No dirsB command allowed for 20M2

billv

This is a strange bug.I'm using 20M2, and the basic editor will not allow me to configure Port B.
let dirsB = %00000000 dosn't work-the dirsB text stays in black.
let dirsC = %00000000 is OK.
But this is only in Logicator. Axepad and Picaxe programming Editor is OK- the dirsB appears in pink.
And I doing something wrong here or is it the Basic Editor in Logicator?

nick12ab

You're not doing anything wrong - it must be another Logicator glitch.

I'll add my own which is definitely a bigger deal - typing a capital C in the Logicator BASIC editor using the Shift key types a little c followed by a big C and typing a capital C using caps lock produces just a little c. And also Alt+F4 doesn't close Logicator - really annoying.
Code:
Typed on keyboard:
dirs<hold shift>c<release shift>
Expected output:
dirsC
Logicator output:
dirscC

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This is a strange bug.I'm using 20M2, and the basic editor will not allow me to configure Port B.
let dirsC = %00000000 is OK.
But this is only in Logicator. Axepad and Picaxe programming Editor is OK- the dirsB appears in pink.
And I doing something wrong here or is it the Basic Editor in Logicator?
Its working fine (in PICAXE sense), just not colour coding correctly. If you want to you can add the missing dirsB string into variables.rv in the installation folder.

However if you are 'typing' programs a lot you should really consider using PE or AXEpad, the text editor in Logicator is only really designed to 'display' the converted flowchart, it is not a full blown editor.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
This seems to be a colour highlighting issue which we will investigate, however the port configuration should still work, just that the colouring differs to what was expected.

typing a capital C in the Logicator BASIC editor using the Shift key types a little c followed by a big C and typing a capital C using caps lock produces just a little c.
We will also investigate that issue.

billv

Thanks for all the help guys. I did manage to fix the problem. It was the variables.rv file, just like "technical" said.
In my case, for reference, here's what I did...
I looked for anything with similar to "dirsC", and made another string. Here's the changes.
dirsC - add dirsB
pinsC - add pinsB
trisc - add trisb
outpinsC - add outpinsB
All good. Let me know if you think I've made too many changes.

Yes, there are some serious limitations with Logicator as you develop deeper programs. I find myself
constantly switching back to the PPE.
Most annoying is no Syntax checking or simulation from the Logicator editor. PPE handles it fine.
I love the way Axepad allows you too minimize chunks of code. It's got a nice 'feel' about it too.
But you know what would be really great- you know how in Visual Basic when you start typing,
you get a pop up list of all options.
This feature speeds up coding so much it's not funny. Dead easy to do it as well. There's not that
many commands/variables ect, ect- should take a pro a couple of hours to implement for Picaxe.
PS:
Can I go off-topic here and ask another question? Thanks....
While I was digging around inside Logicator, I found the "Custom" folder. Got really excited,
followed the instructions, but the custom command I made does not appear in program.
What's the trick here??
Thanks

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
While I was digging around inside Logicator, I found the "Custom" folder. Got really excited, followed the instructions, but the custom command I made does not appear in program. What's the trick here??
Create a .BAS file for that command, add a BASIC flowchart block to your program, click that block then click the "Custom Command..." button.

billv

Yeh, got it. Thanks mate.
I was just expecting it to be there already waiting in the Command list.
Would be nice to have a "User" section in the command list. All good. Cheers.