Newbe question, how to fill the eeprom

Dom B

Hi there,
I am very new here and am teaching myself about picaxes from scratch and have never used any programmable micro controller. I have done lots of searching to avoid covering already answered questions but the main problem is that i don't know what anything is called to know what to search for. So i apologise for asking such a simple question ( i probably sound really thick asking it).

Basically i have made a flow chart with logicator and it works well. However i need some pre filled values to be stored in the eeprom to enable some of the variables to be loaded up with certain numbers used as part of the decision process, I can seem to find no way of typing in the numbers to be written to the memory location when the chip is programmed. The manual and help documents don't seem to cover this at all, unless i missed it. I assumed it would be as simple as having the eeprom table open as you do when running the flowchart and double clicking on the memory location and typing in your number between 0 and 255 and that would set the memory to be downloaded when the chip is programmed and it would also be able to use these figures to check the function of the sheet.

Am i missing something? The eeprom table wont let me double click on it and indeed it seems greyed out. I have a registered version of logicator that i paid for.

I am doing a work around for one off testing by putting in a smalll subroutine prog to increment the eeprom until it gets to the number i want then i stop it and run the main program however it always resets to 0 on restart and it won't help when i come to want to write these eeprom values to the chip.

Any ideas?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Logicator doesn't currently provide this function as a menu setting - Logicator only provides a common 'sub-set' of all available PICAXE commands.

However anything that is not a Logicator cell/menu can always be entered using the default 'BASIC' cell, which will accept any PICAXE command.

So pull out a BASIC cell and enter this text

EEPROM 0,(a,b,c,d,e,f...)

where 'a' is the value you want at address 0, 'b' at address 1, 'c' at address 2 etc.

Dom B

Hi there,
thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Is this a feature that will be added to logicator at some point? Even if it doesn't add it as a simulation function but just a feature up in the menu like a fill in a table that writes the command you have shown me at the start of any pic download basic file.

It's a bit of catch 22. Using the basic box to do anything tricky is a bit of a paradox. The reason that i am using logicator instead of writing a program in basic is because i don't know how to write basic and have never used it before.

Is there a listing somewhere where i can see all the available commands and how to use them with all the correct syntax etc. I know putting a comma or a space in the wrong place can stop a program working all together. Even better a list that i can cut and paste into the basic box so there is no chance of typing errors, then i can just substitute the numbers and hey presto.

I have seen some other pieces of software but they are hundreds of pounds and i have no idea if they support this function either.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Is this a feature that will be added to logicator at some point? Even if it doesn't add it as a simulation function but just a feature up in the menu like a fill in a table that writes the command you have shown me at the start of any pic download basic file.
We'll put it on the Logicator wish list, its quite easy to do.

Dom B

It's not on the same topic but if there is a wish list for logicator features another popular addition would be the integration of the word variables, as far as i know at the moment these are done by basic and cannot be simulated in the flow chart.

It's a great piece of software, keep up the good work.:)