Need Help With IR Input to 08M2

JohninZona

Hi, I am John in Arizona and I have been struggling for two days to get IRIN or INFRAIN to work on an 08M2. I have tried all the code examples I can find and none seem to work. I did a ham radio project a couple of years back, using the same IR remote that I am using now....it worked great back then. After trying all the IRIN code examples I have found, I am thinking it may be the remote that is the problem. It is an RCA Systemlink 4 remote, sold as a universal remote and is designed to support 100s of different TVs and audio systems. When I got it, it was programmed to use with a Sony TV and it worked well with the 08M2. I have read multiple reports here about the necessity for the remote to be SIRC compatible. I can see the IR decoder outputting a sequence of pulses to the 08M2, but the 08M2 seems to totally ignore them. My question, is if the remote is not outputting SIRC signals, would the 08M2 attempt to decode them and just output "garbage" characters with the sertxd command or would the 08M2 totally ignore the IR sensor and output nothing with the sertxd command? At this point I am not sure if I need to be looking at the 08M2 and the program, or trying to get the remote back to outputting SIRC commands. I don't have a Sony TV to use to get it set up as a Sony remote, and I am not aware of a way to do it without an SIRC compatible TV. Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks, John

inglewoodpete

Hi John, Welcome to the PICAXE forum. I was lucky that I had a Sony TV a few years ago (it's now defunct, but the remote handpiece lives on).

In general, PICAXEs are programmed to accept SIRC for Sony TVs and reject (ignore) all other IR signals. It's a bit like all devices with an IR decoder - eg. your TV ignores IR signals intended for your stereo, PVR or DVD player.

One question: are you running your 08M2 at the default speed (4MHz)? This could affect its interpretation of the IR signal.

A few years ago, hippy published some code which could be run on an 08M (08M2?) or any other recent model. Basically, it used a string of PulsIn commands, reading and storing the length of each IR pulse. Once the required number of bits had been received, code turned the pulse length numbers into 0s and 1s and consequently into the code received, as hex.

Edit: If using the InfraIn2 command, you must manually set to chip's speed to 4MHz (SetFreq command), if running at a different speed. The preferred IrIn command temporarily flips the speed back to 4MHz while waiting for a suitable IR signal.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The PICAXE IRIN commands should ignore anything which arrives which is not in Sony format.

You can check that things are working by writing code which will check for the presence of any IR regardless of what protocol is being sent -

Code:
#Picaxe 08M2
#Terminal 4800

Symbol IR_PIN = pinC.3 ; <-- Adjust to suit your hardware wiring

Do
  Do : Loop Until IR_PIN = 0
  SerTxd( "IR detected", CR, LF )
  Pause 250
Loop

JohninZona

Pete and Hippy, thanks so much for the reply to my questions.....I was able to confirm that the problem IS with the remote and is not a problem with my program or the 08M2/IR sensor......I was also able to borrow a Sony remote from my son and when I used it everything worked as it should....so the RCA Systemlink 4 remote clearly is not putting out SIRC commands. If I can find a way to put it back into Sony mode, all should be fine....but I will need to find a Sony TV to get it set up correctly.....I wish the remote shown on the Picaxe Store was still available.....anyway, I am off and running again on my magnetic loop wireless remote tuner project.....Thanks again for the help !!!! -John in Arizona

eclectic

Pete and Hippy, thanks so much for the reply to my questions.....I was able to confirm that the problem IS with the remote and is not a problem with my program or the 08M2/IR sensor......I was also able to borrow a Sony remote from my son and when I used it everything worked as it should....so the RCA Systemlink 4 remote clearly is not putting out SIRC commands. If I can find a way to put it back into Sony mode, all should be fine....but I will need to find a Sony TV to get it set up correctly.....I wish the remote shown on the Picaxe Store was still available.....anyway, I am off and running again on my magnetic loop wireless remote tuner project.....Thanks again for the help !!!! -John in Arizona
John.
You could also consider making your own transmitter.
See

http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual2.pdf

page 118 onwards.

e

erco

Welcome, John. I still use IR in a lot of projects and there are plenty of universal remotes out there that work fine (IRIN is among the easiest commands to use). Even the 99-Cent store has a universal remote ($2 actually) which can be put in Sony TV mode.

My favorite for many years is this one on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Portable-Remote-Controller-Control-for-Television-TV-Set-TV-139F-E/183046433583 I order several at a time. Most multi-device remotes have maybe half of the buttons usable but on this dedicated TV-only remote, every button but one sends a Picaxe-readable IR code. Very useful for various projects. Order one now, you'll thank me later. Set the device code to 049, and write that in Sharpie inside the battery door.

Attaching my map of button codes. Only that little P/N button fails to emit a code. Also of course, the top left button, which is the SET button which you use to select the code 049.

Attachments

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If I can find a way to put it back into Sony mode, all should be fine....but I will need to find a Sony TV to get it set up correctly
I am not convinced you will need a TV. Once set to send Sony codes you just need to use a PICAXE with IRIN to report which codes are sent by each button and then write the main PICAXE program to match those numbers.

JohninZona

Thanks again to all who replied. I did figure out how to set up my remote as a Sony remote.....I found the Sony code online and used it to reset the
remote I have.....all is working fine now......it is great to have this forum to get help. -John