O.T: cheap but usefull usb microscope

tony_g

so i recently decided to order a usb microscope for the benefit of scrutinizing some pcb's i will be making for my brother and ended up buying this little gem from none other than everyones favourite place.....yep you guessed it ebay.

now i know there are far superior models out there that are alot larger on the price tag but as always and im sure im not alone i have to stick to my very tight monthly spending budget to be able to buy the assortment of different components or gizmos that catch my eye.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-LED-2-MP-Digital-200X-Microscope-Video-Camera-Endoscope-/350604731992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a1aba658&_uhb=1#ht_3613wt_1186

it only cost me shy of $22 with the ever popular free shipping from china,so i was expecting a long wait but was quite happy when the postie dropped it in my mailbox this morning.
it was shipped out about 10 days ago and the seller also sent me a message saying delivery could be delayed due to chinese national holiday but supprisingly it came pretty quick.

now considering what it cost it is actually quite good, the only thing at the moment i can fault it on is the focus adjuster is a bit tight initially but has started to ease up a bit so hopefully will get better with continual use.

it has 8 led's around the lens with brightness control as well

as i said considering its "budget" cost the pictures sent back to view on the screen are actually good enough to be able to inspect pcb tracks for damage or bridged pins on i.c's.

i have added a few pics of my initial play with it but just to point out the focus ring is still a bit stiff so they are still occasionally off focus just a hair.

its definately a handy little tool to add to the kit box if you dont have one and would like to get one but are on a tight budget.dpak 7805.jpgpcb caps.jpg

Buzby

Most of your pictures look crystal clear, but a few look like you've sprinkled some sugar on your chips, instead of salt & vinegar !

Is that because of the stiff focus ring ?

tony_g

i think that might be a combo of the focus and some small dust particles, the pics were of an old pci card from the pc so it could be the dreaded dust bunnies lol

tony_g

a few look like you've sprinkled some sugar on your chips, instead of salt & vinegar !
i used to prefer prawn cocktail, but you cant get that flavour out here,the wife thinks im crazy when i try to explain how nice they taste lol

Buzby

i used to prefer prawn cocktail, l
A perfect example of two countries separated by a common language !.

My chips are not the same as yours.

We British would never put prawn cocktail on our chips, but we might eat some prawn cocktail flavoured crisps !

tony_g

yep thats what im referring to, or the marmite flavoured ones.
im a brit as well, just living out here, every now and again i say crisps and she looks a me funny like im speaking a foreign language, even more when i occasionally say chips meaning fries and not crisps.

if i go back to using english words and meanings i get "the look" if i have confused her and she doesnt know what im talking about,even funnier is my son is a born canadian but there are certain words he says and pronounces with the british accent like me, its funny in conversation when he natters away like a canuck with the occasional brit word and accent lol