New PICAXE Website

administrator

Administrator
Staff member
We are very pleased to announce the new PICAXE website is now live at www.picaxe.com

The website has had a completely new design and we hope it will now be much easier for you to use. A large amount of brand new and/or updated content has also been added, so please do take a browse!

One new feature we would like your help with is the Project Gallery, where you can upload your finished PICAXE projects. This section is designed to showcase finished projects – simpler articles and tutorials will be better uploaded to the new ‘articles’ section of the forum (which will be available soon).

So the gallery was not completely ‘empty’ at launch we have preloaded a few projects extracted from the forum at random – but we would like lots more projects – so please do upload details of any PICAXE projects you have finished, both past and present!

Obviously this is a very large ongoing project, so if you do find any broken links or hiccups please do let us know, the best way to do this is via the ‘Contact PICAXE’ form at the bottom of each web page – please don’t clog up this forum with simple error reports! We are aware that some ‘Create’ schematics/PCBs are still to be uploaded, we are working on this.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all those forum members who helped with this development, particularly hippy, andrew cowan, westaust55 and especially Barney (nbw) for his excellent OhmArt cartoons (http://www.zazzle.com/ohmart/) which certainly brighten up many of the pages!

First looks appear to be a vast improvement over what it was. Its late here so I have only had a quick look but from first glances it looks awesome. I will have a better look tomorrow.

techElder

Picky, but that's what we do ...

Your main menu (Starting with "What is PICAXE?") has so many choices that it has wrapped the last one around to the next line.

Functional? 10 Appearance? 8

On the Project Gallery page (http://www.picaxe.com/Project-Gallery), the text boxes are too small for the text on my FF browser.

Hell, that's all I could find! ;)

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback.

Your main menu (Starting with "What is PICAXE?") has so many choices that it has wrapped the last one around to the next line.
Works fine in all our FF versions - which size screen / version FF are you using?

On the Project Gallery page (http://www.picaxe.com/Project-Gallery), the text boxes are too small for the text on my FF browser.
That's what it is meant to do! - it is simply a 'taster' of the full text as used on many websites - i.e. simply the first few lines of the description text, that you can see in full on the main page for that project...

Excellent job! Very easy to find what you want.

There are some minor display problems with Safari 5.1. For example, in the "Alphabetical Index" view of the command listing, the alphabet links over-run the "Command Categories" link.

Thanks for such a useful site!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Broken link on the sensor PING)) button
There may be a few links which need sorting out and there's undoubtedly a few typos which will have survived proof-reading and we will try to fix things in short order.

For broken links and the like, an indication of which particular link and on what page / URL will help us quickly get to that and investigate and make sure we're looking at the same link you are !

For rendering issues, again which page / URL, browser details and perhaps a screenshot of the issue so it's clear what is happening when we don't see that happening ourselves.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
quick reminder

As stated in the original announcement, please report any broken links or issues *on the actual page* via the 'Contact PICAXE' form at the bottom of that picaxe.com page (rather than in this thread). This is much easier for us as it immediately guides us to the page of the broken link etc. so that we can quickly fix it.

Thanks for your help with this.

papaof2

The site is not up as I post this. It does respond to a ping (reports an IP address ending in .187)

John

baciocco

you are the best

sorry but I translate with google.
congratulations for the site really well done.
also:
Thanks for making me discover this world of programming.
Thanks for doing it with extreme simplicity.
finally I can get my projects out of my head and do it with simplicity and very low cost
have a record of delivery times, (so they were also Italian post office)
you have no comparison with other manufacturers' Arduino, etc. etc. basicstamp "perhaps using more powerful chips, but have sites where difficult to learn and years in my opinion much too costs,
really my compliments for what you do.

Pros:
all
against:
English manuals but easily translatable

I hope that your products become more and more "powerful" and to use semlici

thanks thanks thanks
a greeting from the 'Italian

MPep

@Andrew,

They could be backing up their servers etc. At around this time of night (for me in NZ anyway) this is not unusual.

