My Shield?

cactusface

Hi,
When I first saw the AXE401 shield I got the kit and quickly put it together. But then was'ent sure what I was going to do with it! I would'ent be buying any of those fancy add on shields, but it was the idea of modular units that plug together that I liked. Do I really need two voltsage regs and all those I/O pins that seemed to have no order at all. I'm not trying to put the shield down, it's great, but perhaps it's horses for courses!! (Perhaps I'm a bit too methodical with a touch of OCD thrown in)..

So I set about building my own simpler version of the shield? keeping to about the same size board, but using a Picaxe 20M2 (or 20X2), the two ports are just pulled out to the sides, on 8 pin raised sockets, power and other signals are on the 2 6 pin sockets.

I included a 32K EEprom and the DS1307 RTC with battery backup, a 2 pin header for a battery connection, the usual power and programming sockets.

My first add on is a LCD board, this uses an 18M2 with the new? free LCD driver code. As usual a 10K preset controls the contrast while an 2N7000 fet controls the backlight it being active high, controlled from c.0 on the 18M2, not much on this board really. The 3 pin header gives these options for the backlight: link 1-2 B/L control via software, link 2-3 B/L forced on, no link B/L disabled.

This project is going to be my Greenhouse DataLogger, in the mean time here's a couple of pics?.

If anyone's interested I can post all diptrace files, etc.:eek:

Kind regards
Mel.

Attachments

Last edited:

PaulRB

Very good. You should put that in the completed projects section, with the diptrace files, for everyone to reference in future.

Paul

MFB

Nice work, and I also think Rev-Ed missed an opportunity with their shield and DIP modules. They could have included features like an on-board SD card interface (along the lines of the OpenLog) and RTC to produce a stand-alone data logger. Must be a worthwhile market for such a product that would not be prohibitively more expensive than the existing PICAXE shield.

Billo

The AXE401 is supposed to be used with Arduino shields, not that I'm letting out any secrets. That's good and bad. Good, because it gives the potential user a lot of 'finished' projects to play with, bad because it has to try to follow the messed up I/O pattern of the Arduino. I guess the Arduino folks wanted things all lined up nicely, with the digital I/O on one side and the analog I/O on the other and everything going from 0 to n in a nice orderly fashion. Which in practice has no real benefit. It would have been much better (Arduino wise) if they just wired each chip pin to the nearest shield header. But...

So, that all said, I really like what you've done. Actually, I have been thinking about creating a couple of 'Arduino' like shield bases for PICAXE 14 and 20 pin chips. They'd have upward compatible header layout (14 pin shields will work on the 20 pin base) and built in USB interfaces.

Nice work.

mrburnette

When I first saw the AXE401 shield I got the kit and quickly put it together. But then was'ent sure what I was going to do with it!
The AXE401 is supposed to be used with Arduino shields, not that I'm letting out any secrets.
Personally (and I use multiple Arduino boards), I think the "concept" works because it allows easy prototyping. Whether PICAXE or ATmega, the end-user is starting out with something at a higher level than just a uC. When connected to the PC and the IDE is open, one can actually communicate with the micro-controller at that point. I like having a level of comfort at the beginning of any project that I am not starting out with a dead microcontroller or sensor. The add-on shields generally provide (unless they are defective!) a known add-on, too. Simple 'test/example' sketches allow the experimenter to quickly check-out the peripheral.

So, I think a real draw to both novice and advance experimenter is that the foundation that they are starting with is more firm than what one starts with from discrete parts. The building-block concept also forces a kind of logical thinking even when one is not particularly tuned to work that way. The logical thinking process that is forced upon the user unknowingly is likely why these products do so well across a wide range of disciplines.

- Ray

manuka

AXE401 shields of course are popular, but their 28X2 engine is often an overkill for many PICAXErs.

