PE6 Terminal, control character behaviour ?

Buzby

Rich (BB code):
#picaxe 28X2

sertxd("123456789",cr,lf)
sertxd("123456789")
sertxd(8,8,8,8,8,"-")
produces ...

1234-789

I would have expected the result to be '1234-6789'

What am I doing wrong ?

PE6 control codes.PNG

Buzby

It would be really cool if the terminal could utilise control characters better. This is what I expected when I read this line on page 16 of the PE6 document : "Control characters can be optionally used to navigate about the receive box".

I was expecting something that would let me move the cursor up as well as back, or even some VT100 emulation.

I have in the past used a 3rd party terminal to get the type of control needed, but that only worked with a real chip, and meant lots of cable swapping and switching windows.

Could it be possible to have an option in Settings that let the user select an alternative terminal program for PE6 simulation ?.

The PE6 Terminal is the most useful interface to the Simulator, it would be so much more useful if it could act as a 'screen', not just a 'lineprinter'.

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby

I would guess it's some kind of bug or unanticipated interaction with the text display widget. It's something we would have to investigate.
Hi hippy,

Is there any confirmation that this is being investigated ?. I could really do with it working.

Cheers,

Buzby

hippy

s there any confirmation that this is being investigated ?. I could really do with it working.
No and I wouldn't hold your breath; creating a VT100 emulator or similar, or even simpler, is something of an undertaking.

Buzby

A VT100 emulator is not what I was asking about. I was asking if the stuff already in PE6 is being investigated.

The dropdown in terminal settings has the backspace ( $08 )tickbox, but the result is not as expected.

I don't expect Rev-Ed to wtite a VT100 emulator at all. My suggestion is to allow PE6 to use a 3rd party terminal as an alternative to the built-in version. Interfacing to a 3rd party terminal window ( maybe even something from whatever library of stuff PE6 is built with ) will be much easier than any roll-your-own solution. One of the reasons we were told for developing PE6 was to simplify adding new functionality.

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby

Are Rev-Ed looking into this backspace bug ?

The manual says backspace should work, but it doesn't.