@RevEd,
Congrats. Hardly looked at the original site, but this new one I really like.
MPep.

nbw

And seeing as tonight it was either a, clean the strange mould in the corner of the shower or b, design something based on the PICAXE site cartoons, I opted for the latter. For the PICAXE inventor mug, I even went all out to allow people to customise and add their own name, or a loved one, or a pet, or a strange shower mould.

p.s. the IC on the PICAXE invention is of course the 08M2 :)

westaust55

@nbw,
Thanks and congratulations on your Ohm-art pics/cartoons scattered through the new PICAXE website which help to "lighten up" the pages
Well done.

nbw

Thanks Westaust! I enjoyed doing them for the site, esp. as I've had truckloads of fun and use out of the various PICAXEs over the years.

cheers
Barney

sedeap

LA-Spanish

Any chances to get soon the Manuals and guides in LA-Spanish ???
If you still need help with that, remember, I'm offering you help since 2007...
In meantime I keep looking in the Spanish thread I start...
(a Spanish section in forum, like francophones, will be nice too)
:rolleyes:

westaust55

@nick12ab,
We were asked by Technical in Post 1 (para 5) and again in post 12 NOT to post our findings of broken links and other observed "hiccups" on the forum but instead to use the Contact us feature to send a message located at the bottom of each Rev Ed PICAXE website page.

westaust55

The Programming Editor as available on the new website has also just been updated and is now at Ver 5.4.2.

Updated CGRAM Wizard to support AXE133 and OLED displays
Updated compilers to latest version
Corrected operation of servo pin,off and servopos pin,off across all parts
Added pause_int command for M2 parts (for use for pause within an interrupt within a multi-task program)
Software now defaults to online hardware .pdf datasheet files to reduce overall installation download size

5.4.1 Updated 18M2 compilers to support '#picaxe 18m2_c' directive for 2.C version 18M2 chips

EDIT:
A though based upon the above revision description:
If you wish to retain a copy of the existing Rev Ed module datasheet and manually update then as and when necessary,
Then BEFORE you install the latest version,
go to the Programs/Programming Editor folder where the PE is installed and change the name of the existing folder from datasheets to another name.
When the new PE is installed it will create a new folder as "datasheets" with the latest manuals but no Rev Ed module datasheets.
Finally remove the manuals from the folder you renamed to preserve the Rev Ed module datasheets.

Last edited:

nick12ab

@westaust55

I will report it using the contact section later.

I've also downloaded the latest Programming Editor version and noticed that the original icon has been replaced with a blurred version of the new PICAXE logo. Unfortunately it would be breaking the license agreement and I'd probably be "prosecuted to the maximum extent permitted under the law" if I changed it to the picaxe forum favicon (which has 32x32 and 48x48 images as well) and uploaded it here. But I can still change the shortcut icon on my start menu. This isn't a 'hiccup' with the website so I can report it here.

EDIT: Message Sent

Last edited:

nick12ab

The intention is to keep adding more and more 'Creates' over time. So keep the suggestions coming in.
Should suggestions be also posted using the contact form or here?

If the second is the case, can switching regulator(s) be added to the Circuit Creator: Power Supply Circuits page?

Also, the new PICAXE site shouldn't use exclusively simple external systems in my opinion since that might deter people who want to start at a higher level from the PICAXE system which is why I'm suggesting the switching regulators and parallel OLEDs. However, separate 'simple' and 'advanced' sections can be used so that it doesn't scare off younger users.

nick12ab

Question - Is the URL of the product page I write the contact form on sent to Rev-Ed or do I need to tell them what page when pointing out a bug?

westaust55

Question - Is the URL of the product page I write the contact form on sent to Rev-Ed or do I need to tell them what page when pointing out a bug?
The mesasge from technical implies so:
As stated in the original announcement, please report any broken links or issues *on the actual page* via the 'Contact PICAXE' form at the bottom of that picaxe.com page (rather than in this thread). This is much easier for us as it immediately guides us to the page of the broken link etc. so that we can quickly fix it.

Thanks for your help with this.

e024576

In general I like the new site, but the Circuit Creator Sample Code for VDrive2 USB Stick Datalogger is bogus - when I paste the code into Editor 5.4.2 all I get is a bunch a syntax errors. We someone be fixing that soon?