Off Topic - TNSTAAFL

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
With respect to the thread on off-Site backup, being wary of what's on offer, and wolves in sheep clothing, a cautionary tale to keep you amused ...

Having found an "80% off double glazing" voucher I took the plunge and invited the salesperson round fully aware of the high-pressure techniques likely to be used but thinking I might just get a bargain but not really expecting to.

After six hours, yes six hours, it transpired that the cost of fitting three small double glazed windows would be £45,000 / $90,000 without the voucher - Not that he simply multiplied up what it will cost by five because he swore blind that's not how it worked, and he phoned Head Office who confirmed that ;-)

Despite the entertainment value of getting him to explain how each one metre square, made from plastic, window was worth £15K each ( still £3K each after discount ) it wasn't particularly a pleasant experience, and I can really understand how people fall for the pressure and sign on the dotted line.

After this six hours I had a salesman genuinely crying with tears streaming down his cheeks to try and convince me to buy and I was working out the best way to get rid of him and wondering whether I'd need to call the police, thinking that at least in other countries they have the right to bear arms. You need nerves of steel not to crack.

Never again, not even as an experiment. And I decided I never want to get into the hard-sell business if that's what one has to do to make a living.

Dippy

Ooh nasty.

1. Did he say that they were in CheckaTrade or your local equivalent?
2. Did he say that these discounts were available as they "did a lot of commercial stuff and your order to could be added to keep the price down"?
3. Did he phone the office to negotiate with the Boss to reduce the price?
4. Did you offer to break his legs?
5. Did he express surprise that you didn't appreciate what a great offer this was and that you were missing out on a really good deal?

If the answer to any of the above is 'yes' then I reckon I had the same bloke round in June.
He got thrown out.

I had a similar experience with a salesman for electric garage doors a couple of years ago.
He asked me which colour scheme I preferred. And surprise, when he phone the office they had a 'special' on that colour.
And he offered to do the job cash and knock off the VAT, no invoice (...naughty, and no proof of purchase!).
And then he told me there was a 10 year gurantee - the firm went bust a year later.

So, I had the job done by the company who sent round this real babe to sell it to me.
They went bust recently.

And as I write this I just can't help thinking of Ebay vendors...

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Sounds like the same :)

I had thought, "so how bad can the pressure really be", and I guess I now know.

I didn't threaten to break legs but when it got so bad that he was crying and sobbing that he couldn't find any other job I seized the psychological advantage, grabbed the local newspapers and went through helping him look for a better job. He left when I said I could contact trading standards to complain about the unfair pressures they were putting on their staff.

The icing on the cake was when the company phoned a few days later; offer had expired but they could give me 10% off. As they were paying for the call we had a very long chat and much discussion of the merits of a £13K window over what B&Q sold for £125. How they kept a straight face I don't know.

Mycroft2152

Hippy,

Been there with a roofing / siding salesman. I ended up with six calls form his company after sayng no the first time.

Of course that was after I called the police and found he had not registered, a requirement for door to door salesmen in my community.

BTW, it's TANSTAAFL

There
Ain"t
No
Such
Thing
As
A
Free
Lunch

Myc