Output to Input

Mark.R

Hi all, I've tried to do a search on here before asking, but you can imagine what the results are when you search "output to input" you end up with every Thread ever written.

What I would like to know is can I come out of the output of one picaxe straight into the input of another to read a simple on/off signal?

KeithRB

Sure, when set as an input it is very high impedance. For production you might want to put a 100 ohm or so series resistor in case of startup glitches.

Mark.R

Thanks for the fast reply. I was hoping it would be relatively straight forward, but wasn't sure whether a pull up/down resister would be needed?
I was thinking along the same lines of series resistor to attempt to limit the current should something not be right, be a shame to kill one of these wonderful little devils!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
wasn't sure whether a pull up/down resister would be needed?
That depends; if something adverse or undesirable could or would happen if the input were left floating then a pull-up/pull-down would be recommended.

'Left floating' would also include when the sending PICAXE has not initialised it's output before the input is read and also times when a new program were being downloaded into the sending PICAXE while the inputting PICAXE were still running.