PCB Scope missing Position/Level control

dennis

My DPScope SE scope was working perfectly until recently when all 3 (CH1,Ch2,Trig) the position /level adjustment sliders disappeared.
I have tried several reboots, uninstalling and installing the software from RevEd and also tried the software on the DPScope site but all to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas ? My PC is a Lenovo running windows 10 .
1620653473214.png

AllyCat

Hi,

Very strange and it may need "Womai" (Wolfgang) for a definitive answer.

However, have you tried switching the "Mode" to Logic Analyzer and then back to Oscilloscope ?

It might be that the "Setup" file has become corrupted. Have you ever saved one that you can reload? I must admit that I've never done that before, but here is mine now. I've added a .TXT extension to make it readable (e.g. in Notepad), so just strip that off and try loading it.

Cheers, Alan.

Attachments

dennis

Thanks for the file. It does switch between the oscilloscope, Datalogger and Logic Analyzer modes but still has the missing sliders. When I tried loading your TestSetup.dps file I got a windows pop up "cannot load set up file" as the grey heading and" Problem encountered at or after setting TriggerFrame! " across the box.
I tried downloading a testsetup from the menu on the scope software and was able to do that and successfully load it up again without error. In comparing the file you sent me with the one I downloaded it looks like the first part of my file is missing !

I think (well hope anyway!) the issue must be software, rather than the scope itself because if I remove the scope uninstall and reinstall the software and start it up without scope present then the sliders are still missing. Perhaps somehow the uninstall process is leaving something behind.

Shall I try installing on my wifes pc as a test or is it best to try something else first ? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

AllyCat

Hi,

Yes, I suspect it's a "software" problem, perhaps a corrupted file or maybe the registry (which is risky to edit). So a completely fresh install on a "new" PC should help to confirm that. Also, are the coloured level markers on the left of the PCBScope "screen" visible; and if so can they be moved by clicking on the "slider bars", even though the "buttons" are missing?

Your setup file seems remarkably different to mine, is it from the PICaxe Store "PCB Scope" or the original "DPScope-SE" (as is mine)? But this is very much guessing in the dark. I suggest you send a Personal Message (envelope at top-right of this screen) to forum member @womai (who designed the DPScope) asking him to look at this thread.

Cheers, Alan.

womai

Sounds like you are loading a setup file? Could this be corrupted? Actually this is the very first time I hear about such an issue in the ~10 years this scope is out in the public. Trying on a different computer is definitely worth a shot.

Not that I moved my website a while ago, so the original links in the documentation are no longer valid. You can find documentation and downloads here:

Regards,

Wolfgang

dennis

Well it works perfectly on my wifes laptop so good to know there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I dont know what to try next as repeatedly installing and uninstalling the software doesnt fix the problem. Presumably its some sort of weird Windows 10 issue. Its very strange that just the level/position adjustment sliders are missing !

dennis

I cant see anything wrong on device manager so am wondering if there is anything else I should try before I give up ?

AllyCat

Hi,

Certainly also delete the Install file and download it again, but I suspect that "something" is not being UNinstalled, perhaps because it's a "shared" resource. I believe the DPScope installation procedure may add some "functionality" that is not dedicated just to the 'scope? So, apart from a "clean install" or Editing the Registry (neither of which I would recommend), I have nothing more to offer. But did you try my suggestion which might indicate if it's just an "Icon" (widget?) that's been corrupted or some deeper code problem ? :
... are the coloured level markers on the left of the PCBScope "screen" visible; and if so can they be moved by clicking on the "slider bars", even though the "button/sliders" are missing?
Sadly this reminds me of a recent post #10 by Erco which perhaps holds the forum record for the largest number of "Likes". ;)

Cheers, Alan.

dennis

Hi Alan,
Sorry I should have mentioned that all the cursors on the scope screen seemed to work. The issue was just the offset adjustment for both channels and the trigger. Each reset level button had a cross on it and the sliders and up down arrow buttons were missing.

Anyway some good news - when I shut down the pc last night I noticed a windows update was going to take place before it shut down. This morning on rebooting the sliders are back and the scope works normally. As the scope had been working perfectly for quite a while I strongly suspect that the problem was cause by a previous windows update .

I have been very pleased with the scope and amazed at all the features. The logic analyser is a great tool.

For beginners like me there is a wealth of info on Womais site including adding an AC input feature which I will do.

Thanks to you and Womai for helping with this.

Kind Regards
Dennis

AllyCat

Hi,

Thanks for the update and it's good that you have the PCB/DPScope working completely again. Since our "Setup" (.dps) files looked so different, perhaps it might be worth keeping a few "spare" versions (for 'Scope , LA modes, etc.) on file in case it can help in the future.

I don't know where you're located, but as you've commented on the usefulness of the Logic Analyzer mode, I'll just draw your attention to an "Off Topic" section of a recent thread that I posted in italics HERE. Not just less than £10 but less than £5 ! However, I still haven't found anybody who knows if the "CLK" pin is usable in any way (if it exists) ;)

Cheers, Alan.

dennis

Hi Alan,
I am located in the UK in Kent. Thanks for the tip I will make a few set up files and keep them safe. That logic analyzer you referenced is several levels above my ability to comprehend though, plus I dont want to plug anything new into my pc for a while !
The Womai implementation is excellent for my needs which are all low frequency. I can see the status of both ends of each coil being driven by an H drive chip and its fascinating to try different effects and delays. I have also started looking at a capacitor charging through a resistor with the scope and thats interesting to compare with expected results.

Next job is to test out a bigger stepper and purchased controller for a powered leadscrew project for my lathe. Looks like being a project with a lot of learning.

Kind Regards
Dennis