No COM Port AXE027 Windows 10

SolidWorksMagi

Hi, I've been trying the current drivers, FTDI drivers (confusing website) but I cannot seem to get the AXE017 up as a COM Port although it is in the USB controllers list.

marks

Hi SolidWorksMagi,
Loooks like you 've only half installed the driver software
the first part helps identify it as a com port.

So when you plug in the axe027
PORTS (COM & LPT) should come up as you have found.

you need to double click on
! Communications Port (COM3)
and update the driver also

there is no need to download any driver as it is also in the PE6 EDITOR
software you have already installed.

located here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\USB Drivers\AXE027

inglewoodpete

Hi, I've been trying the current drivers, FTDI drivers (confusing website) but I cannot seem to get the AXE017 up as a COM Port although it is in the USB controllers list.
As per marks' message, it's not clear where you are trying to source the drivers from. Don't try to install the ones from the FTDI website - unload them and start again if you have.

On my PC, the drivers are found here (I don't know why!!). Yours could be in either location. Only use the drivers supplied by RevEd. Follow the installation instructions found here, under the "Resources" tab.

C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Local\Programs\Revolution Education\PICAXE Editor\USB Drivers\AXE027

Peter

SolidWorksMagi

Hi,

Okay, I UnInstalled the current driver for the COM3 device and it went away. I had installed my "Phrase-A-Lator Development Kit" cable and it comes in as COM4.

I installed the "CP210x_Universal_Windows_Driver" ... tried plugging in the AXE027 cable, then tried UpDating the driver and selecting in the RevEd AXE027 folder for drivers, but Windows just say's "The best driver is already installed."

When I run the PICAXE "axe027_installer.exe" it has me disconnect the AXE027 cable before running, then say's the "wizard" will assist when I plug in the cable after install.

When the "axe027_installer.exe" finishes I plug in the AXE027 cable and this is what I get;

and when I then tried UpDating the driver and selecting in the RevEd AXE027 folder for drivers, but Windows just say's "The best driver is already installed."

I no longer have COM3 (might have been that PAL cable) and I can't get anything serial for the AXE027 cable.

inglewoodpete

1. If you don't have a CP210x cable, get rid on that driver.
  2. Ensure that the AXE027 cable is UNPLUGGED.
  3. If you have the AXE027 driver loaded, unload that too.
  4. Leave the AXE027 unplugged.
  5. Reboot the PC.

Then find the AXE027 installation document (link is in my post #3, above). And follow the instructions TO THE WORD.

It really is easy if you follow the correct process.

erco

SWM: Please follow IWP's advice above. I wasn't saying that the AXE027 is a CP2102 (I don't have one, don't know), just that some Windows updates cause sudden compatibility problems in a previously working system. Sorry for any confusion.

SolidWorksMagi

1. If you don't have a CP210x cable, get rid on that driver.
  2. Ensure that the AXE027 cable is UNPLUGGED.
  3. If you have the AXE027 driver loaded, unload that too.
  4. Leave the AXE027 unplugged.
  5. Reboot the PC.

Then find the AXE027 installation document (link is in my post #3, above). And follow the instructions TO THE WORD.

It really is easy if you follow the correct process.
Hi,

I downloaded the axe027_installer.exe from the PICAXE website and the AXE027 drivers. I UnInstalled the device ... ReBOOTed the PC ... I then ran the axe027_installer.exe

After I clicked on the Setup button the screen went blank;

I ReBOOTed the PC again, then I plugged IN the AXE027 cable and this is what I get;

When I Right Click on the AXE027 cable in the USB controller list I try to UpDate the driver to the latest downloaded from the PICAXE website, but Windows 10 Pro just say's "The best driver is already installed."

SolidWorksMagi

Hi,

I solved the problem. For some odd reason Windows 10 Pro was assigning the AXE027 drivers to my external USB SSD drive.

I found this out when looking at the icons in the "Devices & Printers" screen.

When I UnPlugged and removed that device, ReBOOTed the PC, then plugged IN the AXE027 it came up as a COM Port.

After plugging in the SSD drive I did have to ReBOOT the PC again to start using apps. But now it's fixed!

Thanks for the help people!

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Next time if you right click over the 'USB Serial Port' entry that Windows thinks is not correctly installed (because it has an exclamation mark) and then 'update driver' and then browse to the folder containing AXE027 drivers it will generally correct this issue straight away.

SolidWorksMagi

Next time if you right click over the 'USB Serial Port' entry that Windows thinks is not correctly installed (because it has an exclamation mark) and then 'update driver' and then browse to the folder containing AXE027 drivers it will generally correct this issue straight away.

View attachment 24593
Hi,

Yeah, I was trying that, but it didn't work. I only got the driver sort of fixed after unplugging the USB External SSD drive. Then I was able to get the AXE027 drivers to I guess partially install.

Today I get to work and find that although the AXE027 shows up as COM5, and in the PICAXE Editor 6.1.0.0 it shows up on COM5, It doesn't seem to find my PICAXE 28X2 module on a RoboGuts™ circuit board! The PICAXE 28X2 module on the RoboGuts™ circuit board is working because I can program it on another computer.

I tried Right-Clicking on the AXE027 PICAXE USB (COM5) in the Device Manager and pointed it to the C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\REVOLUTION EDUCATION\PICAXE EDITOR\USB DRIVERS

Windows say's the best drivers are already installed.

inglewoodpete

From what you are saying, (barring a bad wire connection at either end of the cable), your AXE027 is working.

At that point, I suggest you run the cable test wizard from the Programming Editor (PE6).
  1. Run the Programming Editor
  2. From the Workspace Explorer (Upper Left), click on "Configure and Test"
  3. On the COM Port tab of the dialogue box that opens, Click the "Test Download Cable" Link
  4. Follow the instructions - particularly Test 1 - Loopback test.

SolidWorksMagi

From what you are saying, (barring a bad wire connection at either end of the cable), your AXE027 is working.

At that point, I suggest you run the cable test wizard from the Programming Editor (PE6).
  1. Run the Programming Editor
  2. From the Workspace Explorer (Upper Left), click on "Configure and Test"
  3. On the COM Port tab of the dialogue box that opens, Click the "Test Download Cable" Link
  4. Follow the instructions - particularly Test 1 - Loopback test.

Hi,

Okay, I did that "Configure and Test" and despite only having two hands, I was able to even perform the +5V/0V test.

After the tests all passed I plugged the cable back into the PICAXE 28X2 module and now it's programming.

I know it's not plugging the cable into the PICAXE 28X2 module because that's something I tried a few times, so the "Configure and Test" did do the fix.

Thanks!

Now I'm programming chips again!