OT: Bluetooth audio transmitter needed, Googling gives confusing results.

Buzby

Hello All,

Can anyone suggest a board that accepts an audio input, then transmits to a standard Bluetooth speaker or headphones ?.

I want to add this facility to an existing, somewhat vintage, record deck.

Google, eB*Y, and Am***n all give hundreds of confusing results. Many say transmitter in the headings, but the descriptions fail to convince me.

Also, there are plenty of devices to add BT transmission from a 3.5mm or RCA source, but I want a board level device to integrate inside the deck.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers,

Buzby

premelec

There are a bunch listed on Eby that would work IF you can deal with 3.5mm plug audio input to the TX... search 3.5mm... i don't see any stand alone circuit board types - perhaps try Sparkfun or Adafruit - or just tear up one of the 3.5mm plug units and see where it gets it's power... make the connections...

Buzby

@premelec : The 3.5mm plug / 5v micro USB are not problems, but most of these devices seem to need a button push to pair. I want instant on.

@Pongo : Now that looks interesting !. The tx/rx selection is selected by a jumper, not a push button.

@inglewoodpete : One circuit diagram shown in the images seems show that the tx version has a push button, and the other diagram is a receiver. Googling BK8000L shows mostly rx options, with scant info on how to use as tx.

I'm going to try the one Pongo suggested.

I shall report my findings as soon as Chinese post will let me.

Thanks,

Buzby

AllyCat

Hi,

I'd be concerned about a seller with a feedback of only "6" but I suppose everybody must start somewhere. More concerned that the linked device appears to have a micro SD card reader and is described as a "MP3 player" ?

I'd suggest one of the modules that looks like a standard USB plug (to receive power) and has a 3.5 mm socket at the other end (and no push-button). One I saw appeared to switch between transmit and receive by power cycling (with rather confusing Chinglish instructions) which you might be able to implement automatically. But this version is said to be transmit-only and can run from just a "powerbank". Perhaps look for an equivalent on ebay.co.uk with UK stock?

Cheers, Alan

Buzby

Hi Alan,

The seller with feedback of '6' seems not to be accepting payments, at least that's what eBay shows when I click 'buy'.

Found an identical one from another seller, just waiting for it to arrive. From what I gathered, an SD card will play if fitted, but does nothing if not.

That USB version you linked to also looks promising, so I've ordered one of those also. Listing said it was in UK, but I'm not sure I believe that.

I found lots of hints to using the BK8000L, but I don't want to faff around rolling my own, just want to buy something that works straight out of the box.

There are now enough bits winging their way to me from China. I'm going back to enjoying my Cribmo Limbo.

Cheers,

Buzby

AllyCat

Hi,
Listing said it was in UK, but I'm not sure I believe that.
Yes I think that's a half-truth. What seems quite common now is for Chinese sellers to bulk-ship (airmail) pre-packed and addressed goods in from China to a depot in UK where they are individually forwarded via (e.g.) Royal Mail. There are UK companies which offer this as a service; quite a good compromise between delivery time and price.

The main clue is the predicted delivery date which will probably be around 10 days away (as in Jim's link). "Genuine" UK stock should be 2 - 5 days and "economy" China post 2 - 5 weeks. Often now, if I want genuine UK stock, I look for the "Click and collect" option (via Argos), even if I don't plan to actually use it.. ;)

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

Pongo

Hi Alan,

The seller with feedback of '6' seems not to be accepting payments, at least that's what eBay shows when I click 'buy'.

Buzby
Sorry about that, I saw several similar listings and randomly selected that one. I'm never sure how, or even if, a listing on the .com site will show on the other country sites.

PhilHornby

I couldn't resist trying one of these - it just arrived.

Unfortunately, it appears to be the opposite of what it says it is. Rather than only transmitting audio (by Bluetooth), it can only receive it. :(

It will pair with my Huawei P9 and the phone's music can then be sent to my car's AUX input, or my Home AV receiver using the device. It will not pair with any other (non-phone) device I have tried (including a Bose bluetooth 'speaker', a cheapo Bluetooth speaker, a Bluetooth 'earbud' and two different motorcycle helmet headsets.)

This document (Page 4) describes the difference between an A2DP "Source" and an A2DP "Sink". I believe this device (which incidentally has a name of "X1", is a "Sink".

Last edited:

Buzby

I couldn't resist trying one of these - it just arrived.

Unfortunately, it appears to be the opposite of what it says it is. Rather than only transmitting audio (by Bluetooth), it can only receive it. :(
Mine arrived yesterday. Same problem, it's only a receiver.

This document (Page 4) describes the difference between an A2DP "Source" and an A2DP "Sink".
The picture below is both sides of the instruction sheet. It's still as clear as mud !.

BTUSB_3.png

Does your Bose 'speak' the ID of the dongle ?.

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby

But did you plue the Wireless Dongle into the USB sucket? You have to follow the instructions to the letter... o_O
Of course I did ! ( I always RTFM, don't we all ? )

And when I plued it into the sucket, the blue LED started flashing like Rudolph's nose, bright red.

( The instruction sheet also says it supports 'Senior andio stereo'. Well, I'm senior, but it still don't work. )

Buzby

Well, I used a USB power bank to drive the dongle, then connected the 3.5mm to the AUX in on my internet radio.

Now I can send audio from my phone to my radio.

Cool ... but totally not what I wanted to do. :(