New Forum Things I've Noticed

techElder

BBcode

[PLAIN] - Plain text

Disables BB code translation on the wrapped text.

Example: [PLAIN]This is not [B]bold[/B] text.[/PLAIN]
Output: This is not [B]bold[/B] text.

[ICODE] - Inline programming code display

Allows you to display code inline among normal post content. Syntax will not be highlighted.

Example: Inline code blocks [ICODE]are a convenient way[/ICODE] of displaying code inline.
Output: Inline code blocks are a convenient way of displaying code inline.

[ATTACH] - Attachment insertion

Inserts an attachment at the specified point. If the attachment is an image, a thumbnail or full size version will be inserted. This will generally be inserted by clicking the appropriate button.

Example:
Thumbnail: [ATTACH]123[/ATTACH]
Full size: [ATTACH=full]123[/ATTACH]
Output: The contents of the attachments would appear here.

[SPOILER] - Text containing spoilers

Hides text that may contain spoilers so that it must be clicked by the viewer to be seen.

Example: [SPOILER]Simple spoiler[/SPOILER]
[SPOILER=Spoiler Title]Spoiler with a title[/SPOILER]
Output:
Poof! You are spoiled!

techElder

I'm looking for the PICAXE BASIC format for:

[CODE] - Programming code display

Displays text in one of several programming languages, highlighting the syntax where possible.

:D

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
[PLAIN] - Plain text
[ICODE] - Inline programming code display
The [PLAIN] replaces the previous [NOPARSE] which wasn't very well known nor well documented. [PLAIN] is much easier to remember.

[ICODE] is a bit of a mixed bag. I thought it would be handy for placing code in-line, such as Do : Gosub OneSecondDelay : w0 = w0 + 1 : Loop Until w0 > 1000 but it doesn't look so great when it splits across consecutive lines. It's okay for highlighting one word commands like SerTxd.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to use that or not. Maybe not because I think it has a tendency to clutter things and distract from the rest of what's written.

A full list of BB codes can be found here -

https://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/help/bb-codes/

I'm looking for the PICAXE BASIC format for:
[CODE] - Programming code display
We are looking into that one.

Last edited:

techElder

There is a better way to "Like" a post. Some kind of voting system that might keep down folks posting stuff like, "Hippy, you still got it!" :D

techElder

Not really a like or dislike ... The links on the menu bar to "PICAXE" and "Buy Now" don't open a new tab or a new window like a link within a post. Since "PICAXE" is a menu item there isn't a right-click link to a new tab or window until it gets dropped down. Always seemed kind of awkward. Just me?

techElder

The "Alerts" system is a bit different now. According to how you set up your profile, you can get some notice of activity involving you.

Like when newPlumber starts another gynormouse project, we'll all know about it. :D

techElder

Click on a user's avatar or name in the left sidebar to not only see their profile, but see what they've posted recently etc.

newplumber

The "Alerts" system is a bit different now. According to how you set up your profile, you can get some notice of activity involving you.

Like when newPlumber starts another gynormouse project, we'll all know about it. :D
you wont have to worry about any new disastrous projects from me for a bit
I bought a 100watt solar panel from harbor freight just to see what i can burn up
but in time I need to reread allycats awesome info on picaxe reading voltage etc.
so in a few months I should have a "bling bling" house address sign in case I order a pizza :)
but for now I'm just going to take in all you/ everyones text on the new cool forum

AllyCat

Hi,

I thought it worth checking to see if the "10,000 character" forum posting limit still applies. It can be quite restrictive, particularly when including a "colourful" code listing from PE6.

But rather than create a test post,, I went back to edit one of my previous threads (#4 here), which I recall was very close to the maximum (almost literally 9,999 characters).

Sadly, yes the limit is still in place and actually more rigorous than before. I had to delete several subroutines before it would even preview an edited version. Also, unlike the previous forum, the number of characters in the post is not reported, so you don't know if you need to delete a few characters, a few paragraphs, or what? :(

Perhaps time to review that 10,000 character limit?

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
10,000 characters is some 125 lines of forum post of moderate length lines which is quite a lot so the limitation isn't entirely unreasonable.

