PE6 = no comm port found

kenmac

Hi folks,
I recently decided to upgrade to PE6 editor on a modern laptop (Lenovo, Windows 10).
I downloaded/installed PE 6.0.8.11 and also AXE027 drivers.
I plugged in the AXE027 cable and confirmed that it was recognised by Device Manager.
Then I opened the Editor and noticed that it said "No Comm port available"
I clicked the "Refresh Comm port", but nothing changed.

The AXE027 cable is connected and recognised and there is one spare port, so why doesn't the editor see it?
I checked the properties of the AXE027 in Device Manager but it says there are no drivers installed!
I did a quick check in the Driver Store and confirmed the required files are actually there.
What is going on??

kenmac

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I checked the properties of the AXE027 in Device Manager but it says there are no drivers installed!
You aren't going to have any COM Port found by PE6 until Device Manager accepts drivers have been installed.

The usual way to overcome any Windows confusion as to what's installed is to manually update the drivers, load the ones from the www.picaxe.com site or included with PE6. The thing to remember is it's a two step installation; the drivers must be installed for two separate 'AXE027 PICAXE USB' devices.

kenmac

Hippy
That's confusing!
Why install for two devices?
Does this mean you use the install file twice?
I tried both methods of installing drivers and as far as I can determine, the files are now in the Driver Store area of Win10.

kenmac

kenmac

I went into Device manager and found the AXE027 on the list.
Then in Properties, I selected Update driver.
I was able to point the search to the folder where I found the installed driver files, but it still didn't react .
The AXE027 listing still says there is no driver available!
Maybe this is a Win10 problem?

kenmac

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Why install for two devices?
The first is to provide the USB interface. The second is to turn that into a COM port.

Does this mean you use the install file twice?
Correct.

I tried both methods of installing drivers and as far as I can determine, the files are now in the Driver Store area of Win10
Not sure what you mean by "both methods".

I was able to point the search to the folder where I found the installed driver files, but it still didn't react .
If you are pointing the the Windows 10 Driver Store then those are not the files you need to be pointing Device Manager at.

Maybe this is a Win10 problem?
Possibly but I would suspect not. The AXE027 drivers install and work on Windows 10 and most people don't run into the sort of problem you are describing.

It is more likely, in my opinon, to be the way you are doing things, where you are installing from, which is the issue rather than a Windows 10 issue.

kenmac

The two methods I refer to was the two optional methods available.
One was the direct installation file and the other was the Zip file list - I downloaded both.
I shall have another go at this maybe tomorrow.
I'll study the instructions again to see if I missed something.

kenmac

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
One was the direct installation file and the other was the Zip file list
Right; understand.

While the pre-installer sets things up for Windows to use when the cable is plugged in, that can sometimes fail, particularly if the cable has been plugged in before running the pre-installer.

Once at the stage of "drivers not installed" the solution is to manually install from
the downloaded and extracted .zip file or the driver directory created when PE6 is installed.

kenmac

Success!
I did a driver update using the Zip file and it was successful.
The PE6 is now displaying the Comms port in use.
I must have stuffed up the original install somehow, but at least it was fixable.
Thanks for your advice Hippy, now I can proceed with this Editor.

kenmac

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Excellent news and thanks for letting us know.

Part of the problem is that Windows knows the cable is an AXE027 and describes it as such even though it's decided it's an "unknown device" and that doesn't change until drivers are installed. Unfortunately we cannot alter that behaviour.