PE5 No Sound

erco

A student is running PE5 on his computer. It works fine, but there is no sound from PE5 when verifying or downloading. Other sounds on the computer work fine. Is there a volume control or toggle somewhere in PE5?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I am not sure if there should be sounds from PE5. The pop-ups don't look like system message boxes to me so I wouldn't expect them to make system sounds. But I might be wrong.

erco

There are system sounds in every computer except this one. Looked at sound manager, settings are all set to default.

<scratches head>

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
There are system sounds in every computer except this one. Looked at sound manager, settings are all set to default.
Yes, but whether PE5 putting up its pop-ups triggers those system sounds is the issue. It doesn't on my PC.

What I am thinking is your student may be expecting those sounds but they were never ever produced in the first place. Evidence of absence is not evidence of their having previously been present.

rq3

A student is running PE5 on his computer. It works fine, but there is no sound from PE5 when verifying or downloading. Other sounds on the computer work fine. Is there a volume control or toggle somewhere in PE5?
You piqued my curiosity, so I booted PE 5.5.6 on my antique Dell laptop running Windows XP (my standard development platform). I then programmed a 20M2 Picaxe with two different files. There were indeed system sounds, which I never noticed before (probably because I usually have the sound turned off).

If I forced a program failure I got the usual basso "Mwa" sound from Windows. A successful download yielded the usual two note "tee-too" from Windows.

I couldn't find a way to enable or disable these sounds within PE 5, but I confess I didn't look very hard. I could, of course, turn off the sounds using the Dell laptop soft keys (Fn-End), but that's a computer specific command, and nothing to do with PE 5.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
PE 5.5.5 on my Dell desktop with Windows 10 does make the sounds (same as rq3)
Thanks for checking, and rq3.

I guess it does depend on how one has Wndows set-up. I disable the Okay sounds and a few others but leave the Failed sounds on, I get the Failed sound from PE6 but not PE5.

No idea why that is. There don't seem to to be any settings within PE5 or PE6 to control sounds, except for 'beep on simulated SOUND' etc. It would be left to the user to enable or disable system sounds, to turn turn their speakers on or off.

If it works on some PC's but not on others it's most likely comes down to a PC configuration issue than a PE issue, though I have no idea what.