Numeric 1999 or 9999 LCD Suggestions

Pongo

I need a 3 1/2 or 4 digit (1999/9999) LCD, around 0.5", 12.54mm, digit size for a picaxe project. I can find pinned displays and a multitude of driver chips but I wondered if anyone has specific parts they've used and can recommend. Could be more digits but I'm not looking for dot matrix alphanumerics, just a good old multimeter style numeric display, and I don't have the power for LED.

matherp

These displays are excellent but be very careful with the wiring: VSS and VDD are the opposite way round to all other displays with a 8x2 connector that I've used. Get it wrong and the magic smoke appears - don't ask me how I know :-(

Pongo

Futurlec sell 3.5 ($4) and 4 digit ($5) LCD displays but I have not used then.
Do not recall many if any threads on such displays in the last so you may be somewhat on your own
Thanks for the suggestion. You're right, I did search will very little success...

srnet

There are some very good serial LCD displays that will do different size fonts, like in the picture.

But they are based on dot matrix graphic LCDs unfortunately, so not what your looking for.

Attachments

Pongo

What happened to this? "I'm not looking for dot matrix alphanumerics"
Good catch! Poorly phrased, I should have written "I'm not interested in the common 8x2 or 16x2 alphanumeric displays with piddly little characters" which is what I had seen suggested to others who have posed the same question on here before. I had not previously seen those low character count, large character size, ones that SAborn linked.