PE 6.1.0.0 Auto Backup not working

dgc188

I've tried posting this question on the main active PICAXE section of the forum but, regrettably, I'm not getting very far towards a solution to the fact that the AutoBackup doesn't work between one PE session and the next; not for me (or another user it seems).

I'm running the latest Windows Pro version including all updates with PE6 running in compatibility mode for Windows8.

I've checked the settings file (xml) and all looks good. The settings file is being read by PE and settings are being actioned across sessions - such as a change of colour for changed listing lines.

I'm not sure whether there are any do's or dont's with regard to pathname or locations (including "space" characters) or pathname length or removable drives - I've tried most combinations from the very simple pathname off the root of D:drive (hard disk partition) and/or off the root of C:drive to rather long pathnames with spaces included. Nothing seems to work from one session to another; no auto backups to any location not even the working folder.

Once the Option window is opened and the backup settings are checked and OK'd the auto backup works fine - till the end of the session, then it fails next time around.

Has anyone got any ideas as to where I'm going wrong or how to fix it so that it works every session?

Thanks in advance.
Dave