Opperational temp range of 0M8 and 40X1?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
-40C to +85C

but most of the 'typical ratings' for the chip are given for 25C operation so it is necessary to check the datasheet to see how temperatures beyond 'normal room temperature' affect things. In particular the accuracy of the internal oscillator will be affected so a system may stop working even while the PICAXE is operating within its acceptable temperature specification.

Dippy

Temperature Range (Product ID):
blank = 0°C to +70°C (Commercial)
I = -40°C to +85°C (Industrial)
E = -40°C to +125°C (Extended)

Document page numbr 209 of your link WA :). I couldn't help my pedanticity, sorry.

But maybe hippy is describing the actual PIC type used for PICAXE? I haven't looked.

Note the important points hippy made in his post. Try to use crystals if using over a wide range.

But there is no substitute for reading the Microchip Data Sheets and checking the chip ident.

If you intend to use it in a cold environement beware (be aware?) of condensation issues.
And also check the temp range of the other components on your board. More Data Sheets to read, sorry.

If using in a hot environment the same applies but also have a care if using other devices that get hot even if using heatsinks. e.g. power transistors.
This may not apply in your current app. but remember it for the future.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
@ westaust55, Dippy : Thanks for the "Commercial range : 0C to +70C" info. I didn't see that in the two datasheets I looked in, but it's a sensible 'catch-all' range to assume applies. In fact, the internal oscillator is probably okay down to 0C looking at the diagrams.

BrendanP

I presume Rev Ed uses the standard commercial range part.

I wonder if they'll offer the 40X2 in the extended range package?

I'm familiar with the data sheets of the other parts I'm using. Most seem to have a commerical range part and then a extended or automotive version who's temp. range is similar to the figure quoted above.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I think most parts will be Industrial. It should be marked on the chip packaging, an "I" at the end or "IP". I doubt the extended versions will be provided as standard as they are usually more expensive. If you want to order enough of them, Rev-Ed are open to special deliveries.