For simpler "8/14/18/20" setups perhaps just adapt the ever popular PICAXE friendly Kiwi Patch Board (KPB)? These nifty boards are exceedingly versatile & now widely available via (Phanderson (USA), MicroZed(Australia) & Surplustronics(NZ) etc for ~US$5-7. Any UK suppliers? If not -why not?! MicroZed say-
"Prototyping board that is ideal for PICAXE, or any other electronic, projects. Has space for a programming socket (supplied), a 7805 5 volt regulator, and connectors for signals and power. The layout is similar to solderless breadboards and prototypes can be quickly transferred. Free PEBBLE layout software can be downloaded from the Net.
KPBs are extensively used here in NZ both "as is" (with the latest batch now lucidly silk screened) & chomped to suit, but for DIY shields simply add side header pin sockets to suit PICAXE I/O & pins from your own top PCB. You could have a swag of PICAXE plug ins for peanuts at this rate!

In contrast the latest Jaycar flier shows a range of their new ARD***** shields at quite electrifying prices. This 433 MHz one seems far more costly than a DIY equivalent...

Disclaimer: Although I use & promote them, I've no commercial interest in the design, manufacture or sales of Kiwi Patch Boards. Stan.

Attachments

Last edited:

cactusface

Kiwis...........

AXE401 shields of course are popular, but their 28X2 engine is often an overkill for many PICAXErs.

For simpler "8/14/18/20" setups perhaps just adapt the ever popular PICAXE friendly Kiwi Patch Board (KPB)? These nifty boards are exceedingly versatile & now widely available via (Phanderson (USA), MicroZed(Australia) & Surplustronics(NZ) etc for ~US$5-7. Any UK suppliers? If not -why not?! MicroZed say-
KPBs are extensively used here in NZ both "as is" (with the latest batch now lucidly silk screened) & chomped to suit, but for DIY shields simply add side header pin sockets to suit PICAXE I/O & pins from your own top PCB. You could have a swag of PICAXE plug ins for peanuts at this rate!

In contrast the latest Jaycar flier shows a range of their new ARD***** shields at quite electrifying prices. This 433 MHz one seems far more costly than a DIY equivalent...

Disclaimer: Although I use & promote them, I've no commercial interest in the design, manufacture or sales of Kiwi Patch Boards. Stan.
Hi Manuka,
I too have used kiwi boards, can't remember the chaps name now but I got a few from him in NZ, where as you know their produced? Not seen the new one's he did say there was something in the pipeline but that was over 1 year ago, shame has he offered me a few samples, think it was going to be bigger headers?. But now I have Diptrace a PCB seems the better way of going about it, even if I do have a few wire links on the top, Double sided would be nice but with the laser printer toner method! how? not impossible but iffy? (Please someone prove me wrong!!)
Here's a couple of Kiwi pictures, the second shows the headers carrying signals and power to all boards.

Regards
Mel.

Attachments

manuka

Very nice job -with some sort of top cover it'd be near commercial! I've just been in touch with NZ firm Kent Electronics re UK outlets for their Kiwi Patch Boards, & they inform Tech Supplies "may" take them on.

However no agency is yet settled & they're still open to firm inquiries. Hands up anyone in Blighty?

Dippy

Nice job Mel.

It's a tricky one with shield bases. Stick an 08M on the Base and people will say "not enough I/O", stick on a PICAXE Fireball XL5 and other people will say "Aaargh! £1.50 extra and legs I might never use!".
IMHO I'd go for the latter - cheaper and more convenient in the long run.
After all, you can never have enough mains outlets in your kitchen ;)
Personally, I think many ardweeny shields are quite pricey but they seem to sell. Different size wallets in the weenyworld perhaps.

I like all these little plugable boards to make things modular.

I'm quite a fan of the 'backplane' style as mentioned recently by someone.
I saw some good quality baby edge connectors in RS.
I'm afraid they were 75p each which will frighten budgetbayers.
I prefer to pile things 'sideways' than have a quadruple decker, but each style has its place.

