Panic! Help needed for printed pcb- CHI035

navid

Hi. This is a rather selfish post and I apologise for that but im in bit of a rush to get coursework done. Im currently using the PICAXE-18 High Power Project Board CHI035 to drive a no. of motors to perfom various tasks. I cant use this project board in my project (I must make my own PCB)

The datasheet of the project board states that the PCB WIZARD artwork file can be downloaded from the www.picaxe.com so I clicked on the PCB ARTWORK link and found only datasheets. These are not much use to me unless I copy them out on Pcb Wizard, but I simply dont have time to do this n(the deadline being soon) as I have ALOT of code to write and the rest of the project to finish off.

So I was wondering, does anybody have (or know were I can get) a PCB wizard file of the PICAXE-18 High Power Project Board CHI035 which I can edit, print off and make a circuit board out of.
If so it would be MUCH appreciated. I will supply email address if necessary.

Thanks in advance

Edited by - navid on 5/4/2005 5:37:52 PM

Edited by - navid on 5/4/2005 5:39:00 PM

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Copying some ones elses PCB is effectively the same as using a pre-bought one within the exam board requirements... you should be laying out your own pcb for the extra marks.

It is unlikely that you can make the board exactly the same as CHI035 as it is a double sided plated through board.

You could design a board with similar functions, but you will have to do this yourself. Some ideas and examples are on the PCB page (available from the list on the home page).

navid

Thanks Tech. I didnt plan on copying it though and was aware of the double track.

The testing and troubleshooting of my own designed board was my real worry and it would have been one less worry having a working design. So if it didnt work I would know that it wasnt a design related issue.

Ive been told im like electrical current, taking the path of least resistance.

manuka

Ah-It's maybe not your VOLT. WATT about you taking CHARGE to bring this JOULE of a project OHM?

First -duh-is your setup actually working? Suggest a solderless protoboard version of course while taming. See a barebones 08 approach ( not mine) => www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/andrew08.jpg

Down under here in Oz/NZ we REALLY stress such efficient breadboard approaches initially, & firmly insist PCB soldering should be the VERY last thing to do.

2. When is the deadline?

3. How is marking scheme organised? You may get higher marks for clever software that WORKS,rather than attending to a PCB for a half baked "no go" presentation. I've seen my own students waste ages etching & drilling etc only to find their PCB design was flawed & circuitry unsuitable. It's akin to producing a glossy magazine that's full of mistakes.

Given the nature of your task I'd recommend taming ALL hardware & software FIRST.I mean REALLY taming it - bullet proof! Understand it !

If pushed,then deadline solderups can even be done onto predrilled "vero" style board etc. Most electronic outlets stock a range of these,with a protoboard style version particularly suitable for "paint by number" working prototype soldering.

Aside from PCB Wizard have you tried other packages such as "Real PCB" ? Stan

navid

ION have no idea WATT you are OSCILLATING about when you say 'Taming'.
'Bulletproof'?? I dont know about you guys down under but we tend to fire nothing more than a few electrons through our circuits.... well... if its working properly.

My current set up is actually working great(The high power picaxe board) but examination boards require a PCB so ill be staying well away from the 'fuzzy ball of wires' (breadboard) approach which I dont like.

The examiner only see's photographs and a 30+ sheet design portfolio but the projects are marked initially by teachers honestly and fairly.
If it is not working 100%, we have to say why and how to improve it, there are marks for this.

The deadline is closing in a few days and I dont have time to play around with any more software so I will sticking to my PCB Wizard in the mean time.

I just ordered a few more sets of picaxe chips and various other IC's as i can expect plenty of smoke and explosions coming from my circuit board as I make careless mistakes time after time after time.

Even if my circuit was bulletproof its not quite me-proof. Components tend to combust sporadically when I touch them.

Anywho, I think ill use the circuit diagram from the PICAXE-18 High Power Project Board CHI035 datasheet to make my circuit.

Btw, Im making an automatic diluter for microbiological samples.

Edited by - navid on 5/5/2005 5:02:00 PM

Rickharris

Stop looking for an easy way and start burning the late night oil. The coursework has to be at the examiners on May 15th!!

At this late stage I would get into PCB wiz and get on with it. Fingers crossed.

BTW everything takes 4 times as long to make as you think it will!.

manuka

Phew -given your "bugs" topic I'd especially be more interested (as a marker) in it WORKING FLAWLESSLY than final hardware presentation. It could otherwise end up looking like a sexy car but with - mmm yes - a shot engine = all show & no go.

I'm not unique on this approach folks, since such engineering classics as the Harrier VTOL jet began life (1953!)as virtually a flying bedstead, & it was years before the final plane(1969?) emerged. See =>http://www.makingthemodernworld.org.uk/icons_of_invention/technology/1939-1968/IC.063/

My slant has developed over decades of exposure to student projects which LOOK like a million dollars BUT are fatally flawed under the covers. The most memorable I recall was a farming "electric fence" cooker. This involved clipping leads to a 5kV fence to cook ones meals while out on the farm. Mmm-let's see. A ~5 Joule pulse every 5 secs = ~1W heating input = about 1000th of what the student reckoned on, so it'd take ~a day to even heat a well insulated coffee cup!

He'd spent MONTHS on the concept/models/ergonomics/packaging/marketing BEFORE this emerged...
Stan

Edited by - Stan. Swan on 5/6/2005 2:27:16 AM

navid

This is from CCEA spec. sheet. http://www.rewardinglearning.com/development/qualifications/gce/docs/specs/a4tda2s.pdf

Unit 5

MANUFACTURE (75 marks)[OUT OF 90 for all of unit 5]
High
• Product or system manufactured using a broad range of processes and skills
at a high level.
• Fully functional product or system manufactured demonstrating a high
degree of quality.
• An accurate and detailed record of modifications made during manufacture.
• Finish is entirely appropriate to the needs of the intended user.

Us A-level 'ers have to find a happy medium between the funtioning of the final product, the build quality & aesthetic/ergonomic qualities all within the given time.

Stan- As a marker, have you ever seen a flawlessly working A -level project? (or australian equiv.)

Edited by - navid on 5/6/2005 8:58:44 PM

manuka

Mock splutter of indignation ! I'm a Kiwi (NZ),so any Australian projects will naturally be considered inferior (especially when they beat us at cricket!).

Any engineering work can fall over - UK Beagle 2 Martian space probe(!),Space Shuttle, 1930s airships, Titanic etc - but I have to say microcontroller projects marked in recent years have shown a far higher "bullet proofness" than previous discrete/IC based designs - this is a significant reason why I'm so enthusiastic about Picaxes!

Possible reasons for the Beagle 2 failure (~50 million quid) make interesting reading,as it's now thought the basic design was fatally flawed. See =>http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/uk/4233799.stm

Back in the good old days, sophisticated first year student 40 hour power supply projects made here were (eventually) highly reliable.Many students were weak in electronics too, since secondary school programs then did not exist. Being mains operated I wouldn't let them go out the door unless finished to a VERY high safety standard as well. Many PSUs still work as designed - I've a 20 year old "sub standard" one right in front of me charging a cell phone. The 1985 student designer (now ~in their late 30s?!) has probably gone on to rocket science fields - (mmm hopefully not in UK!) Stan

Edited by - Stan. Swan on 5/7/2005 10:37:50 PM