New BBC micro and Picaxe?

bpowell

We're doing something similar in the states, except instead of microcontrollers, we're giving kids a free large-fries if they buy two big-macs... It will be interesting to see which country dominates in the coming generation!

Seriously though, what a great program! I haven't heard of anything like that here.

ZOR

Wonder how the BBC can justify the cost as a Public Broadcaster with Public licence money?

geezer88

We're doing something similar in the states, except instead of microcontrollers, we're giving kids a free large-fries if they buy two big-macs... It will be interesting to see which country dominates in the coming generation!

Seriously though, what a great program! I haven't heard of anything like that here.
I'm all for it, too. Too bad the big-macs have this result:

http://fortune.com/2015/03/10/american-millennials-are-among-the-worlds-least-skilled/

So much for American Exceptionalism

tom

techElder

I don't get my "American Exceptionalism" from the newsmedia, tom. I don't really know what the heck that means, anyway, except as a way to pigeon-hole people so they can be marginalized.

BBC seems to be responsible for a lot of things, just like our PBS, at the expense of the taxpayer.

Can someone tell me what a "... subpar-Raspberry-Pi ..." is? Does that mean one that didn't pass inspection? What a prize!

srnet

Of course, we dont know how much this is costing the BBC.

Maybe, with alll the other players involved, its costing them very little.

Haku

Hey on the subject of kids and coding, my 8 year old godson has expressed an interest in learning to program - anyone have any suggestions as to where to start? My skills are somewhat basic, literally BASIC, but to most of my friends/family I begrudingly bear the title of 'whiz-kid' because too often I've fixed computer problems they've had.

bpowell

Hey on the subject of kids and coding, my 8 year old godson has expressed an interest in learning to program - anyone have any suggestions as to where to start? My skills are somewhat basic, literally BASIC, but to most of my friends/family I begrudingly bear the title of 'whiz-kid' because too often I've fixed computer problems they've had.
My son (7) and I have fun with an old PICAXE 08M...I put a little circuit together for him with 3 LEDs on it...I then wrote a quick little program to blink them using symbols...then we started coming up with ideas on how to blink them...and he "writes" (dictates) the code..."High RED" "Pause 1000" "Low RED" he loves it!

stevesmythe

@Haku - there have been some efforts to get programming concepts into young minds... e.g. take a look at http://scratch.mit.edu/
I'd echo that, as there's a good chance that they'll come across Scratch at (primary) school. To make it more fun and allow real-world devices to be controlled, you can connect a Picaxe to Scratch using Rev-Ed's excellent S2P application.

I've also found that primary age children can get on quite well with Logicator, which allows progression to Picaxe Basic.

Haku

Just spent 5 minutes playing with Scratch and have to say I'm impressed with it, that looks ideal for the first steps of programming! Thanks for the suggestion :)

If he gets on well with Scratch I'll introduce him to the Picaxe world, enabling him to blink LEDs etc.