Not connecting to picaxe chip

Kimochi

Hi, I've got a pixace starter board, but the programming software isn't connecting it. I'm using a 28X chip (says PIC16F886).

I've created a completely new com port using the usb converter (I'm using a usb cable), and the cable gets recognised by my PC.

I've passing a 5v supply through the board, as instructed by the manual.

Here's an image of the board:

What am I doing wrong? I've tried two different chips.

This really is urgent; GCSE deadline coming dangerously close!

Thanks.

manuka

So your chips are down! This could be any number of tedious things. Are you sure the chips ARE 28X PICAXES & not just plain PICs? Smooth power supply ? IC correctly inserted? Have you got a multimeter to check supply/connections? Any direct serial cable around you can try on a serial D9 PC? Another board or nearby user who can help check things/test your chips? Have you even a 08M around to check that USB adapter cable with ? Tried on another PC?

Dippy

Which USB converter? (product type/name/number)
How much current is the project board taking?

Like Stan suggests; can you get hold of a PC with a serial port to try?

Lesson: never leave your homework until the last moment.

tarzan

J3 jumper?

Picture shows J3 in right hand position.

From manual:
When used with an external battery or regulated 5V supply, jumper J3 must be in the left hand position. In this case the supply voltage (connected to connector CT2) is applied directly to all components on the protoboard.
Do not apply more than 5V with jumper in left hand position, or you will fry the Picaxe.

Last edited:

Kimochi

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I ordered the chips from RapidOnline, and the product was definietly named PicAxe 28x (although that's not what it says on the chips themselves).

I'll try reading up on the J3 jumper settings.

5 weeks left until hand in.

papaof2

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I ordered the chips from RapidOnline, and the product was definietly named PicAxe 28x (although that's not what it says on the chips themselves).
The PICAXE chips do NOT have a label identifying them as being PICAXE. Several people have produced templates for printable labels for the chips and these have been posted to the Forum. Search for
label print

John

Kimochi

OK thanks for all the help. I own a PSU that outputs user-defined voltages and current. I'll pump 4.5V through the board, what current should I use?

Thanks.

manuka

Picaxes draw only a few mA themselves. NB. Some bench PSU give pretty noisy DC outputs - just use 3 x AA (4½ V) batteries at this fault finding stage. If you are having such problems I'd recommend start REALLY simply with a 08M & breadboard. These ALWAYS WORK - I've never had one (of 1000s supervised) fail = a great confidence booster for newbies.

tarzan

28x1 Pic16f886 Electrical Specifications

The maximum allowable current draw for the PIC16F886 is stated in the datasheet.
Please refer to these figures.

Attachments

Kimochi

Picaxes draw only a few mA themselves. NB. Some bench PSU give pretty noisy DC outputs - just use 3 x AA (4½ V) batteries at this fault finding stage. If you are having such problems I'd recommend start REALLY simply with a 08M & breadboard. These ALWAYS WORK - I've never had one (of 1000s supervised) fail = a great confidence booster for newbies.
This is a high quality PSU used for testing circuits, it's not a cheap job. What exact current should I put into the protoboard? As my AAA batteries each provide 1000 mA, I'm going to guess it's 1000 mA. Am I right?

Thanks.

tarzan

Current flow.

Fundamentally understanding what’s going on with current flow in a circuit is essential learning. The flow of current in the circuit will depend on the nature of it, not how much current is available at the supply. Unless you have an under supply problem.

See previous post.

Kimochi

OK, now when I try and connect it says "Ready to download", but then almost instantly comes up with the same error as before.

What could this be? I've tried multiple chips.

manuka

Kimochi: Circuits take what current they need- you do NOT need to specify it. PSU current settings are a limiting feature to stop too much flowing if a short circuit is present. That "1000mA" (or whatever) is in fact 1000mAh & is a measure of battery capacity in milliAmp.hours! It could provide 1000mA for 1 hour, 500mA for 2 hours or 100mA for 10 hours etc.

If you do not know these electrical basics, then the implication is that you indeed should start REALLY SIMPLY with PICAXEs. Park your fire-breather & grab a 08M for starters, then work thru' the ideas we've offered already. HAVE YOU TRIED ANY OF THESE ? It would help if you say where you are- other Forum readers may be nearby.

Last edited:

Kimochi

I'm fluent in BASIC, and many other languages. I'm ok with circuitry, although I'll admit my knowledge on the theory needs improving.

However, right now all I want is for the software to be able to program my scripts. I really don't have the time nor resources to start with a different board, or study the manual in much depth. Learning is for after.

Any ideas guys?

manuka

I really don't have the time nor resources to start with a different board, or study the manual in much depth. Learning is for after.
!!! This estemeed forum best helps those who help themselves! Did you try ANY of the suggestions we initially gave? Stan

Last edited:

tarzan

Actually now that I had another look at it; all three jumpers J1,J2,J3 should be in the left hand position.

Did you read that also?

Kimochi

!!! This estemeed forum best helps those who help themselves! Did you try ANY of the suggestions we initially gave? Stan
I've tried everything you've said, and I'm very grateful. Before I came here I did try and extract answers from sites listed on Google.

I'll try moving the other jumpers too, and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Dippy

What type of USB / serial cable are u using???????

Have you tried the pcb+PICAXEs on a PC which has a dedicated serial port?

Have you definitely confirmed that the USB-Serial converter is OK?

tarzan

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe022.pdf

From manual: http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe022.pdf

Instructions:
1. Solder the components in place. The default position for the jumper headers
is (viewed from front with download socket at top of board):
J1 left hand side
J2 left hand side
J3 left hand side

If you had read this, in all probability you would have it up and running by now.

masaV

hello,i no start new tread i think ask here my proplem,
i have before many year ago,win xp and pic starter kit 08 chip. now i start use programmer again.
new pc is win 7 64bit and programmer have ols serial cable connect, now have proplem, pic BAS805 and logigator software no connect to board,alltime come info/error,board no connect or no power,
win 7 device center i looking com 1 have ready and working ok.
what drivers i must install or use win7 com 1 port ????
i no found driver, only usb drivers but cable is old serial port cable. how i can move program to chip ??????????
working that old cable at new win 7 computer ? i test 2 program, bas 805 picaxe and logigator,no simulate and connect.
why no connect chip ?
2 program same proplem,no connect to chip ???
i go to picaxe bas805 setting-serialport-test and bush green button and led flash short, but i try move program to chip no can,alltime same,no connect or no power error.

nick12ab

hello,i no start new tread i think ask here my proplem,
i have before many year ago,win xp and pic starter kit 08 chip. now i start use programmer again.
new pc is win 7 64bit and programmer have ols serial cable connect, now have proplem, pic BAS805 and logigator software no connect to board,alltime come info/error,board no connect or no power,
win 7 device center i looking com 1 have ready and working ok.
what drivers i must install or use win7 com 1 port ????
i no found driver, only usb drivers but cable is old serial port cable. how i can move program to chip ??????????
working that old cable at new win 7 computer ? i test 2 program, bas 805 picaxe and logigator,no simulate and connect.
why no connect chip ?
2 program same proplem,no connect to chip ???
i go to picaxe bas805 setting-serialport-test and bush green button and led flash short, but i try move program to chip no can,alltime same,no connect or no power error.
So the LED test works. Try the loopback test - connect Serial In and Serial Out together and send something using the terminal. and see if you get it back.