[OFF] LCD 8x2

marcos.placona

Hello guys, I've recently purchased an 8x2 LCD, and am having a hard time about how to actually connect it to a breadboard for example.

The 16x2 I have is straightforward as it has it's connections all inline. But the 8x2 has connections like this:

As you can see, it has two lines of connections, and if I for example solder a moles (pin headers) to it, I can't plug it to the breadboard because of the spacing.

I've seen a post from eclectic here where he actually managed to do that (on a 40x2 but with the same connection type). I've contacted him, but didn't really understand how he's doing it.

I don't have code problems at all with this LCD, as it uses HD44780 chip which is pretty straightforward.

I just don't know how to connect it. I thought about using some IDC socket connectors with ribbon cable, but then I fall into the same problem again when it's to be connected on the other end.

Even if I solder it to a strip-board, I'll have short-circuits. Eclectic then gave me the idea of using a sharp knife to break the line on the strip-board very carefully. That can be an idea, but I wanted to make sure there's nothing else I should consider before doing that.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andrew Cowan

If you don't have a driver and wanted to use PHAnderson's chip, Wulfden's K118 PCB has space for a 2x7 pin configuation. Even if you don't need the driver, you may be able to get some inspiration from Wulfden's PCB.

Andrew

Last edited:

Texy

Dont bother with headers or sockets - just wire each individual pin. I would still use ribbon cable to keep it tidy though - with care ribbon cable can be split a half inch, sleave stripped and bare wire soldered. Thats how I connected my 3310 lcd - doesn't look pretty, but it works:D

Texy

marcos.placona

Yeah, I was kinda trying to avoid having to etch a PCB myself. It would be a solution, as I can easily draw something and stick it to the back of my LCD.

I have never etched a PCB myself, but am seriously considering doing that for this, and for some soic8 to dip converters.

I've noticed that most of the new components are coming on smd packages, and I'm spending loads of money buying smd to dip converters (although they cost just $0.50 on futurlec).

Any other solutions?

marcos.placona

Dont bother with headers or sockets - just wire each individual pin. I would still use ribbon cable to keep it tidy though - with care ribbon cable can be split a half inch, sleave stripped and bare wire soldered. Thats how I connected my 3310 lcd - doesn't look pretty, but it works:D

Texy
Yeah, you might be right. I thought about this too. it'll do the job at the end of the day.

eclectic

@Marcos

It's the 3-section strip board. An example here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=1922&doy=16m7

Alternatively, and with GREAT care, cut the tracks with a blade.
And, take even more care to ensure that they ARE cut!

I've soldered two separate FRM10 boards:
1.With 14 pins in-line.
2.With 2 rows of 7 pins.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/PCB-Interconnect/Double-row-PCB-header-plug/28945

To each LCD, I've soldered 14 pin or 7 x 2 sockets.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Connectors-Multipole/PCB-Interconnect/Double-row-sockets/76076

I can swap between boards, very easily.

e

Attachments

marcos.placona

Thanks guys. I'll see what can be done with the info you just gave me. I like the idea of a new board, and eclectic's idea seem very nice too, although I don't have any three section stripboard right now. I may try some cuttings there ;)

ArnieW

Hello guys, I've recently purchased an 8x2 LCD, and am having a hard time about how to actually connect it to a breadboard for example.

The 16x2 I have is straightforward as it has it's connections all inline. But the 8x2 has connections like this:

As you can see, it has two lines of connections, and if I for example solder a moles (pin headers) to it, I can't plug it to the breadboard because of the spacing.

I've seen a post from eclectic here where he actually managed to do that (on a 40x2 but with the same connection type). I've contacted him, but didn't really understand how he's doing it.

I don't have code problems at all with this LCD, as it uses HD44780 chip which is pretty straightforward.

I just don't know how to connect it. I thought about using some IDC socket connectors with ribbon cable, but then I fall into the same problem again when it's to be connected on the other end.

Even if I solder it to a strip-board, I'll have short-circuits. Eclectic then gave me the idea of using a sharp knife to break the line on the strip-board very carefully. That can be an idea, but I wanted to make sure there's nothing else I should consider before doing that.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi Marcos,

I've had to do the same thing, as I wanted to wire up a 40x2 display like eclectic. The photo shows what I did to solve the problem. An etched board would be neater, but this was done in half an hour.

On the LCD side I've soldered in 2 x 7 pin header pins. The IDC header plug connects to this, with pins 15 & 16 floating (it is a 16 pin header). The strip on the right plugs into the axe033 board, pins 1 to 14.

cheers, Arnie

Attachments

Tom2000

Marcos,

If you want a mechanical mount as well as an electrical mount, you might cut some long pins off of a DIP wire wrap socket. Solder the pins to the LCD module, then spread them out so each row will connect to one side of your breadboard.

Form the last .250 or so of each pin back to the vertical so you can plug it into your breadboard strip.

Although not very clear in the attached photo, that's how I mount the LCD module on my breadboard. (Although the module I use already came equipped with long pins, the same should work with wire wrap socket pins.)

Good luck!

Tom

Attachments

marcos.placona

Thanks guys. Those tips sure gave me some ideas about how to do it.

I'll see what suits me best. Though I'm still keeping the custom pcb in mind :p. That'd be a good exercise I presume.