:

manuka

Westy- I've scrambled displays under both IE7 & FF, when run on 2 different PCs. Maybe my sleepy technique -it's after 2am here...

westaust55

Hmmm, might need some investigation.

Labels are working okay for me.
I have been testing on 4 separate computers all with differnt specs, video cards etc.
Two with Mozilla V3.0.10
Two with IE V7

Here is screen grab with components labelled using the program as just downloaded from the PICAXE forum thread onto a differnt HDD.

@SS,
are you having this problem with labels for all components?
if you do not change the text, just click "Okay" or rotate a component is it also vanishing? :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Suggestion, a print button ( window.print() ) would fit nicely above the clear button...

SilentScreamer

I've just tested it with internet explorer 8, and it is fine. Appears to be limited to Google Chrome so probably a browser bug rather than a problem with your code. Once Manuka has uploaded it I'll report it as a bug.

EDIT (after reading Manuka's post): I can host it if needed until Rev-Ed do.

Last edited:

manuka

Pyjamas & toothbrush time - now 2:30am (pun- "tooth hurty"!) -it looks my procedure ( perhaps folder naming or security on running scripts) as no images showing up, just lots of Xs.

They're there on the .zip extraction however OK. Had you in mind that I host this both live ( as an on line program) & as a downloadable .zip for off line use ? Yawn ... Stan

westaust55

Suggestion, a print button ( window.print() ) would fit nicely above the clear button...
I think it will need a bit more than just that. Investigations to follow . . . .

I had tried to add that feature this evening but found it printed the border around the breadboard, the headers and credits but did not print the breadboard or components. :rolleyes:

Funnily I had set up a button postioned as a strip below the SAVE/LOAD and CLEAR buttons as you suggest.

moxhamj

Woot! Works perfectly on Firefox. You have added heaps of new components. A quick scroll through the gif files shows how it could be possible to add more too. This is fun. Tis midnight here and time for sleep but I will be dreaming of breadboards...

westaust55

Pyjamas & toothbrush time - now 2:30am (pun- "tooth hurty"!) -it looks my procedure ( perhaps folder naming or security on running scripts) as no images showing up, just lots of Xs.

They're there on the .zip extraction however OK. Had you in mind that I host this both live ( as an on line program) & as a downloadable .zip for off line use ? Yawn ... Stan
In IE (at least), you do need to permit ActiveX & scripts otherwise you get the breadboard and some icons at left but cannot proceed.

It should not matter where you have the main directory.
If you have PEBBLE as the main directory (even that can in fact have any name), then
1. Virtual breadboard.html should be in that main directory
2. the folders/directories css, images and javascript are in the main "PEBBLE" directory.

westaust55

Woot! Works perfectly on Firefox. You have added heaps of new components. A quick scroll through the gif files shows how it could be possible to add more too. This is fun. Tis midnight here and time for sleep but I will be dreaming of breadboards...
True, adding more components is relatively easy :D.

Create the gif files (thats the easy bit),
Add menus or extend existing dropdown menus in the main html file.
add the new components to the component image javascript,
add code as neccessary to the utils and application javascripts
then you are almost home and clear
may need some new definitions to the css file for new component types . . .

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
IE6, FF 2.0.0.20, not seeing any breadboard nor components, but not working now with the original MFOS site either. Can drag and drop and see pop-up borders, but everything is 'invisible'. Maybe I tried MFOS with Win 98 because it was working. I'll report back.

@ Stan : Sounds like you didn't get the folder structure when you un-zipped.

lbenson

All worked perfectly for me. I look forward to the additional features (I need that pushbutton and that SIL socket).

I love the fact that the saved file is just a text list of components and characteristics--that opens up possibilities. When you get a chance (low on the list of things to do), please provide the format of the saved file.

Great job--fun to use and looks like it would have been fun to program.

Last edited:

manuka

Daylight! PEBBLE directory structure indeed it was. Reminder to brain- " DO- NOT- UNZIP- FILES- AFTER- 2 AM".

It seems a breeze to tweak supplied .gifs with ones favourite graphics editor! Hence a few mouse clicks chops that BB down to 23 cols.,adds red/black rails, darkens ICs, gives different type style lettering & perhaps adds such standard BB items as 08M programming inputs & supply rails.

