PE6.1.0.0 #Slot 4 on 20X2 still not working.

Buzby

I'm working again on my project which requires Slot 4 on a 20X2.

PE6 was being a bit too much of a nanny, and told me there was only Slot 0 on a 20X2.

The latest PE revision notes say this issue is fixed, but maybe only in a beta version of the compiler.

Do I need to install this beta version ?

If so, where is it ?

Cheers,

Buzby

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If you have installed the latest PE6 (6.1.0.0) the updated compilers should have been installed with it but are not enabled by default. To use the updated compiler; first, locate where PE6 is installed, usually -

C:\Program Files (x86)\ Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor

Within that should be two directories "compilers" and "compilers-beta". Within "compilers" rename "picaxe20x2.exe" as "picaxe20x2-original.exe" or similar. Now copy and paste the "picaxe20x2.exe" from "compilers-beta" into "compilers".

You should then be able to use "#SLOT 4" on the 20x2.

PhilHornby

So what's the story with #Slot 1, #Slot 2 and #Slot 3 ?

Or are we saying the 20X2 now supports Slots #0 and #4 ? (A quick test with the new compiler seems to suggest that)

I'm confused :confused:

(Confused myself so much I had to come back and edit this :) ... twice thrice)

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The 28X2 and 40X2 support four internal slots 0 through 3, support external slots 4 upwards.

The 20x2 has only one internal slot 0, no slot 1, 2 or 3, but does support external slots 4 upwards.

The default PE6 compiler for the 20X2 effectively checks "if slot number <> 0 then error" rather than the new which checks "if ( slot number <> 0 ) and ( slot number < 4 ) then error". That was preventing slot 4 and upwards from being specified.

PhilHornby

Oh that's a shame - I was hoping the 20X2 had had the 14M2/18M2+/20M2 treatment - where they magically acquired twice the program space overnight...