OLED displat (axe133y) corrupt messages when starting up and sending serial data

jon_nic

hi,
I have just bought an axe133 OLEd 16x2 display and when i turn on it is supposed to say "serial OLED and www.Picaxe.com" as this is what is programmed in to the 18m2+ eeprom which came with the oled kit. however on power up it says "Sgpkcn ONGF and pifffk.coo" also when i try and send serial data at N2400_8 baud it also displays incorrect letters and symbols. i reprogrammed the 18m2+ chip with the AXe033 code from Picaxe.com but still same issue. since the eeprom data is not even displaying correctly on start up, could it be a faulty 18m2 chip?

anyone experienced similar issues?

regards Jon.

geoff07

Are you sending data to it immediately? If you neglect the pause before sending the first data bytes that can do funny things. Put a pause 500 at the start of your prog before the very first transmission to the display.

AllyCat

Hi,

Many of the faulty letters (I haven't checked all) are two above the correct one, e.g. LED becomes NGF. That strongly suggests that the Data 1 line is being held high. Either there is a "bridge" on a part of the D1 track to a supply rail, or perhaps there is a disconnection (e.g. missing solder joint or a broken track) allowing the line to float high.

Cheers, Alan.

jon_nic

Thanks everyone for their opinions. I checked continuity betweeen picaxe pins and the OLED pins and there was an open circuit due to poor connection on one pin, so after a resolder it now functions perfectly. Thanks again. Jon.