Watchout Stan! Doing a sales pitch might get Eclectic's big red erase button twitching :)

cactusface

Hi All,
Thanks for your comments and ideas, it's good that we are a forgiving community and allow each to have his own ideas and plans even if their wrong. And yes I've been wrong more times then I'd like! My first shield project is complete, well the actual building is. The sensor board is a bit bare with only an extra memory chip on it, 2 headers for DS1307's, an LDR or photo diode, the bottom one was going to be Humidity, but it seems you can't do it cheap or easy??
the 3 pin header on the right is for a simple analogue key-pad.

I have a coding problem which you can see here http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?21661-Temp-values-to-EEprom-and-bck!

Anyway here's another couple of pics of my layer cake DataLogger.

Regards
Mel.

Attachments

cactusface

Hi Jakob,
No I used Diptrace, and yes it automatically puts the jumpers in, if you ask it to make a single sided PCB and allow jumpers! Think I tried Eagle long ago but did'ent get on with it too well, and Diptrace is FREE with Picaxe libraries and making your own components and patterns is fairly easy.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Mel.

DDJ2011

In your first photograph on the previous page you have servo-lead type connectors plugging to the connectors on your board. Can you tell me where you got these from and what they were called? I have been searching for the components for servo lead connectors and have had no luck.

Edit: To clarify - I'm interested in the male compnents and the female housing, and whatever tools are required to assemble them.

Many thanks,
DDJ

jtcurneal

DDJ2011 said "I have been searching for the components for servo lead connectors and have had no luck."

I don't if it would be a big help to you, but on this side of the Atlantic, Brian Riley
www.wulfden.org has servo connector cables in 10", 14" and 68" lengths

I have done business with him many times and have always been satisfied.

Joel

cactusface

Hi DDJ,
Thanks for your question! The female crimp and housing parts come from Bitsbox, who you will soon find on the web, very reasonable prices and postage. The Male parts came from a manufacturer who I can't recall at the moment, it might be worth doing a search but try Harwin, who I remember do a range of crimps and sockets, headers, etc, etc.

No tools required, well just a good pair of small pliers!

Hope that might help, here's an image of the shield working, not quite 100% and I still have a coding problem too..

Regards
Mel.

Attachments

Last edited:

fritz42_male

stick on a PICAXE Fireball XL5 and other people will say "Aaargh! £1.50 extra and legs I might never use!"
Showing your age there Dippy. I preferred Stingray. Ahh Marina! You may have been a mermaid but al least you had legs so my fantasies were at least possible.

;-)

bluejets

In your first photograph on the previous page you have servo-lead type connectors plugging to the connectors on your board. Can you tell me where you got these from and what they were called? I have been searching for the components for servo lead connectors and have had no luck.

Edit: To clarify - I'm interested in the male compnents and the female housing, and whatever tools are required to assemble them.

Many thanks,
DDJ
You can get complete servo extension leads from Ebay (China) and cut in half for a plug lead or socket lead. No bothering with connectors. Just be aware of the size of the cable used. (very thin) ok for signals but thats about it.

There are usually also the same listed with 22awg leads but usually from UK or Aus. and cost a bit more but I found they are worth the extra. Available I think up to at least 500mm long.

Or you can get plug/socket sets with the shrouds and pins same places.
Ebay search ...servo extension leads......or servo plug and sockets

DDJ2011

Hi Mel,

Thanks for the link - don't think I've come across that site before and it looks to have some bargains!

Cheers,

DDJ

cactusface

My Shield finished project...

Hi all,
Sorry for the delay in publishing the "Shield" Diptrace files. I've had a few problems and building a new PC has been one of them.... It was great to win the Project gallery prize, the AXE091 Development board will be very useful. What I am going to do is put it in the finished projects, where I will proberly repeat some of the above. Beside the Shield itself there are some add-on boards too, I can add.

You can find it under:
User Projects - Miscellaneous.

Thanks to all for being interested in this project. :D

Regards
Mel.

Last edited: