PCB Headers

ZOR

Sorry not directly a Picaxe question.

I am finding a lot of 0.1mm PCB female headers (soldered pins) being floppy when pushed on the male part (pins)

However, the ones fitted on the ends of servos and fans, being crimped pins and much firmer. Does anyone know of a cheap crimping tool in the UK or on ebay that can be used to assemble these better headers. Many thanks

srnet

I am finding a lot of 0.1mm PCB female headers (soldered pins) being floppy when pushed on the male part (pins)
I would expect pin headers as thin as 0.1mm to be very floppy, not a lot you can do about it really at that small size.

inglewoodpete

Perhaps you could post a photo of the offending parts, including one how they (don't) mate together.

I use locally supplied Oupiin brand 0.1" connectors like these, crimped with this tool and have a very low crimp failure rate (<2%). I have found that stepper motors seem to use a different locking mechanism.

They are something that I would not buy off ebay unless I knew the supplier and product. In modern electronics the weakest link is likely to be the connectors.

nekomatic

I'm not sure if you're after female connectors that solder on a PCB, or female connectors that go on the end of a wire and mate with a male connector that's soldered on the PCB. If it's the latter, you can get hand tools for crimping the Molex KK style terminals at a reasonable price - something like this for example.

ZOR

Many thanks both, appologies for delay getting back.

Yes those connectors look good, it's the female ones I was looking for.CONNECTOR.jpg

And the link for the crimp tool is a good price. The connectors are normally found on small cooling fans and servo's. Thanks again