If posting a large program it is usually best to post it as an attachment, possibly saved as a .txt text file so it will open within the browser or launch Notepad to view it so it doesn't have to be downloaded, saved, and PICAXE Editor opened.

If a large chunk of code is posted to the forum within [code]...[/code] tags it will show in a 'smaller number of lines' window which can make following substantial chunks of code quite difficult. If one ends up copying and pasting into Notepad to get to grips with it then posting in-line doesn't really gain anything.

Buzby

XenForo is an English company, so we should have an 'English (UK)' option.
XenForo.PNGXenForo2.PNG

Drag and drop piccies works !!!. That's great improvement.

Last edited:

AllyCat

Hi,

It appears that my link in #9 above was broken (now fixed) perhaps because the procedure to introduce hyperlinks is rather different (my addition of underlining may have caused the problem). As metioned in the "other" current thread,, I feel that any hyperlinks should be clearly visible without having to hover over them.

If posting a large program it is usually best to post it as an attachment, possibly saved as a .txt text file so it will open within the browser or launch Notepad to view it so it doesn't have to be downloaded, saved, and PICAXE Editor opened.
I will concede that some of my posts are rather long. ;) But one issue is that the calculation of "10,000 characters" seems rather different to the old forum. If I found a bug in the listing in my linked post above, I couldn't simply edit it, but would need to remove over 2,000 characters before it could be re-submitted.

Personally, I hate attached files in the forum (from other users), particularly with a .BAS extension. If I double-click, it will "invade" my personal "recent files" list and having to download, {and change extension to .TXT} and/or open in Notepad++ can be tedious if all I want to do is read the "comments" in the first few lines of the program, If they're not there then I may well lose interest. :)

Cheers, Alan.

newplumber

I will concede that some of my posts are rather long. ;) But one issue is that the calculation of "10,000 characters" seems rather different to the old forum. If I found a bug in the listing in my linked post above, I couldn't simply edit it, but would need to remove over 2,000 characters before it could be re-submitted.

Personally, I hate attached files in the forum (from other users), particularly with a .BAS extension. If I double-click, it will "invade" my personal "recent files" list and having to download, {and change extension to .TXT} and/or open in Notepad++ can be tedious if all I want to do is read the "comments" in the first few lines of the program, If they're not there then I may well lose interest. :)

Cheers, Alan.
Thats kinda over my head because I dont know how it counts a character
I do know if I was to use up in theory 10,000 characters
that would mean I used 9,990 characters which I have no idea what i'm talking about :unsure::eek::D

And I'm with you on the attached files ... love the fact that code can be posted in [code..etc
and love the bigger code window

techElder

Something that has made posting easier is the way you can generate quoted text for a reply.

All you have to do is highlight the text you want to quote. A popup will say "Reply". Click on that and a fully BBCODEd quote will appear. Do that as many times as you want in the process of formulating your reply! :D

With this added feature, a person has no excuse for requoting the whole post they are replying to!

PS. I don't know about you but, [JERKMODE] I don't know why folks have to requote the whole post that they are replying to. It makes it rather tedious to follow the thread and makes it even more difficult to follow the reference for their reply.[/JERKMODE]

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
PS. I don't know about you but, [JERKMODE] I don't know why folks have to requote the whole post that they are replying to. It makes it rather tedious to follow the thread and makes it even more difficult to follow the reference for their reply.[/JERKMODE]
I think it's mostly that people don't realise that's acceptable etiquette, don't want to appear overly curt or offend by trimming things down to just a sentence or two. Some may quote everything so they aren't accused of selectivity or taking things out of context.

I suspect it's mostly people who are still finding their feet and want to tread cautiously, don't want to provoke criticism for doing it wrong or being seen as presumptuous in doing what more established members may get away with.

Usually a pleasant foot note that not everything has to be quoted in full will be enough to let them know it is acceptable to do that.

Of course some people are just lazy, or forget, or are in a hurry, or choose to do things their way, and we just have to accept that. A few may quote everything just to annoy which I have seen done on other forums but not here.