PE for Linux?

krypton_john

Hi - I asked if there was an update on this in the PE forum but no answer.

Could Technical or anyone else let us know the status of this project?

Cheers
JohnO

Wrenow

John,

If you will check th Program Editor area, you will find a lively current thread. The upshoot, as I read it, from Technical is that they have ordered an Asus eeePC 900 to complete the testing, and it will be released as soon as tested and proven (assuming, of course, everything works like it is supposed to, etc.). So, shortly? Next month or so? Regardless seems pretty eminent.

How re you liking yours so far (you actually have one of these little jewels, right)? Any major cheers or jeers, praises or pans?

Cheers,

Wreno

marcos.placona

John,

If you will check th Program Editor area, you will find a lively current thread. The upshoot, as I read it, from Technical is that they have ordered an Asus eeePC 900 to complete the testing, and it will be released as soon as tested and proven (assuming, of course, everything works like it is supposed to, etc.). So, shortly? Next month or so? Regardless seems pretty eminent.

How re you liking yours so far (you actually have one of these little jewels, right)? Any major cheers or jeers, praises or pans?

Cheers,

Wreno
I guess this is what the most of us want to know.

I'm also waiting for the linux version.

krypton_john

Hi Wrenow.

I bought my Eee because I was going to be working overseas for a few months and I wanted a small portable device with speakers, webcam and microphone so I could video-skype my family wherever I went. However I subsequently found it invaluable for email and web access, as it has Wifi and everywhere I went had either Wifi or wired ethernet available. I could not live without this little gem when I am away from home.

What I don't like about it is the little keyboard, the small screen and the short battery life (~3 hours) and it gets a little hot when used on your lap for a period of time. There is supposed to be a high capacity battery available but I have not checked on that recently. I don't use it on my lap for long periods so I can live with the screen and keyboard.

It does not have bluetooth so I bought a tiny BT adapter that barely protudes from the case. However setting up BT was more awkward than it is on WinXP.

I wish there was better support under Linux for streep mapping, voice guided GPS navigation etc.

I wish there was Pixaxe PE for Linux.

If I pulled finger and installed WinXP then this thing would be almost perfect!

As the new model is almost here I would hold off purchasing one until that comes out. The bigger screen will be a godsend.

Cheers,
JohnO