Mmm - as chip ID on an inverted 08M will also be inverted, it makes sense to show this as a learner would see it too. Trial attached- it looks almost too easy. I can see all manner of .gif variations rapidly evolving, which is perhaps not such a bad thing. Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

PEBBLE - Picaxe Electronic Bread Board Layout

Daylight! Directory structure indeed it was. Reminder to brain- " DO- NOT- UNZIP- FILES- AFTER- 2 AM".
PEBBLE particularly suits ones own .gif editing ! Hence chopping the BB down to 23 cols. & adding red/black rails is a breeze. Stan.
Hi Stan,

new breadboards will not be quite such a breeze :eek:.
While easy to create the graphic for the background :),
if using just one replacement as I have done to date (with more rows) then maths in the javascripts need some simple editing to suit otherwise you have unseen holes for short boards and no holes for longer boards.

To have a selection of breadboards available will require a button to be set up with a drop down" menu structure and maths to handle the variations in length and with single/double supply rails down the sides. It is all in the maths to stop one positioning a component where there is no hole (such as between supply rail and groups of 5 holes.
All planned for the next release. :)

manuka

WestAust55: The maths certainly appreciated, & components can even be seen settling into phantom holes off the BB's RHS! In fact this allows convenient "parking", perhaps in anticipation of eventual mounting on the trimmed 23 col. BB.

The point I'm making is that user hacks will rapidly spin off from this original Ver.1- how do you view this prospect? Stan.

westaust55

Daylight! PEBBLE directory structure indeed it was. Reminder to brain- " DO- NOT- UNZIP- FILES- AFTER- 2 AM".

It seems a breeze to tweak supplied .gifs with ones favourite graphics editor! Hence a few mouse clicks chops that BB down to 23 cols.,adds red/black rails, darkens ICs, gives different type style lettering & perhaps adds such standard BB items as 08M programming inputs & supply rails.

Mmm - as chip ID on an inverted 08M will also be inverted, it makes sense to show this as a learner would see it too. Trial attached- it looks almost too easy. I can see all manner of .gif variations rapidly evolving, which is perhaps not such a bad thing. Stan
Believe that javascript includes the ability to write from right to left (why???) but no upside-down/inverted fonts :rolleyes:

Certainly if others wish to create their favourite components, they can potentially be included - particularly if falling in to a type I have already establisted. Otherwise may have to wait for me to build up a new structure withint the various javascripts.
Anyone willing to give other colours for LED's a go (blue, white, orange etc) while I move to othe tasks . . . :confused:

westaust55

Playing and thinking (writing?) out load on the topic of off-board components like switches, etc.

1. facts:
(a) position for wires is set from the left/top, so easiest to have wires that drop down below the board

2. presentation for off-board components
(a) create images for the off-board components with the device orientation as vertical and horizontal

(b) in PEBBLE, create two or more wires as necessary that drop below the board (span 4 for example)

(c) move the off-board component into position.

Off board components could be
(a) "floating" like the note tabs so user must ensure alignemnt, or
(b) linked to invisible holes. that gave a "snap" action tothe ends of the wires.

Attachments

Last edited:

moxhamj

Switches look great. Just like the real thing. I'd prefer them to snap to invisible holes, then things would always line up neatly. There is lots of space under the board for components, even battery holders life size.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
On Windows 98 Firefox 2.0.0.20 works okay, but not on Win XP ( invisibility problem as described earlier ).

On Ubuntu ( Hardy Heron, I forget which FF version, 2.<something> ) rendering is screwy ( it's wrapping some things which exceed screen width ), right click brings up the component pop-up but also the standard FF navigation pop-up over the top of that. Double left-click does bring up the correct pop-up. Some of the orientation thumbnails are missing, probably to do with case sensitive filenames is my guess if they are not the known missing ones.

jc173

Call me silly but, how do you get power to the components?

BTW, good job....I wish I was as good at JS as you :)

westaust55

Call me silly but, how do you get power to the components?

BTW, good job....I wish I was as good at JS as you :)
short term, the solution is to use the Note Tabs (bottom of menu) to label the top and bottom power rails.

I am working towards incorporating a battery as a component that can for instance be place at the bottom and connected ionto the board. Icons for batteries and switches are under way. Getting the graphics ready then into some more coding. . . . . .

The original JS was by Ray Wilson who was primarily interested in analogue circuits. Slowly but surely, I am extending the components, menus and other features for the PICAXE/digital community. It is only 2 weeks into this PICAE variant.

jc173

short term, the solution is to use the Note Tabs (bottom of menu) to label the top and bottom power rails.

I am working towards incorporating a battery as a component that can for instance be place at the bottom and connected ionto the board. Icons for batteries and switches are under way. Getting the graphics ready then into some more coding. . . . . .

The original JS was by Ray Wilson who was primarily interested in analogue circuits. Slowly but surely, I am extending the components, menus and other features for the PICAXE/digital community. It is only 2 weeks into this PICAE variant.
So where are the rails? :confused:

manuka

IMNSHO this is the very reason why breadboard supply rails justify red/black colouring. If an experienced technologist fails to see this, imagine how confusing it must be for youngsters still at the blind ignorance stage. I well recall idly stripping the insulation off a wire while chatting to some "Play Station savy" 11-12 yo.s- NOT ONE KID HAD REALISED RAW COPPER WAS BENEATH THE INSULATION! Yes-never mind the high tech- they then all wanted stranded copper samples.

But back at the BB - as stated endlessly, many newbies usually just consider them a sea of random holes. Layout patterns & links,dead obvious to old hands, are often quite invisible. Of course the bare bones LED "throwie" skeleton is almost the other extreme!

A viewer parallel may well be vegetation-at first glance it's all just green, but experience (or winter) strips away the foliage & allows the likes of oaks,beans & clover to be recognised.

FWIW- the so called "Kiwi Patch Board" (designed by here in NZ by Andrew Hornblow) eases such concept pain-see below. (Andrew is also a Li coin cell fan, with layouts of his resulting 08M circuits most user friendly.) These boards include extra "parking" rails, & even "gutter" tracks below the IC. Following a bit of Trans-Tasman promotion, for which I share minor credit,these Kiwi Boards may soon be handled in Oz. by MicroZed (=> www.picaxe.com.au). It's possible assorted future SiChip PICAXE projects may be based around them.

WestAust55: Lovely switches! How about a 2 or 3 x AA switched battery box?
Hippy: This is akin to my initial problems (XP)- are you sure directories are set up properly?
Stan

Attachments

Last edited:

manuka

Extra KPB pix- several revisions have already arisen. Boards, which typically sell at ~US$3, accept a PICAXE programming socket & 7805. Serious soldered " show the client" prototyped circuits have been reported.

Disclaimer- I'm not financially involved with these boards, but (as an educator) certainly recognise their potential.

Attachments

Last edited:

PerthEng

Great effort Westy.
No problems installing and running here on Windows XP and IE7.
Those components all look darned good.

manuka

Warming to this WYSIWYG track theme, herewith a hacked PEBBLE generated layout with them visibly grouped + double gutter rails & RHS parked components. Comments?

Attachments

westaust55

Warming to this WYSIWYG track theme, herewith a hacked PEBBLE generated layout with them visibly grouped + double gutter rails & RHS parked components. Comments?
We can always have the "Kiwi Patch" variant of the breadboard as a background as well with the clusters of 5 holes encircled and two rows down the middle. Just a case of a background gif file and the neccessary maths for the hole positions.

westaust55

Looks good Stan. :)

Been working on the code for switches today for a while. A bit of tweaking to do but certianly getting there for pushbutton, SPST and SPDT toggles with some wire colour options for each.

Place a couple of wires then drop the switch on the end of the wires in the name of the game :D

Attachments

slurp

I think this is a fab tool for visualisation, excellent work!

Breadboard space is often the issue for me and I wondered if an offset wire is possible (picture below) for squeezing in components. Based on size I only really use the AD-100 Breadboard ( http://images.maplin.co.uk/full/ag08j.jpg ).

I know I could work around this but I could be useful feature.

Best regards,
Colin

Attachments

SilentScreamer

Perhaps that could be implemented with a option on the right click menu (level 1, level 2)? I expect auto detecting would be difficult if not impossible.