OT Drawing software

Taniwha

Hi all,
I am hoping someone can point me towards some shareware/freeware drawing software, I want to design the layout for my Picaxe simulator, so i can chosse the enclosure and start adding components.

Thanks
Stewart

westaust55

DIPTRACE is available in a free version with the only limitation being on the number of pins/"holes" in a drawings file (which is now 300 pins/holes).
http://www.diptrace.com/
Many here use that software and we have some libraries of PICAXE relate components (in the Finished Projects area if you do a search ;) ).

Others use EAGLECAD but I have not info on that. Try a search of this forum and a google search to see what free versione xists.

SAborn

If you are a beginner to doing pcb artwork than i think PCBExpress is the easiest software to use and its free to download.

Diptrace is good once you get your drivers licence sussed on how to run it, but has many built in constraints that makes it difficult to manage in a free hand circuit design.

Should you be doing artwork to send to a pcb manurfacturer than check what they will except first, as normally they wont except many styles of software designs.

John West

I use Tiny Cad. Imperfect - but it works for me. And it's free. And the drawing files can be fed into FreePCB schematics.

Taniwha

Thanks everyone

Actually I am looking for a cad type software to design the top of my enclosure, I.e physical layout of the various switches, lcd display, terminals etc. But the sites suggested are great, I will need to do a schematic too at some stage (currently I am using Yenka to get an understanding of the various components.)
Stewart

Chavaquiah

Actually I am looking for a cad type software to design the top of my enclosure, I.e physical layout of the various switches, lcd display, terminals etc.
Target 3001 allows you to design both schematics/PCB layouts (with autorouters) and corresponding panels. The front panel can be designed based on the actual circuit.

The free version has, like many other, a limit of 250 pins. An unlimited but still free version can be obtained from PCB-Pool, although this version's output is PCB-Pool specific.

I tried Target 3001 and must say that the program is very comprehensive but not very stable. Plus the English translation is somewhat lacking. Still, considering it has an integrated panel design module, you may want to give it a try.

MFB

I have found the free schematic and PCB layout package available from www.expresspcb.com to be very easy to use and their charge for producing boards very reasonable. However, its interesting that SparkFun have standardized on the Eagle software and offer pad layouts for many of their components.

Taniwha

Thanks for the responses

I have downloaded a couple to try, the ExpressPCB is basic, which suits me fine. I have started drawing up the Simulator and learning as I go.

I also downloaded Google Sketchup but havn't done much with it yet.
So thanks again for the advice and help.

Stewart