Newbie with DMD display & needs to speed up loops

OLDmarty

No additional scratchpad memory in 40X2s relative to 28X2s. From manual 2:
Code:
PICAXE-28X1, 40X1, 20X2 parts have 128 scratchpad bytes (0-127)
PICAXE-28X2, 40X2 parts have 1024 scratchpad bytes (0-1023)
Thanks for that, i was probably thinking about the X1 versus X2 parts, it's been a long time ;-)

Buzby

'DMD_Source' at v10, 'DMD_Driver' at v5, and 'DMD_Creator' at v7

Great, we are in step !.

Is it now the $00/$FF problem we need to solve, or something else ?

Edit : Not sure I'll be able to change DMD_Creator soon. I've not got VB on my Win 10 machine, and can't find my VB 6 installation disk.

Last edited:

OLDmarty

Is it now the $00/$FF problem we need to solve, or something else ?
Edit : Not sure I'll be able to change DMD_Creator soon. I've not got VB on my Win 10 machine, and can't find my VB 6 installation disk.
The $00/$FF problem isn't a major problem for now, just something to keep an eye on when we try frames that are almost full of $FF data. ( i know it'll bite us later).

For now we can continue with simple frames/animations to keep debugging the next step of adding more animation frames etc.
(i think a previous post of yours refers to a 24 frame animation system).

I think we were happy with the current animation speed of the 4 frames, and lots of code was trimmed and 16Mhz resonators were fitted last time to dramatically increase the overall speed.

I think the next step was heading towards using the 4 slots for better speed performance? or was it for storing more anim frames?

Ultimately, the next BIG step, was to store anim data into flash eeprom like a 24L256 etc, and being able to load different frames/anims into the driver picaxe when needed.
Obviously the different anims would be loaded based on some kind of trigger from external switches/sensors etc, but that's a while away ;-)

inglewoodpete

I'm working on building a new setup. Instead of using 2 of: 28X2's, i'll use 2 of: 40X2's to offer more memory options.
The silicon in the 20X2 and 40X2 is practically identical in all respects. The only practical difference for PICAXE is the number of I/O pins - which includes additional ADC channels for the 40X2.

OLDmarty

The silicon in the 20X2 and 40X2 is practically identical in all respects. The only practical difference for PICAXE is the number of I/O pins - which includes additional ADC channels for the 40X2.
Oh, yes, you're right...for some reason i was thinking 40X2 had double (or more) memory capacity of the 28X2.

Oh well, good to know. Now i odn't have to build up a 40X2 based controller ;-)

Thanks again.